PDA

View Full Version : 310r/ TRX 250r top speed?

4LEAFCLOVER
01-08-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm about to purchase this 1986 310r from this guy and I'm wondering what my top speed is going to look like with the following mods he has on the quad already? I'm new to the 2 stroke world and I wanted to purchase a quad that was already pretty much built up that would keep up with 125's, 250's, and some moderate built Banshees. How will I fair against them if I buy this quad? Thanks for the help guys.

This started as an 86 250r. Almost everything is aftermarket on this bike. It has an RPM racing frame w/removeable subframe, Trinity 310 kit, Oversize radiator, cool head, Magura hydrolic clutch, Super coil, Works suspension w/rezzies, +2 +3 a-arms, 6" over axle, Full bore plastic, Custom wheels, Razors, Scat trac paddles, Aluminum Airbox w/K&N/outerware, Billet kicker/shifter/oil cap/brake res/gas cap/brake light etc, braided brake lines, tether kill switch, DG bumper, Six pack rack/cooler, Propeg nerfs, Carbon fiber tank cover, seat cover, laser lights, Lighted whip and more. The powder on the frame is new and has not seen the sand neither has the chrome on the bumper or nerf bars.

deathman53
01-08-2007, 04:37 PM
you can expect about 70-80, depending on the tires, gearing and pipe.

4LEAFCLOVER
01-08-2007, 05:49 PM
So what kinda motor work would it take to make this quad go in the 90mph range? Because if you read my signature, I had a 05 trx450r with some motor work done and I know it was running close to 80-85mph. Will it take alot of work to make this quad run in the 85-95mph range? Thanks for the help!!

deathman53
01-08-2007, 06:03 PM
I very much doubt it went that fast, w/ stock gearing and tire size, it will top out at high 70's.

MOVIN32
01-08-2007, 06:42 PM
A 250R POWER VALVE WILL OUT RUN 310 TO 350 BIG BORE WE SEE IT ALL THE TIME NATIONAL TT RACING. BIG BORE HAS GREAT BOTTEM END 250 RUN ON TOP WITH THE WRIGHT RIDER

kustomfab2003
01-08-2007, 06:53 PM
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~gellett/250r.htm

Use the above link and plug in the numbers needed to aquire the speed you want. The quad you are looking at was set up for sand and has alot more potential on hardpack. If you are riding on dunes it will be geared low for torque, on hardpack you can gear it higher for more top speed.

-Josh

blasterandy
01-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Hey just to let you know quads don't go faster with performance up grades. They need to have the gearing changed for speed to increase. The upgrades i.e. kibbles and a pipe will help it get to the top speed faster but gearing and rev limiter prohibits it from going faster. A limiter will slightly increase speed. 250r's don't have a cdi box i know but i was comparing this to ur 450r.

4LEAFCLOVER
01-08-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm going to be riding it on hard pack so it should go faster than riding it in the dunes. What would be the best way to change the gearing? Would it be to change out the sprockets? Because I'm already sold on getting the quad. It's what I want. I was going to get a Banshee but I really like this 250R and it is already pretty much hooked up. Maybe one day I will get a Banshee but now I will be good if I can get this one and get it to run to the top speed I want. Any ideas on things to do to get it faster would greatly be appreciated.

Originally posted by kustomfab2003
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~gellett/250r.htm

Use the above link and plug in the numbers needed to aquire the speed you want. The quad you are looking at was set up for sand and has alot more potential on hardpack. If you are riding on dunes it will be geared low for torque, on hardpack you can gear it higher for more top speed.

-Josh

kustomfab2003
01-08-2007, 08:28 PM
The best way would be to go up on the size of the front and down on the size of the rear to get more top speed. Also i am sure that your RPM's have changed as well so that will net you more top speed as well since the motor is spinning faster.

That bike is a nice one... best of luck. I basically have the same setup except with a Lonestar frame and such.

Bike has more then most people need, unless you are racing drag only or on salt flats...LOL

-Josh

4LEAFCLOVER
01-09-2007, 04:05 AM
Hey thanks alot Josh for the info. Like I said I should close the deal by the end of this week. It is a very nice quad and I feel in love with it as soon as I saw it. It's going to be kind of odd getting use to the 2 stroke feel because I had the trx450r and as you know the 4 stroke feel is smoother than the 2 strokes is. But I need to get something that will at least give me a chance when I race against my cousins in Fla. Which most of them ride 2 stroke dirtbikes and Banshees. So hopefully this 310r will put me right up there with them. If not I'm going to have to see about dropping somemore money into the motor or something. We will see though. Thanks again man. Take care.

Tavares

Originally posted by kustomfab2003
The best way would be to go up on the size of the front and down on the size of the rear to get more top speed. Also i am sure that your RPM's have changed as well so that will net you more top speed as well since the motor is spinning faster.

That bike is a nice one... best of luck. I basically have the same setup except with a Lonestar frame and such.

Bike has more then most people need, unless you are racing drag only or on salt flats...LOL

-Josh