PDA

View Full Version : calling all hybrid owners...

87250rxrider
01-08-2007, 02:20 PM
i myself own a yz426 hybrid, but the question i have applied to anyone who wons either a yz hybrid or a crf hybrid. i know most of you guys are running oversized radiators, like me. i have a oversized custom fluidyne aluminum radiator, but still have problems with my yz426 overheating on really hot days, which is a problem when i'm at the tracks. i was told to put a fan on the radiator. i was just wondering if any of you guys have fans on yours? if so, what is the setup you are using, and how is it wired into the harness?

thanks,
-Ryan

ss440ex
01-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Me and three others use the OEM stock 250r radiators.
I use engine ice.
No problems here in the Texas heat.
Stock water impellers also.

Good luck.

mojohoits
01-08-2007, 03:15 PM
i use a stock 250r radiator. half water, half coolent. never once had it over heat.

Hybridman23
01-08-2007, 04:40 PM
i use a stock 250r radiator. With pure engine ice never over heated. ive ran it in 93 degree temp

protraxrptr17
01-08-2007, 05:13 PM
I use Evans coolant. It's $40 a gallon, and you CANNOT mix it with any water, but it is amazing how well it transfers heat. I can go run 30 laps, shut it off, and in just a few minutes I can grab the cylinder and head with my bare hands. Somehow it tranfers the heat into the coolant and then to the air flowing through the radiator much better than conventional coolant. Plus, it doesn't corrode your engine and radiator because it doesn't use water. It's also very easy on water pump seals. It's the only coolant safe for Cannondales because of the magnesium valve cover. That's how I started using it.

87250rxrider
01-08-2007, 05:43 PM
well, i use engine ice coolant, seeing as though i am sponsored by them, and i know from experience that it is very good coolant to use. it has only overheated twice on me, and the last time it did so the heat index was around 110 degrees farenheit, but im still interested in adding a fan assist to the radiator(one that i can turn on and off depending on the type of riding i am doing, or the engine temp). i was just wondering if anybody is using a fan assist, where they got it, and how they wired it. thanks for all your responses so far. it seems like most of you have 250r radiators... i have a oversized aluminum one, so i would expect it to work better than those.

thanks,
-Ryan

deathman53
01-08-2007, 06:37 PM
my hybrid has a walsh radiator, it only overheats, if I let it sit and idle. Most of the time it runs around 180.

jrspawn
01-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Hey, as for the fan idea. Its more trouble and hastle to bother with than a little. on a non battery setup you are risking interfearance with pulling power away from the ignition circuit. most of my hybrids will spit out a little coolant after a hard moto. But thats nothing out of the ordinary. And when its overheating, whats it doing, totally blowing everything out, locking up, or just spitting a little out?

I would start with checking your plug, see were your jetting is at and also check for anything other surprises on the plug, might have a gasket issue.

Make sure your impeller seal is good, i change mine At Least every other ride no matter what.

I run walsh radiators on all my quads and like said, it may spit a little out after a hard moto, but not overheating. I have only overheated a couple times in at a national a couple years ago that was a mudfest. Both times both engines(yz426's locked) but it wasnt the engines fault, too much mud.

And running in 110 degree weather, i wouldnt be suprised for anything to overheat, esp. without tons of non stop airflow.

Justin

87250rxrider
01-08-2007, 08:06 PM
after a hard moto it will spit enough out that 1/3 - 1/2 a water bottle amount more coolant will have to be added. i can see why it would do it in the weather i was riding in the last it happened. i just wanted to try to prevent in from happening again, but i guess i'll just live with it. i figured wiring a fan to a non battery setup would be a hassle anyway, i just wanted to see if there was anyone else out there using one.

thanks,
-Ryan

Glamis400ex
01-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Not sur what brand I have but I'm pretty sure it's a dual pass. I run Engine Ice in it as well.

I've let my crf hybrid idle for well over 5 minutes in my garage and never got hot enough to puke a single drop.:ermm:

I run her hard at the dunes as well and everytime I check....still filled to the neck.

jrspawn
01-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Your not running her hard enough:devil:

Honestly though you are very lucky. Every CRF i have had/been around has had bad overheating issues, one of the reasons i deal with yamahas. Also do you have an overflow bottle where you can see any overflow? Most quads including new production quads spit out some coolant every moto, our LTR's seem to do it a good bit also.

Justin

wilbur116
01-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Most bikes that have been screwed with, I mean "jetted". Are to lean. Every 426 I have had needed one to two sizes bigger pilot jets than stock and depending on your pipe and intake a bigger main than stock may also be needed. Do as jrspawn says and check your plug for starters. Also you can check the color of the inside of your exhaust for a quik reference. You want a little black. White/light grey is lean.
If your coolant loss has only happened a couple times it most likely is overheating through the radiator cap. If you loose coolant every ride the water pump seal is a good place to look into.
As far as running a fan, you would need a lighting coil stator to run it. YZ426 stators have no auxilary charging capabilities. That's not to say you could'nt use a seperate recharchable battery to run a fan. But if you keep good air flow to the radiator, avoid excessive idleing and run proper (probably richer) jetting you should'nt need a fan.
Overflow bottles are also very handy on these super deluxe units we call hybrids.

