PDA

View Full Version : COuld I install a grease zerk my self???

flaneledholes
09-22-2002, 04:00 PM
I took my carrier to my mechanic, he put it in and the lock nut... It all seemed fine and I asked him where did he put the grease zerk at and he said there was no place to put it... I told him he was supposed to cut and make him a hole and then he told me, I guess you will have to take it apart to grease it... The whole purpose of me wanting one with a grease zerk was because I did not want to go through this proccess... When it comes time for me to grease it, do you think I could tap it in there??? And if so, how would I do it??? He charged me $100 to do it too, I thought it was a rip, but the work was done and I have to pay... I gave him a mouth full and told him not to expect me anymore... So is $100 a good deal or what??? Oh and another shop took it all apart, all he had to do was assemble it, the other shop charged me $50 to just tear it down and not to put ne thing on it!!! I also gave them a mouth full...:D

L.Vegas400
09-22-2002, 05:40 PM
i think the stock bearings are sealed

flaneledholes
09-23-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400
i think the stock bearings are sealed

This ia an aftermarket carrier...

L.Vegas400
09-23-2002, 11:31 PM
oops. see what i get for shootin off before i know, or read everything. all it takes to put in a zert is, a threaded hole, and clearence for the zert itself. it might be a good idea to know if where you do put the zert, it will get grease to the parts you want greased. other than that--G2G

flaneledholes
09-25-2002, 06:07 PM
So what you are saying is I cut the gray thing that wraps around the carrier(stock mind you:D ) for clearence, say about 3 inches long and 1 inch wide??? An then I tap the zert in the carrier itself??? Thanx in advance...

L.Vegas400
09-25-2002, 08:14 PM
from what i understand the stock bearings are sealed, meaning even if you do put a zert in it, it wont do any good cause the grease cant reach the bearings

lil400exman
09-26-2002, 10:46 AM
yep just have to grease it good use marine traler bearing grease with teflon!!! its some good stuff!:devil

flaneledholes
09-26-2002, 03:08 PM
I still dont think you guys are getting what I am saying... I have an aftermarket carrier, not a stock carrier... I want to install a zerk so I can grease it regularly without having to take apart all that stuff... I was wanting to know how to install it, because I know it is possible know... Does any body know how to do so??? If so tell me please... The gray thing is what the carrier goes in to hold the carrier in place... Get what I am saying now???

mxracer111
09-26-2002, 08:57 PM
you cant cut or drill the swingarm(grey thing) it will weken it and it will crack.....the only option is take it apart to grease it. thats what i do after every race.

Leo
09-26-2002, 11:44 PM
if the aftermarket carrier didn't come with a zerk, then it has sealed bearings.. you'll have to take it all apart, take the inner seals off the bearings, drill + tap a hole for the zerk, etc..

if it does have a zerk already installed, then your going to have to pull the carrier out to grease it (not a big deal really)..

Leo

Castor-426ex
09-27-2002, 01:20 AM
yeah grab a brewsky and enjoy some quality time with your number 1 pal....your quad!:D

Sick0
09-27-2002, 08:10 AM
I've seen what he's taking abouit on a blaster, but the blaster has a steel swing are so you could tap that.

flaneledholes
09-27-2002, 04:08 PM
It did come wiht a zert, but I guess I will ahve to undo it all to grease it... But what still gets me is I have seen it done on a stock "grey thingy" and It had a gash cut out so you could adjust your chain and still grease it... Oh well, thanx ne way guys...:)

chavez
09-27-2002, 07:26 PM
i have done it to my leager 250r 330ex and getting ready to do it to my 426ex you proble have a lonestar rad barring carrier with the built in zerk take a tape measure find center from left to right of the swing arm about a inch up from where you tighten the carrier to the swing arm drill a 1/2 hole in your swing arm check to make sure your grease gun head will fit thru i got a cap from motorcycle fork stuck in and it stays (drill hole without carrier in the swing arm) depending on your chain if you go top grease you might have to losten your rear break caliper to hit the zerk

chavez
09-27-2002, 07:31 PM
oh yeah i wouldnt have paid a 100 or 150 for a guy to change my carrier it dosnt take more than 20 min to do your self

flaneledholes
09-28-2002, 09:34 AM
Thanx chavez, I have one question though... Does the whole carrier move when you turn the adjuster to adjust your chain??? Because if so then wouldnt you have to cut a long gash through the swing-arm??? I just want this to work out ok thats all...