PDA

View Full Version : which skid plate?

csimp3
01-08-2007, 05:00 PM
what skid plates are you guys running? how much are they, how do they hold up, and how well do they fit? thanks

HiperEX
01-08-2007, 05:24 PM
i am also wonderign the same thing the biggest thing to me is who has the oil drain holes already in the skid, i dont feel like taking the skid plate off every time i need to change the oil

hard one
01-08-2007, 07:01 PM
pro-armor skid but had to cut off the tabs to use nerf bars $130.00 guards very well and is light but is a bitc to take off to change oil!

8 out of 10!

onesavage
01-08-2007, 07:53 PM
I have a PRM skid plate, it has holes to drain the oil but they need to be inlarged for the engine case drain plugs..

cost I think 120 but you can check their website for pricing

Bronson90
01-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Company: Royal Plastic Products, Inc.
Owner: Ryan Bidwell
Products: Royal Pla-Skid Underbelly Skidplate & Royal Pla-Skid A-Arm Skid Plates
Models: Tecates, LTZ/KFX/DVX400, YFZ450, Blaster, Raptor, 400EX, TRX450R & Custom Skids
Colors: Black, Blue, Red, Yellow, Natural & Custom Colors (White is only 3/8" thick, all other's 1/2" thick)
eBay ID: rybid97
Email Address: rbid97@yahoo.com

Ryan has excellent customer service and super fast shipping. I think he makes everything to order, I know he didn't have a red one in stock when I order mine. So he machined and shipped the same day I ordered it and it arrived a few days later. Email him directly and I am sure that he can answer any further questions you may have. I think he mainly sells on eBay and he accepts Paypal, Personal Checks and Money Orders/Cashiers Checks. You can also pay him directly if you don't have any eBay account. I hope this information helps!

kc 300EX
01-09-2007, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't recommend a UM swingarm skid..... I bought one and it lasted about 5 minutes. After that it was bent up into my chain and sprocket. 5 minutes after that, it was laying in the trail with all the mounts ripped off.

These weren't the easiest 10 minutes a skid plate has ever been through, but still.

I ordered a Protect and it's on its way...

jfarrar30
01-09-2007, 07:10 PM
ok i had the ac skidplate.cut my own oil holes in it for the engine.other than that it worked great(for a mx'er)they are thinner(1/8th i think) and lighter than most.has the bends on the sides to protect the frame rails better.mounts pretty easily

7 out of a 10 id say

just got the pro armor

its looks nice but i havent took it out of the wrapper and wont be.it does not bend up the sides of the frame and barely covers the bottom of the frame rails all the way across.im sorry i like to keep my paint on my frame if i can.no engine oil holes.way to many mounting points and heavy for a mx'er.

5 out of a 10

just ordered an extreme fab skidplate.probably wont have the drain holes.covers 90% or the sides of the frame rails.and is made of 1/8th thick alluminum.ill tell more about it when i get it

cbr
01-10-2007, 05:53 PM
i got a prm 1/4 inch s.arm skid, took it thru some knarly 4x4 type trails and it looks good as new (after it was washed). pro armor frame skid , i think it was suppose to be a 1/4 inch, but i believe it was actually 5/32-oh well.i need to mill out the holes for the drain plugs though; other than that nice quality. i dont remember the prices??? maybe $225-230 with the shipping.

suzukiray
01-17-2007, 10:43 PM
After dealing with the NIGHTMARE of putting an AC swingarm plate on one of my customers LTRs I bought a UM for my LTR & I LOVE the thing! It is welded together from 3 separate pieces & it fit PERFECTLY!! No issues at ALL!! It bolted right on! Not even close on the AC! I used to prototype exhausts @ Vance & Hines and I KNOW how things should go on & the AC DOESN'T! Ray.

Derno24
01-18-2007, 05:18 AM
PRM all the way not much of a debate I have used other brands on other quads and always come back to PRM. They usually spend the time in detail like covering the side rails and having a flare up to protect from the side.

Honestly it really comes down to your preference. I would however stay away fom AC as their stuff usually never works (mounts) right.

nlramsey0688
01-22-2007, 10:43 PM
i boght the pro armor chasis skid and the swing arm skid plates, rode with them on once and that was the end of there days...not only did the bolts vibrate out with locktight on them but i sheered the bolts right off the bottom of the chasis skid plate. As for the swing arm if you hit barely hit something expect the plate to be in your chain.. both are pieces of #$*@... if you ride hard definitly would not suggest those i was pissed!