PDA

View Full Version : What's it take to race??

Dragnut06
01-08-2007, 06:02 PM
I've been really thinkin about getting into racing my quad, i was wondering what all it take to race. I see alot of you guys are sponsored and was wondering if you guys can tell me about getting in to MX and if there any tips or anything. Right now i have a 04 450R stock but eventually will put more into it i wanna to get the bike paid off before racing so i still have time to get good at racing and get aftermarket stuff on my bike. I'm hoping to get out to the Red Bud this year and ride there track. Thanks

Nick110
01-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Dont worry about buying all the expensive stuff right away, get Nerfbars and a tether cord to get started because those are required to race. Go to a few practices at tracks and try out a couple races to see if you still want to do it. Then if your still interested start saving for suspension, revalves, standard, or long travel what ever you want to get.

Dragnut06
01-08-2007, 06:50 PM
well i already have nerfbars been lookin at getting a tether cord and whats the difference between standard, race, and long travel. Long travel for jumping and race if or flattracks?? im guessing...

GIXXER1KR
01-08-2007, 06:59 PM
A little bit of ballz and brains!!!

Dragnut06
01-08-2007, 10:10 PM
yea i figured that much

Punk'd
01-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Just practice as much as you can.

You will need Nerf bars, killswitch and maybe some updated shocks.

Goodluck bro, Let us know how it turns out:)

400exrider0004
01-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Practice and suspension

I would go to your local track and see if ya like it and then if you do I would practice as much as you can! Then I would get suspension. I know it seems that putting money into the motor first would be smart but even if you have all the power in the world you cant keep up with the guys that float across the whoops.

Dragnut06
01-08-2007, 10:32 PM
what suspension would you guys recommend? I thank you guys for replying and keep them coming. The only track i know of around here is Red Bud. Many may know of if you keep up with MX they have the Nationals there. Which made me mad this passed year (2006) cuz i got my quad the day before Red Bud so i had to sit there watching all this bikes go by me and i couldn't jump on my quad and ride cuz i was working the race, i was a flagsmen for the race which was exciting as hell even tho i almost got blasted by Ricky Carmichael in a baja truck but it was great and hope to work it again this year if i have the chance.

Snoopy450r
01-09-2007, 11:40 AM
number one is money. number two is practice.

SwainRacing
01-09-2007, 06:35 PM
LOTS OF MONEY! There are a few things that you do need to race mx. I dont race to much MX, but I am sure you need Nerfs and and teather kill cord. Run it stock to see if you like it, then start adding stuff to make it handle better then motor stuff.
Good Luck and have fun

wanta450
01-09-2007, 07:27 PM
all you really need is a bike and the willpower and determanation to do it thats it

Dragnut06
01-09-2007, 07:31 PM
How much money are we talking??Anything else beside nerfbars and tether cord and bunch of money??

honda4life72
01-09-2007, 08:05 PM
dedication...... if u fall down get back up and go at it again

GIXXER1KR
01-09-2007, 08:16 PM
S U S P E N S I O N ! ! ! ! !

Dragnut06
01-09-2007, 08:51 PM
whats a good suspension?? i wanna get elka but they are a lil pricey and then i would have to get them revalved from what i hear. What do u guys like and use?

trx450jason
01-09-2007, 08:58 PM
if i was you i wouldnt put money into supension until after you race and decide its what you really want. just get a teather kill switch and go out and race..i think you can be more competitive on a stock machine than you think

pudamac12
01-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Motowoz shocks and smc fabrication arms are an awesome combo and don't cost nearly as much as some of the other overpriced arms on the market.

Prey
01-09-2007, 09:20 PM
its, funny, i see these posts all the time and the 1st thing for me that comes to mind is never mentioned.

IMO commitment is the #1 requirement to race.

off the track..... money, time in maintenance, driving, pratice, training, washing ... all this will blow away a weekend (and your weekdays) in the blink of an eye along with your bank account.

on the track you either go for it or you dont (doesnt change the fact a racer is still a racer if they are more reserved), but on the track if you are thinking about working a certian obstacle a certian way and are timid.... and do not fully commit to it, you are asking to be taken away in an ambulance.

you can ask any racer in here, its the least spoken about but most important word in racing. before the suspension, pipe fancy goggles..... Commitment is what it takes to race IMO

Dragnut06
01-11-2007, 02:30 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Prey

Yes, i agree to be good at something u must be 100% committed to it, or its not going to work out. Is there any tips you guys have about racing or have learned from racing?

