PDA

View Full Version : DNR...can they ?

HiperEX
01-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Well today me and my buds were riding and headed back on a field road to the other farm and dnr warden stops us telling us we are loud and 3 people have called for noise complaints saying stuff like if we have spark arrestors and this crap db limit 96 or below alot of us have rossiers, hmfs and gytr's so i can see it being loud but can they do a thing to you if your on private property? we also have a nice mx track we ride alot in the summer can they just enter if there was a gate put up ?

WheelieMan4
01-07-2007, 07:07 PM
The warden had no idea what he was even talking about either...he was like it sounds like you guys dont have, umm, mufflers or like you have modified them in some way to make them loud...He also said something like that we cant ride unless we have registration, has to be shown on the quad, and the place has to be a sanctioned area??? WHAT...Warren, IL isnt even a sanctioned track? And this is on private land, so can they really do anything about it?

AtvMxRider
01-07-2007, 07:21 PM
It DOES NOT matter if you are private land or not. If too many people complain they CAN make you stop. People think just because they are on thier own property that nobody can do anything but they can.

wheeltrax
01-07-2007, 07:28 PM
I also have a question for the ppl in wisconsin. My friend got a ticket last fall for noise on his banshee, the dnr did not even "test" it, they just gave him a ticket. Well a few days ago he called the local dnr office (sturtevant) to see if they could test it with the db guns. They told him they couldnt and the only way for him to test it was to get stopped for it. Now my question is, if there is no where to take it to get a db reading, how are we supposed to see if our quads are within the limits or not. I know im going to get responses like go back to stock then, but for a few of us with quite a few mods to the motor, that really isnt an option. I would like to know if there somewhere we could go to get our quads db tested to see what they actually come out to.

HiperEX
01-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by wheeltrax
I also have a question for the ppl in wisconsin. My friend got a ticket last fall for noise on his banshee, the dnr did not even "test" it, they just gave him a ticket. Well a few days ago he called the local dnr office (sturtevant) to see if they could test it with the db guns. They told him they couldnt and the only way for him to test it was to get stopped for it. Now my question is, if there is no where to take it to get a db reading, how are we supposed to see if our quads are within the limits or not. I know im going to get responses like go back to stock then, but for a few of us with quite a few mods to the motor, that really isnt an option. I would like to know if there somewhere we could go to get our quads db tested to see what they actually come out to.

if that was me gettin the ticket i woulda told him off or take it to court since they cant prove you were over the limit, and i have no idea where u can get a your exhaust db tested at in wisconsin i know alot of dnr do carry them

Honda#4
01-07-2007, 07:42 PM
I think you can buy a DB reader at Radio Shack , it measures the sound output on stuff.

gbcap
01-07-2007, 07:45 PM
they can tell you that you are too loud even on private property.

it is YOUR responsibility to know your bike is under a certain level and there are portable readers that they could have had. sounds like they didn't and they were just busting your balls. but you need to listen to them and just respect the othrs around you more and maybe next time they won't call the cops on ya?

WheelieMan4
01-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Where we ride, there isnt any neighbors for over a mile each direction. And we ride down in a bottom, the sound isn't even that loud up at their house. The people that call in everytime are two 40-year-old men that live with their mom? lol, they have never been friends with them and thats why they call in. I dont know if they can even hear us for sure, but if they can, it has to be very faint...

Just a little story about them, one the guys was hunting, up in a tree stand, and a dog was walking by so he shot it in the neck...why on earth would you do that? There has to be something wrong with them..:ermm:

JOEX
01-07-2007, 08:09 PM
I suggest reviewing your local laws regarding noise and go from there.

Different localities may have different noise ordinance, often set with certain hours of the day such as 8am to 10pm. There may be limit of db within those hours which may be sustained noise or peak noise.

Beyond that, common courtesy is the key. Think about this; if the neighbors were blaring (insert least desirable music genre) would you complain? It's not any different.

Also from what i've heard the less expensive db meters available aren't very accurate.

Scott-300ex
01-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Thats stupid. They can walk threw a gate and go anywhere they are the law they have the ability to go anywhere they can to check the law, except like in a building, they need a warrant, same with in your car.

You need to have a sanctioned area? WTF, is he kidding.

By the looks of this thread everything that guy did was all BS.

79400ex
01-07-2007, 09:15 PM
the cops/Game warden/Dnr can't go on your property with out a good probable cause and it beeter be a good probalbale cause.. i have know a few game wardens that where shot at for being on private property. They were over a mile from the nearesst road and the land owner couldn't see who he was. The game warden was also driving out threw a new seeded wheat field. THe cops said they couldn't due anything to the land owner because he said that the game warden was tresspassing. However, I wouldn't just start shoot at them. You never know how they will respone to it.

HiperEX
01-07-2007, 09:23 PM
i have herd of dnr just sittin on ppls land without a reason, last gun season here my cousin was walkin to his stand in the mornign still dark well gets a little lighter he knowtices a vehicle right by his stand and it was dnr they told my cousin they were waiting for poachers so...alright lets just sit in someones field and ruin someone elses hunt i would be ticked

northwest Texas
01-07-2007, 09:27 PM
If people called in for noise complaints I don't see the problem if he came on your private property or not. It's his responsibility to follow up on the complaint whether you think it's frivolous or not.

