PDA

View Full Version : Motion Pro Spark plug socket

speedracer350X
01-07-2007, 04:18 AM
Anyone have one for their 400EX? I put one on my Christmas list, and Santa got me one. I tried to use it a few days later, but no luck. Can't seem to get it down past the bolts that hold the rocker arms in the head assembly. Makes me mad, now I have to dig out the tool every time I want to check the spark plug. No big deal, but I wouldn't have asked for one if I knew it wasn't going to work. Or maybe other year 400EX's heads were put together with different bolts in the head, that don't stick out as far near the spark plug cavity. Mine is a 2003 model.

swva400ex
01-07-2007, 05:53 AM
i have one. it was a tight fit at first and if anyone else trys it on theres it still is. i had the plastic and gas tank off when i tried to use mine, i kinda had to force it past the head. now it has wore that little spot on the head so it works just fine.

brokenmike
01-07-2007, 07:09 AM
I turned a 18 mm craftsman down on a lathe it fits nice.I did one for my friend too

hornetgod13
01-07-2007, 09:27 AM
A Craftsman 18MM spark plug socket with 3/8 drive works great once you grind a 1/16 to 1/8th of an inch off the outside diameter. It slides right in and can be turned by hand easily. No need to pull the gas tank or plastics to get it in. It makes starting spark plugs a breeze. No worries of cross threading and with a torque wrench no fear of under torqueing and it working loose or worse yet, over torgueing and possibly stripping the theads in the engine block. The best thing of all is the socket only cost $5.99 and it's a Craftsman!

ride_red666
01-07-2007, 05:18 PM
ive had no problems with the stock socket that come in the tool kit. it works awesome for me no need to take anything off.

hornetgod13
01-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Sure it works. I have one too. Do you know how tight you're getting it? Too tight or loose? I like a socket and torque wrench to be certain. I don't have to remove anything but the spark plug wire.