Sjorge450R
01-11-2007, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Dragnut06

Yes, i agree to be good at something u must be 100% committed to it, or its not going to work out. Is there any tips you guys have about racing or have learned from racing?

you cant be scared to take chances. If you are doing XC, you cant be afraid of the rocks,huge upills. It just takes a little getting used to and you have to force yourself outside your comfort zone. Also, to be good, you have to be agressive. I found this out the hard way. You just gotta be able to bump people everyonce in the while and not let it bother you. Also, make sure you yell at slower traffic when you are coming up on them.

Prey
01-11-2007, 06:37 AM
im not trying to promote anyone riding over their head, i was just trying to say as a person grows as a racer they will take more chances, and when they take those chances they NEED to know they are going to accomplish their goal,

i agree some aggressive is good, too much is bad, and no newbie racer should be going out racing like the wind, i guess my advice would be; as a new racer you should take it easy your 1st race or 2, see how things work, watch what other racers are doing (watch them from the time you get there to the time you leave and dont be scared to ask them for help, where to put your pit, registering, staging, inspection is not neccessarily common sense) and concentrate on picking good solid lines. Chances are, unless your name is barry hawk, you are not going to be winning trophies right away (especially as the level of talent in all classes has improved a lot since those days along with the turnout). you have plenty of time to pick up trophies down the road, just view your first few races as a learning expierence.

get your AMA or ATVA card, and if you are going to run local district races make sure you have a district card too.

be very particular with and spend all the time neccessary in maintaining your machine or else you will suffer more DNF's than you would like

and lastly, if you decide you like racing and are going to stick with it, be prepared mentally and finacially to get hurt at some point. most likely not when you are new as you will be more timid. getting hurt/accidents are not always in the racers power to prevent (JJ is a fine example of this). Accidents occur from totally queer situations, from mechanical failure and from other racers racing too aggresive without the skill to back it up. I would be willing to wager by a great majority of all the racers racing more than 1 season have been hurt at one time or another, its just that our enjoyment and passion for the sport out-weigh the risk, and i hope you will enjoy it as much.

chris46250r
01-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Get your butt in shape!!! It really dont matter much if you have a fast, smooth and fancy bike if you cant last long enough to finish the race.

Dragnut06
01-11-2007, 11:26 PM

get your AMA or ATVA card, and if you are going to run local district races make sure you have a district card too.

be very particular with and spend all the time neccessary in maintaining your machine or else you will suffer more DNF's than you would like

Where can i get an AMA card at any track will have them and how much do they cost? What type of maintence do i need to do?

Sjorge450R
01-12-2007, 05:08 AM
all of my tracks sell them. they are $39 i think

trick250r
01-12-2007, 08:00 AM
ok... whoever said commitment was #1 was right. if youre willing to wake up in the morning, go to work/school, come home and work on the bikes in the afternoon mostly all week, go to the track on sat or sun (which costs a lot of money bc of gas and such) spend all day at the track (and if youre not in shape, let me say that the first few races arent going to be fun bc you'll be sore as hell from riding and getting hit with roost) then come home, wash the bikes, and most likely figure out what you need to fix on it for next week (again usualy more money). #2 in my books would be determination. #3 would be money because... well, it just helps. #4 is balls... end of story. its a lot of fun to race... in the summer i live for it even. but its not an easy deal. you have to bust your ***. im not trying to discourage you, but i just want to let you know how it really is.

Prey
01-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Dragnut06

Originally posted by Prey

Where can i get an AMA card at any track will have them and how much do they cost? What type of maintence do i need to do?

you can get ama/atva and district card at the track (at least the ones i have been to, i would reccomned not getting at the track though, its just another line to stand in) or you can get a card online at the ama or atva web site. the amam/atva card is $39 a year (i think). the district you can also do at the track or mail the appropriate paper work to your district with a check ($12 a year i think)

maintenance .... 1st thing I do is give a quick wash, once the plastics are clean enough to get off, i strip the plastics, gas tank (and also plug any fuel/vent lines) and the skid plates, once in a while i will strip the air box too (use a screw clamp and a plastic bag to cover the intake of the carb).