It's your responsibility to know the laws and your responsibility to follow them. You may not THINK your exhausts are too loud but they could very well be much louder than you thought. Or they may very well be within spec. Knowledge is power. Find out what your local laws are. It shouldn't be too hard.

I realize you're not going to please everyone cause there are some real hard asses out there, the same people that would gripe if they were hung with a new rope. You probably know who those people are and you can avoid them if all possible. If it's your call on what to do.

Sound travels much farther than you think. I know one mile sounds like a long ways away but it's really not. They're probably just trying to stir the pot with you guys, you'll have to learn to cope with them.

PolarisRider06
01-07-2007, 10:35 PM
well i know in MN cops and DNR cannot come onto private property that is fenced in if the gate is closed even if say the cops know that there is a bunch of minors 25 feet across the fence drunk off of there ***. they have to go and get permission from the land owner to go onto the land first because it doesn't matter if they are the cops/dnr or not its still tresspassing. now if the land isn't fenced in or if there is probable cause and the gate on the entrance to the property is open they can go in.

when it comes to the decible reading of your machine go and get it tested to see if its within spec, if not it may just need a quiet core insert or to be repacked. most quiet cores dont rob much power at all and if your packing is shot it actually helps performance to repack it from what i've heard. now if you get a ticket for the volume of your machine and you know its under the 96db limit (which it has to be anyways for racing if i remember right) then challenge it in court, go and find a regular cop and ask them if they have a db meter or know one that does (many cops have them to test vehicle noise limits) and have them test it and if its within the legal limit then have them write in on the back of your ticket and sign their name. its not gonna get rid of the ticket but his signature will greatly influence the judge in court. also if you have a performance shop for powersports or cars nearby they might have a db tester and may be able to give you a dated printout with the reading on it that you could bring to court to show the judge. if your machine truly is under the limit you will be let off and no fines will be due and the annoying neighbors will have to put up with it because your operating within the law but your neighbors will probably find something else to call you in for.

hope some of that helps.

TRX_450
01-08-2007, 03:50 PM
i dunno bout there but here in kansas if your outside the city limits they cant do anything noise wise until after 12am and if your in town its 10pm. my neighbors have called the cops many times and theres nothing they can do. one time a cop did come out and told us they had gotten a complaint from her but its not unusal for her to complain about something and he basically told us they she didnt like the noise but they couldnt make us quit riding so out of courtesy we quit riding for the day

Sjorge450R
01-08-2007, 04:12 PM
i installed my Rekluse the other day and to test it, I pulled out into the street and then just went up and down real quick and then i parked my quad but I was revving the motor in the garage (to adjust cable slack on a Rekluse, you have to rev the motor to 1/2 throttle.) so i left and went to my friends house. When I came back my parents said that the cops showed up. I was like wtf?! He told my parents that if he has to come out again hes taking my quad. I told my mom that he the cop himself has to see me riding it or there is basically nothing he can do because I could be in my back yard riding or in my garage revving it....its only my one neighbor. All my other neighbors could care less what I do as long as its between 11-8.

Steve

HiperEX
01-08-2007, 09:48 PM
where about would you go to get info on the hrs that u can be loud or what not ,,,town hall maybe?

ShiftFMX
01-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Its all in your local laws.

When I had my 330r, man that thing was loud, I have 4 acres and then I'm almost surrounded by subdivisions. I have had the cops come to my house numerous times. They say they come because they were called and had to come, but they said as long as I was on my property and was riding at an appropriate time, there was nothing none of my neighbors could do. My township also has no noise ordinances, so that maybe helping me, I went down to the township hall to see if I was doing anything wrong and they checked into it and she said I was doing nothing wrong, its no different than hearing my neighbor mow his lawn in the summer time :p

700bRad
01-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by HiperEX
i have herd of dnr just sittin on ppls land without a reason, last gun season here my cousin was walkin to his stand in the mornign still dark well gets a little lighter he knowtices a vehicle right by his stand and it was dnr they told my cousin they were waiting for poachers so...alright lets just sit in someones field and ruin someone elses hunt i would be ticked

OMG... I would be super pissed off if a game warden did that to me!

400EXTRA
01-09-2007, 02:02 PM
ihate dnr they think there bad *** just like cops

300ex mxracer
01-09-2007, 02:13 PM
the dnr guys can do just about anything they want. they do not need a warrant or permission to come onto your land. most of the guys i know will respect your property if they dont have any probable cause. i have sat down with the 2 guys from my surrounding counties (poacher problems) and discussed all the laws, rights, etc... they have more power than state cops in the outdoor sense. if they think you have too many birds in your freezer, they can come in your house and keep without a warrant.

bulkdriverlp
01-09-2007, 03:11 PM
you will need to check locally. here in MI dnr can do or walk wherever they want whenever they want. all they have to say is they got a call. it may be b.s. youll never know. dnr can pull you over and hold you and call police officer to take over. they have radar guns around here, they can talk on police frequencies. if it is a FORESTRY law enforcement, (which carry guns) they have more authority than the state police. believe me when a dnr officer walks into you kitchen and starts rummaging through you freezer you better not get lippy with em.:macho

krt400ex
01-09-2007, 04:58 PM
noob question, but wut does DNR stand for?

HiperEX
01-09-2007, 05:08 PM
dnr stands for department of natural resources

krt400ex
01-09-2007, 05:17 PM
thnx

Rider-trx_250ex
01-09-2007, 09:13 PM
DNR.........?