PDA

View Full Version : idle screw adj?

kcliff
01-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Ok I think my starting problem might be caused by the idle screw on the carb. (that big silver knob that has a slot head by the choke) I have been messing with and I am not sure where it is suppose to be. I looked all over my clymer manual and the only thing it refers to is rpms, but that doesnt help me, how do I correctly set the screw, thanks

idro
01-07-2007, 05:49 PM
if it would help i could take a pic of it, or tell you the position? :ermm:

kcliff
01-07-2007, 06:33 PM
out of curiosity how would a pic help? If you told me the position that would be fine. I couldnt stand it went back out and did some other things like take the air filter lid off and filter (while in my garage) and it finally fired up and idled a little bit and it would back fire a little as well. I would also try and rev it up but it would bog out real bad- maybe my needles are bad or something, I guess it could still be the plug as well? Oh well I am gonna swap the plug and pilot jet when I get them. I also drained the battery trying to start it over N over again. I took it off and put it on a trickle charge. I guess sometime tomorrow it might be ready to go again. maybe my deal for $4200 for a 2007 was to good to be true. thanks

hornetgod13
01-07-2007, 06:45 PM
I don't have a tachometer so I adjusted my idle by sound. I set it to the lowest setting in which it would still idle smoothly even when it's cold. Once it's warm, it idles a little fast but atleast I don't have to stay on the throttle to keep it running when it's cold.
The screw you've described is the idle adjustment screw. Turn it clockwise to speed the idle up and turn counterclockwise to slow it down.
It sounds like you may need to adjust your fuel screw as well. What year is your quad?

rafjr00
01-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Sounds really rich.
I was having an off day a few weeks back...started the 400 let it warm up and went to ride it. It died as soon as I would touch the throttle. I fought it for about 30mins before I realized I left the choke on.

kcliff
01-07-2007, 07:19 PM
hornet to the rescue..... lol My quad is a 2007. bought it form a dealer who bought it as a repo from someone who's check bounced..... any way I have a new theory, which is probablly wrong....... could it be my battery? It turns over and dies all the time and once in a while it will run a couple of seconds. I took off the lid for the air filter and messed with the idle screw, which by the way I think I have right now, I did what you did hornet, listen to it and let it idle a tad high as not to worry about the throttle. anyway I also adjusted the throttle which was way to loose, it would move almost 1/2 an inch before it would get stiff. here is myu batt theory and let me know what yall think. Maybe it has enough charge to turn over the starter but not enough where it does it quick enough to start the engine, and the times it does start and idle for 10sec or so and I get on it and ride it to warm it up could that charge it up enough for the day to make it easy to start later and espically that the engine is a bit warmer? The filter had a small puddle of oil underneath, maybe 3 or 4 teaspoons worth and it was really clear, could it also be that maybe someone oiled the filter too much? i took the filter off and ran the engine a bit, that is the best it idled in a while. thanks for the help

hornetgod13
01-07-2007, 09:33 PM
I'm glad to see you got the idle issue fixed. All the battery does is supply power to the starter. Once the motor starts the battery doesn't have a thing to do with the motors operation or idling. A ton of people just push/pull start there quad if the battery is dead. Once the engine is started the alternator supplies the power to the lights, spark plug, and charges the battery.
Now the second thing you mentioned did make me wonder. Sounds like your filter was over-oiled. There shouldn't have been a puddle of oil in the air box. That could be starving your carb/motor for air. That could explain you engine issues. It's best to clean it and re-oil it. Go light on the oil, inside and out. It should be covered but, not dripping.

kcliff
01-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Hornet this going to sound crazy, but I put the batt. on trickle charge last night, came home today and put the batt back in. first hit it started and died after 10sec of running but a couple fo tries later and she fired right up and STAYED RUNNING lol It didnt make sense at first but i figured that the batt was strong enough to turn the starter but not quick enough for the motor to make full combustion. and when I was able to ride previously before the motor running helped charge the batt- altenator charging coil (clymer says it has one lol) and that is what would help it start the rest of the day. I have a little bit of smoke coming from somewhere around the top of the head, i think it is just some dirt I am going to let it cool off and wipe it off.- Has oil in it, thanks for helping me trouble shoot my quad guys

rumme
01-08-2007, 04:41 PM
could be an electircal problem like the stator......

kcliff
01-08-2007, 05:33 PM
rumme- the smoke isnt electrical (smell) i went and took it for a spin, quad sat for an hour before I went to ride and started right up and my wife rode on the back and we cruised the back woods, it was awesome I was really starting to think I got suckered, I am all most 100% sure it is the batt, it starts fine without choking it and runs good. I will know for sure tomorrow when I come home from work.

hornetgod13
01-08-2007, 06:31 PM
You Da Man!
Glad you got it figured out.

kcliff
01-08-2007, 06:57 PM
thanks hornet- i feel like a putz thinking it might have been a carb problem at first, but that is what I thought since everyone says it is hard to start becasue of the pilot. Anyway the idle and throttle adjustment still needed to be done, and I dont know why a 2007 batt was all most dead, but 2 people owned the quad before me, i wish I would have thought of it sooner. i will be sure and help others as you did me. Hornet in your signature/mod list there is something like permanent charge leads..... is that just something to hook up a trickle charge/batt charger instead of taking it off the quad? and the oil guage indicator, where did you get it? I want to get alot of the same mods you have, if you wish you hadnt got any would you let me know. thanks alot!

hornetgod13
01-08-2007, 08:23 PM
I attached permanent charge leads that have a quick disconnect so I can charge the battery without disconnecting it. I have a trickle charger that I can plug right into it. I've killed my battery twice leaving the key on and the quad in neutral. I got tired of pulling the battery real quick. Now it's a breeze to charge if I need to.
The Oil temperature gauge I got from XR's Only. Here's a thread on it. It has photos and a link to the website where you can buy one.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=265771

kcliff
01-09-2007, 02:20 PM
hey thanks I replied to your PM with my email, if you have it all ready I would like to see a shot of the quick disconnect or where you bought them, I think it would be a good idea to add to my quad. I like the oil dipstick/guage I had wondered about it, but I thought it might be some digital thing you mounted, I like your setup a lot better.