then i give her a good washing, let it dry, change the engine and tranny oil, check coolant (replace it every 6 months or so depending on how much i ride). then i check the frame/sub-frame for cracks and bends. check the a-arms mounting bolts for tightness, check the ball joingts and tie rod ends for tightness and play, check the steering stem bolt and the dampner bolts, check the tie rods for bends and the wheels for alignment. grease the fittings. check the handle bar clamp bolts

replace the plug every few months and check the valve clearances (when i replace the plug)

take off the exhaust and clean it with steel wool

check the swinger bolt, check the carrier bearing by trying to rock the rear tires, every few months i will pull the carrier and grease it, lube the chain

check rear brake pads, pull off the front tires, clean the calipers and check the front pads

pull off the rear tires, take tires and plastics outside and give em a good washing and put the machine back together

and lastly give her a good coat of wd-40

with beadlock rims you really have to wash them lying down all the crap between the ring and the rim just collects in the bottom between the ring and rim

stocktires
01-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by GIXXER1KR
A little bit of ballz and brains!!!

More like a little bit of brains and ALOT of balls :devil:

trx400exxracer
01-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Commitment
dedication
preparation

TWILES
01-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Get +2 a-arms that use the stock shocks and an axle. Get a set of MX tires. You don't have to have beadlocks. I have a set of MX Holeshots 20" front and 18" rears on my wife's stock wheels and have tried to blow them off and haven't succeeded yet. HRC kit is worth the money even if you never race. A good set of bars is nice. You ride with your elbows up and out. Find a set you like that keeps you wrist straight enough to ride in that position. The stock bar bend will get you hurt. They put your elbow in and over your knee's. You have no control over the bike if you can't feel it. I have Renthal ATV race bend on my wife's and they are OK. I like the 2001 YZ bend but the stearing stem is too short.

Width is major. Stock width on a rough track will literally get you killed. The bike jumps around tooooooo much. The tires are hard, square, and with the extra width, predictable. You'll need the extra motor from the HRC kit. Make sure you get your shock adjusted correctly. If you don't know how, find someone who does. That will get your hurt.

Thats as basic as you can get a be safe.

Take your time learing and if you have a good riding area where you can get around with THAT set-up keep going. The dumbest thing you can do is ride track only. You learn things on the track you can't learn anywhere else. Use these where you ride and take the things you learn riding back too the track. Once you learn to jump you will start gaining confedence over night. Learn to ride smooth and then fast. Joe Byrd used to race locals here sometimes and I got more out of watching him than I EVER got riding. In other words, if you can see something done right, pay attention.

honda4life72
01-14-2007, 02:52 PM
well my first race was this past saturday and i was so freaking nervous i couldn't stand it... but i placed third :D

Dragnut06
01-14-2007, 07:19 PM
congrats!

honda4life72
01-15-2007, 10:58 AM
thanks

Latemodel32
01-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Get ready the season is just around the corner here is the michigan 2007 Race schedule

http://www.smithsuspension.com/documents/2007_ATV_mx_Schedule.pdf

sandmanblue
01-15-2007, 12:54 PM
There's a dfference between what it takes to "start" racing and what it takes to continue and progress. If you haven't started at all, it just takes you showing up and being willing to learn.

Commitment has little to do with it on your first race. You're not going to be catching major air, nor flying through the whoops. You're going to be slow, just like every other guy that went racing the first time. Just be committed to finish the race and not kill yourself, or hit anybody else. Plenty of guys will see the new guy and hope you don't screw up their quad, so ride smart and be patient. Don't expect to win... It ain't gonna happen...

Once you've begun the process of learning how to race, the commitment comes from an unwillingness to lose and a continuing desire to push yourself, even when you're tired, or after you've bailed hard. It is a learning experience and you will grow as a person for doing it.

Go the the track and watch the local guys first, ask the track officials what you need to do to race, then show up, sign up and prepare to get addicted...

It's also more fun than anyone can ever explain.

crazymgtnut
01-15-2007, 01:03 PM
You dont need lots of money to race. I race Indoor Right now im running my 06 450r with just a few mods Rev Box FMF pipe, and Bar's, O yea Holeshot tires. but you dont have to have the tires to race. Just always Rember it's about having fun in the 1st place.

trost66
01-15-2007, 09:17 PM
I think confidence is an important thing also. Also don't ride over your head. Also it alot better to jump to far than come up short. Also just have fun and make new friends thats a big plus. Also don't be scared to ask another rider a question, most people at the track would love to give advice.

Dragnut06
01-15-2007, 09:28 PM
thanks alot guys for all the information..