PDA

View Full Version : What happened to all the aftermarket 250Rs?

Waynoka Local
01-07-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm sure you are just as aware as I am of the impact that the 450s have had on the 250R community. Just a few years ago, it seems like there were thousands of 100% aftermarket 250Rs being raced on national and local circuits. Now, you'd be lucky to see anything similar. What happened? Where did they go? I know that a lot of them were sold of to fund a thumper, but why aren't they seen anymore? I have been scouring the classifieds for a narrow chassis Laeger's 250R for some time, and I've seen a few, but certainly not many compared to the actual numbers in existence. How many chassis do you think were made over the span of ten years by all the manufacturers combined? Surely it has to a significant amount. You would think that you would trip over them in the dunes or at local tracks, but that just doesn't happen. It's almost like most were sold to people that don't ride them, scrapped, or banished to the island of misfit toys or something.

matt250r21
01-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Good ?, I'm like the only one in District 7 who still rides one. People look at me like I'm from Mars when I pull it out of the truck. They are like what is that? Couple of years ago they ruled everything, now they are all but gone. It is really sad to see no Rs out there.

Rich250RRacer
01-07-2007, 08:50 PM
I have my two Lonestars, and I sure as hell won't sell them.

deathman53
01-08-2007, 04:05 PM
I get strange looks at too, by especailly the young kids. I usually ride my atc250r, they look at a 2 stroke 3 wheeler like it came from pluto, I thought the strange look from people about trx250r's was strange. I don't get it, 16 years of racing domination from 250r quads and now you hardly see them. Lots of money paid for them to disappear in racing. I don't see it being too much longer before the aftermarket support disappears.

blasterandy
01-08-2007, 04:25 PM
I hope esr doesn't go out only for the 450's.

mx3mom
01-08-2007, 05:51 PM
We have two of them and a ATC also. I think there are plenty of them out there, they're becoming an item for collectors just like the old cars. Can you imagine how the next generation will react when you pull one of these out of the garage 5-10 years from now and they see how they scream.

brokenbones
01-08-2007, 07:56 PM
i take mine to the track and the older fellas like it but the young guns laugh i can stay in front of them for a lap or two but those young kids can sure make those thumpers fly at our local tracks

must be the 50 plus hp

MX450
01-09-2007, 10:39 AM
ive got a full lsr/axis roller if your interested, includes everthing but a motor

countypark
01-09-2007, 05:24 PM
My new race quad will be an 86R :macho

450rJam
01-09-2007, 05:36 PM
it is odd.................

even the 250r's that use to run around at the local riding areas have all but gone.

I sold mine after I swore I wouldnt, I bet alot of people went out and bought the thumpers and the old R is just collecting dust in the garage.

after the 450's came out the price on the 250r's came down a bit
maybe people are hanging on to them because they have more in them than they can get out. so they keep it for a back up.

blasterandy
01-09-2007, 07:11 PM
I am sure after about 20 years like the 250r's the banshee will be a thing of the past but become a colectors item and the 250rs will be a very rare comdity. they start putting out 1000cc big bore quads and racing the 700's and have a 450 as a ama class and detune em a lil for all the little kids that can't handle em. I hope that it gets kinda generalized as the motorcycles are. And we arn't considered a bunch of redneck running around on ute's.
Sry for how horribly off topic that was.:D
However i belive that the 250's will be more popular than the banshee. Because they so limited. If you lookin the paper there is like 6 banshees and then maybe... maybe 1 250r. Ya know.:p
Just my very off topic .02

iamjasyn
01-10-2007, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by brokenbones
i take mine to the track and the older fellas like it but the young guns laugh i can stay in front of them for a lap or two but those young kids can sure make those thumpers fly at our local tracks

must be the 50 plus hp

Eh, I line up at olds in glamis and they aren't so derisive. They know what's up. I get nods of respect actually. Make yours look new like mine and see what happens?

peeping TOM
01-10-2007, 01:07 AM
yer looks like a lot of 250r's are collecting dust , but by owners who know if they sold they'd regret it ......as for racing, lads on new 450's hate it when there's a old 250r there because its huge egg on there face's , getting beat by a 18 year old smoker ...

450rJam
01-10-2007, 04:24 AM
spoken like a youngster............................

If I get beat, I give credit where its due, dont mater what your on or your age.

I like to see the 250r's out, they are still cool and I would have liked to keep mine.

not many will think along your lines peepingtom
(your name makes me laugh)

peeping TOM
01-10-2007, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by 450rJam

If I get beat, I give credit where its due, dont mater what your on or your age.

I like to see the 250r's out, they are still cool and I would have liked to keep mine.

wish i was a youngster still ,but was racing trike's 20 years ago ,,,,,,,,,honda of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deathman53
01-10-2007, 02:09 PM
I am going to be racing trikes this year, tracks in Ohio allow trikes. If 5 or more show-up, trikes have their own class. Also, a few of the places that do flat track allow trikes too. Also most of the poker runs, harescrambles, and general woods racing allows trikes there too. I am gonna build one from a new frame w/ dirtbike forks to be used for racing.

450rJam
01-10-2007, 03:57 PM
trikes are great, and the really old stuff is good to see still tearing up the trails/tracks.

about 2 months ago a guy was riding an early late 70's metal gas
tank, two rear shocked dirtbike at the local riding area.
I had to check it out and say hey.

he informed me that he had just bought it the week before for
$10.00 !!!

he put a plug in it and ductaped the seat up (mice or something ate it) and was riding the hell out of it.
I should have gotten a picture of it.

RichM1983
01-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam

I think he meant the new 450 owners would feel like crap when an 18 year old 2 stroke beat them.

450rJam
01-10-2007, 07:20 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh......................

I get confused at times.

thankx for clearing that one up for me (makes more sense now)