PDA

View Full Version : Sparks Timing Key

Grim Reefer
01-08-2007, 07:17 AM
I just ordered the Sparks timing key. I want to install it before I go riding this weekend. I assume I am going to have to replace a gasket. I was just wondering what gasket I need to order and where I can order it from.

JOEX
01-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Left side case cover gasket and maybe the starter cover gasket. You can get them from C&D Racing (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/contact.php)

krt400ex
01-09-2007, 09:41 AM
if u don't rip the gasket, and it is relatively new, then u don't need to replace it. i didn't have to on mine, but then again, it only had 20 hrs when i did it so

Brehmmotorsport
01-09-2007, 09:58 AM
mark sure you got an air gun ready.

nlvredneck
01-13-2007, 04:05 PM
i'm a little confused here:confused: how does changing the flywheel position with a woodruff key make the engine run better??

krt400ex
01-13-2007, 04:08 PM
it advances the spark timing so that it sparks a little bit b4 it normally would stock. that will allow for a better burn, cleaner burn, and it also helps to push the piston down a little harder because of the better ignition...and there is somthin alse im tryin to say...and i cant think of how to say it

nlvredneck
01-13-2007, 08:59 PM
so the cdi reads the flywheel to know when to send the spark i.e. crank trigger like an msd set-up or a crank sensor on a modern automobile?

GPracer2500
01-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by nlvredneck
so the cdi reads the flywheel to know when to send the spark i.e. crank trigger like an msd set-up or a crank sensor on a modern automobile?

Yes. There's a pluse generator bolted to the inside of the flywheel cover. As the flywheel spins and a specific spot on the flywheel passes the pulse gen a signal is created. That's what triggers the CDI to send a spark on to the plug.