PDA

View Full Version : oil for break-in

mustangflyboy
01-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Is the oil that comes stock in the 450r for break-in the same that they recommend for changes in the manual(HP4M for engine)?

I have about 1 1/2 tanks run through my new 450er (trail riding) and the oil looks pretty dark now. Was thinkng it might be a good idea to change it to remove contaminants from breaki-in, or is really not necassary for a while longer?
the HP4M is a semi synthetic, but it's still recomended for break-in?

lumi
01-07-2007, 04:11 PM
i kno u can use hp4 for break in as it does say it on the bottle that its safe during to use during break iin... but imo i would a bit longer on that oill for at least another 1-2 hour... u have only 1 and half on it and thats nothing...

hp4m is a great choice for regular oil

-lumi

mustangflyboy
01-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Well that's 1 1/2 tanks of gas, not hours, which is probably about 4 hours so far. Anyhow, I think I'll ride on the old stuff this week and change it before this next weekend. Plan on going on a 100+ mile ride next Saturday.

I've been kinda a believer in full synthetics for longer engine life after a motor is broken in. I used Redline 20W50 in my 400ex but I bought it two years old and kept for 1 1/2 yrs, so I don't really know for sure if it was any better.
Anyone have long term experience with this? Like going from a new motor to years and years of riding and finally doing an engine break down and seeing what the condition inside the motor is?
This is my first new Quad, so I'm just researchin a bit. I like to go with the best, and like to understand the why's.

Here's an interesting website that could keep you entertained for hours. Lots of interesting stuff
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question622.htm

DirtDevilBT
01-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Hell, I wouldn't worry too much about what type of oil to use. I ran HP4M for cam break in, then when I put the piston in, I ran HP4M also. I ran full synthetic Amsoil breaking in my new cam. I don't have any problems.

U, I'd change the oil when the manual calls for it. The oil is going to turn dark anyway. When you change the motor oil, change the tranny at the same time, since that will have also broken in.:D