PDA

View Full Version : 250r or thumper motor?

the glassman
01-07-2007, 08:56 PM
a friend gave me his old 86 r and i tinkered with it for a few days and got it rideble and hate it..:(
im not much on 2 strokes so i was wundering if it would be worth the efort to do a hybrid or just sell it and get a 400 ex.
Im fully equipped and capable of the fab work just dont know if i should hack up a good stock frame

any ideas or input.:)

yernkie
01-07-2007, 09:21 PM
It all depends, do you want something to ride right now or do you have the time and money to build a hybrid? 400ex's can be picked up fairly cheap anymore, so you could probably sell it (depending on the shape) and use the cash to pick up a decent 400ex. Hybrids are fun, but they do take a lot of time and money.

iamjasyn
01-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by the glassman
a friend gave me his old 86 r and i tinkered with it for a few days and got it rideble and hate it..:(
im not much on 2 strokes so i was wundering if it would be worth the efort to do a hybrid or just sell it and get a 400 ex.
Im fully equipped and capable of the fab work just dont know if i should hack up a good stock frame

any ideas or input.:)
Sell it to someone who wants the potential in the bike if you're not really interested in figuring a 2stroke out. If you like thumpers, get a thumper. If the 250R isn't more fun than a 400ex to you, you really need to sell the R. It would be a waste to hack it in my honest opinion.

*I recently rebuilt my friend's stock but well used 88. To put it back to new condition totalled probably $1800 I'm guessing. That's plastics, tires, bearings, cables, paint, rear shock rebuild, crank, porting, pipe, intake. But mostly it was a lot of time making it right. The R has a lot of potential, but like anything if you're not enthusiastic about it, let someone else do it. Newish 400ex are everywhere. Get one of those or a 450R. Sell it, sell it, sell it.

atvmxr
01-08-2007, 07:05 AM
why would you go to the R forum and ask if you get an R or a thumper. Obviously those of us in here already made that decision.......:blah:

elbine69
01-08-2007, 07:13 AM
please dont hack up a perfectly good frame to put a 4 stroke motor in

01-08-2007, 07:20 AM
sell it and get a 400ex

HB416EX
01-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Sell it and get a 4joke

ChvyCruzen
01-08-2007, 09:44 AM
If you want the geometry of a 250R frame, buy one from lonestar or arens, whoever still makes them and put in a hybrid motor on that. Or buy a 400EX, dont waste a perfectly good stock 250R frame. There are many out there who will want it that way.