Glamis400ex
01-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Justin,

My overflow tube runs towards the rear and exits where all the carb tubing does....at the swingarm junction. I fill the rad to the tippy,tippy top. If I fill anymore it will exit out the tube.

Like I said, every time I check the fluid it is right to the bottom of the hole in the radiator neck where the tube connects....don't know what else to say except I guess I'm lucky.:ermm:

87250rxrider
01-08-2007, 09:49 PM
i do not have an overflow bottle, which i am aware that i should purchase... i had the overflow tube go straight down from the radiator and i had it ziptied to the frame so when it puked i could look down and see it. the jetting is spot on... the carb is not the stock one from a the 426 motor. i have a lectron carb on it, and it is set perfectly. the quad runs perfect, so thats not the issue. i just think its one of those things that i'll deal with.

BTW, has anyone else ever seen a fuidyne aftermarket oversized aluminum radiator on a quad??... i think i may be the only person who has one. :devil: anyway, its real nice, and actually uses thicker hoses than normal quad radiators.

thanks,
-Ryan

wilbur116
01-09-2007, 11:22 AM
4 strokes can and will run perfectly fine with the jetting on lean side. Lectrons do work great but are difficult to tune at ALL rpm ranges.

jrspawn
01-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Yeah, they will run fine(if not better to an extent) on the leaner side. But, the average rider should not try to tune their quad to the leaner side. It will only lead to short lived top ends for the most part along with heat issues. i try to tune all of my quads and customer quads on the richer side for more a safety, knowing most people never rejet in the winter(which causes leaner conditions) In season for nationals i run the leaner side of jetting to pull a little more power out of it, but engine teardown is performed pretty much race to race. I have owned quite a few Ex-pro quads that were untouched after the season, and pretty much blown away on how all of them run to the leanest side they can, pretty scary, but then again all of the engines are in need of a major overhaul.

Justin

duneflyer1
01-23-2007, 06:12 AM
mine had serious overheat issues for a while, but added the inline fins to the radiator hoses and radiator scoops as well. That seemed to solve the problem. I also added an overfill bottle. I have an oversize PWR. My jetting IS spot on. (done with a dyno) I am sure if I let it idle it would puke though.

woodsracer144
02-03-2007, 09:32 PM
i dont know much about hybrids but i know something s about bike, arent the bikes raditor smaller than the quads? i know theres 2 but still i think there smaller, mabie im wrong,

racerx573
02-04-2007, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
i dont know much about hybrids but i know something s about bike, arent the bikes raditor smaller than the quads? i know theres 2 but still i think there smaller, mabie im wrong,

True, but a bike weighs a good 100 pounds less, and the engine does not have power being sucked from having to haul the extra weight that it was not designed to power.

Try adding an addition bike radiator for the one who's is over heating.. even some inline coolers, or as everyone said a good brand of coolant.. the fan would not be a bad idea either.

woodsracer144
02-04-2007, 07:36 AM
yeah i see the extra weight part, put abou 5 inline coolers in once, that outta keep her cool!

02-04-2007, 09:39 AM
I have a PWR on my CRF hybrid with Evans and never any puking of coolant, not even when it idles. Evans is the best aftermarket coolant you can buy. Plus you can reuse it over and over again!

oj250r
06-04-2008, 06:09 PM
checkin to see if anybody will respond to this cause i have a few questions so if you can respond to this i would greatly appreciate it cause i dont want to ask a question and nobody look at this thread so please repond so i can ask a question or two..

thanks

usp4u
06-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by 87250rxrider
BTW, has anyone else ever seen a fuidyne aftermarket oversized aluminum radiator on a quad??... i think i may be the only person who has one. :devil: anyway, its real nice, and actually uses thicker hoses than normal quad radiators.

thanks,
-Ryan
i have a fluidyne on my walsh yz450....never seen it even puke let alone get too hot.

06-06-2008, 01:58 PM
On my yz hybrid I used a 250r PWR radiator. It wasn't much bigger than stock and ran engine ice. Hot or cold out side it still always boild over with in 15 mins of hard riding.

oj250r
06-06-2008, 06:46 PM
well what do you guys use to see how hot it actually is cause i have a temp strip on the radiator and it says the bike is 215deg in like a few mins... i think it is no good but what temp does it have to be to actually be hot?

06-06-2008, 09:35 PM
I always thought of 200 as getting hot.