PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: legit riding area in Maryland, or close too...

Which 450?
01-07-2007, 03:15 PM
I, and a small group of riders, are looking for legit places to ride in Maryland or close to. We had been riding in a nice place in North East, but some idiot had to screw it up for everyone. Every rider in the group is responsible, and has a quiet bike (stock exhaust). We can work out some sort of agreement in the form of cash or favors (There's a master electrician, heavy equipment mechanic, machinist, and a few other people that occupy popular trades in the group) . We can sign a waiver, forfeiting all responsibility on you, whatever. We do not believe in driving 4+ hrs to go riding. We are looking for trails, no tracks, 80% of us have utility quads.

squadie
01-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Not a lot of good open-to-the-public choices around. I ride a YFZ450. My public options...

Greenridge State Forest which is about 30 minutes past Hancock. Annual pass is $15. It's a good place to ride, but you're limited to the 18 mile loop; no exploration allowed of the other thousands of acres there (very frustrating). It's a good place to ride every once in a while especially for some high speed trail riding. And you can camp if you want.

There's Michaux State Forest near Gettysburg, PA. $20 for a two year pass; they require liability insurance. Lots of rocks, limited on trails. Closed during hunting season. Not the best option; I wouldn't ride there if it wasn't close to me.

There's Tower City above Harrisburg. Lots of area to ride. Real rocky in several areas, but you can explore. Plenty of wooded trails with just a few rocks. Good for hill climbs. Has lots of miles of marked trails. Carries a hefty membership fee though.

I've tried Tasker's Gap in Virginia off I-81 in the George Washingon National Forest. A heck of a rock garden. Wouldn't go back. I've also tried the state park down on the Eastern Shore. A long drive for not much trail; wouldn't go back.

Which 450?
01-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Been to Green ridge and Tower before, I don't think it's really worth the drive all but 1-2 times a year.

I'm hoping there's someone out there that has alot of acres, and it looking to create a small market for themselves, though the chances of finding it on this forum are slim. I'm working on a ad to post in the newspaper soon.