PDA

View Full Version : Planning on buying a 250r

blasterandy
01-08-2007, 04:45 PM
I am planning on buying a 250r
Alright i was wondering if you all have ever had any problems with the 250r trannys like this kicker gears and what not. I know the oil and the clutch needs to be replaced but other than that i don't know. How about a rough price if i rebuilt the engine myself. All the labor. Not including a bore/hone.

Dave83
01-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Crank ,bearings,seals= about 300
On the tranny,3rd gear is the usual one to go.Just look at each one real good when you rebuild,also the shift forks and drum.Kicker gears have never been a prob for me,the clutch basket is something else to inspect,not only for wear and grooves but for cracks if it is a stock basket.

blasterandy
01-08-2007, 05:30 PM
How often do you normally have to replace those(Crank ,bearings,seals)
And what should i do if one of the gears should go out.
What is a shift fork and drum.
Sry i am such a noob :D ;) :)

honda380
01-09-2007, 04:41 PM
if you check the clearances on on the crank and how much play it has, you will be fine. bearings should be replaced with the crank if your doing it, if not youll know when they go, same with seals (it will smoke white like crazy from trans oil getting into the cylinder). if a gear gives, just pray! if you dont crack the case, replace all of them and do a bottom end overhaul. the shift drum and forks to my knowledge are what actually change the gears from one to another, the forks can bend and the drum can wear resulting in hard shifts and poping out of gear. i have an 88 that none of that stuff has been replaced in, the only thing i had a problem with was the clutch basket which i replaced, the rest are usually pretty solid items. im pretty sure thats all of it, someone correct me if im wrong, i want to know how good i play mechanic. Corey

atvmxr
01-10-2007, 06:53 AM
there is more to look than just the motor when buy an R. If you can, get him to pull the plastic off it. Areas prone to cracking are around the steering stem support, above where the front shocks mount, the right side motor mount to frame, the rear seat mounting, and the swingarm attachment area. Grab the rear grab bar and shake the quad side to side to check condition of rear bearings and swinger bearings. Grab each of the front tires and try to move them side to side and grab the top of the tire and pull/push it in and out to check for slop in the tierods, a arms bearings, wheel bearings, and ball joints. also check and see how dirty the air filter is. Stand the quad on the rear grab bar and look over the underside for damage..........