PDA

View Full Version : factory shock swap

smoothie
01-07-2007, 06:58 PM
he guys I am indeed a noob here so to introduce my self my name is kasper and i live in good ol' wisconsin....

i've got my z all widened and set to how i like it but the shocks absolutely suck if you ask me... i've messed with them quite a bit and i can't get them set to do what i want them to. i have read up a little on swapping out shocks and from what i have read 450r shocks will work on a z400. correct me if i'm wrong please.

to the point, my buddy wants to upgrade his yfz's suspension with a arms axle and shocks... will the yfz shocks work properly on my z? i've also read somewhere that they are a bit longer than the z400 shocks, so this makees me think they will not work... properly anyway.

PeeWee21
01-08-2007, 08:30 AM
What year is your Z? Does it have the piggy back rezzie shocks?

smoothie
01-08-2007, 08:00 PM
it's an 05' with the rezzies

PeeWee21
01-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Your 05 shocks are designed to operate on stock length a-arms. When you widen the quad, the wider arms put more leverage on the shocks, thus making them feel "softer". The only way to fix it is to have your shocks re-valved for wider a-arms or buy after market shocks. I have a set of Works Steelers set up for a B class 180lb mx rider with +2 arms that i'm getting rid of. I'm getting a new KFX450R so i'm putting the KFX back to stock for my wife to ride. I'll trade you them for your shocks and even have these freshened up for ya. They will be way to stiff with stock length arms and having them freshened up will be cheaper than a revalve job for me. Let me know if your interested.

smoothie
01-09-2007, 11:55 AM
oh no chit, i'm def interested. this might keep me from simply going to a ltz-r450. B)

how many races do you have on them, and are you tlaking fronts or the rear also?

so your saying you have these set for 180lb rider, thats excelent cuz i'm 175, what a coinkidink. i guess i never though of the whole leverage factor. now that i think about it, it makes sense. it did always seem stiffer before i got my a-arms. thanks for pointing out the obvious to me:D

so your interested in a straigh up trade eh? whats the spring rate on them and do they have rezzies with remote, or shock mount? pics please!

smoothie
01-09-2007, 12:03 PM
also i forgot. i assume this kindof levels out the idea of the yfz shocks? since his are all factory and on stock width..... oh well:ermm: