PDA

View Full Version : shocks...

3exrider23
01-07-2007, 05:41 PM
im most likely picking up a kfx400 or 400ex real soon and really want to do alot to this quad but dont have any experience on aftermarket shocks. i was just wondering what kind to get for my type of riding whick is basicly everything. i ride alot of pits which are real loose sand like beach sand n are usually pretty rough and i do alot of jumping there. i ride alot of trails with like alot of whoops and are pretty rough. i ride dunes and beaches every once in a while. and ill ride at the track every once in a while.

thanks
chris

yellowzo3
01-07-2007, 06:05 PM
im from new jersey too so i understand what you mean by all different types of riding and terrain. mine are setup for mx and i rode it in the woods also and it was fine for me. i would try to get a shock thats fully adjustable. this way you could tweek it for each type of terrain, so you could use one set of shocks for everything. it also depends on how much money you want to spend. so let us know what your price range is, if your going with aftermarket a-arms, and what type of riding you do most and what youd like to improve on and do the most...then we can get a better idea of what shocks would fit you best!

3exrider23
01-07-2007, 06:59 PM
thanks yellowzo3. im not looking to spend a real real lot but want something good. i was looking into elkas but was told there only really good if you are only using it for what you have it set up for. i mainly ride pits and i love jumping and want to get into that a more. i also ride alot of trails like i said and then like everythign else i still ride but less. also how hard is it to tweak the shocks?

400exrider707
01-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Personally it depends on what machine you get. If its a newer kfx it will have pretty good shocks on it on the front. Older the fronts will suck, and so will the fronts on the EX. If its a newer KFX with the good shocks I would just send all three to get rebuilds on them to GT Thunder. If its an older KFX or an EX I would buy a set of used 450R front shocks then send those and the stock rear to get rebuilds. ;)

yellowzo3
01-08-2007, 10:20 AM
400exrider has a great idea and i would definatly consider it. its not that expensive and from what ive read everyone is happy with their stock rebuilds. if you buy aftermarket shocks they come with a manual which tells you what the adjustments do and how to adjust them accordingly. there are also alot of people on the site that are great with suspension and should be able to help you out also. if you want aftermarket shocks elkas arent bad, and the new motowoz shocks are said to be awesome...im not sure how much they run though.

3exrider23
01-08-2007, 12:31 PM
thanks everyone. if i got the shocks revalved dont you have to do that every once in a while like a rebuild? and it is a 2005 kfx and a 2004ex. both almost brand new.

3exrider23
01-08-2007, 01:07 PM
also if i went with 450 shocks can i adjust them. if so how it to do? would i be able to like do it while i was at the track or pits?

yellowzo3
01-08-2007, 01:07 PM
definatly go for the kfx....its water cooled and has a little more power as well. im guessing youll probably have to rebuild them as much as any other shock, but its the best thing to do if you want the best performance out of them. if you do alot of different riding go with stock rebuilds. then later on if you decide you want to race or something you can get some shocks set up for just that.

3exrider23
01-08-2007, 02:44 PM
alright thanks alot. you guys were definetly alot of help

yellowzo3
01-08-2007, 02:58 PM
no problem thats what we're all here for haha...if you have anymore questions or anything post them up in this thread...ill check it often to see if you have anymore questions or anything that i can help with...if its over my head hopefully someone else will chime in and teach us both haha.