PDA

View Full Version : First 1/4 throttle cutout

Quadjunkie
01-06-2007, 09:09 PM
When my quad is idling, which it does very well, and I tag the throttle quickly it misses. If the rpms are up past an 1/8 and I tag it, it is a thing of beauty.

I know that this has to do with my pilot. The question is, does it sound like i'm sucking too much fuel or too much air when it misses like that?

bradley300
01-06-2007, 09:16 PM
if its a popping and cracking its lean, if its more of a gurgle sound, its too rich

ryanh250ex
01-06-2007, 09:32 PM
that is your e-clip setting on the needle, bump it down one notch and try again.

honda250xrider
01-06-2007, 09:59 PM
try your pilot jet, sounds like what your saying is its only doing it with little throttle applied but after 1/4 or so the it revs fine. i would say adjust the air screw a little first and if that doesn't work then get a bigger pilot jet.

Honda#4
01-07-2007, 11:26 AM
I would try the needle first.

honda250xrider
01-07-2007, 11:44 AM
it should not be the needle.... simply the needle doesn't control the throttle from 0-1/8 or so like he is saying it has to be the pilot, he just needs to adjust the air fuel a little i suspect and he will happy again, needle if i can remember right is 1/4-3/4 throttle main is full throttle.

2004exrider
01-07-2007, 12:49 PM
If its idling and you give it full throttle all at once its going to have that little bit of stagger. Its because its running on just that little bit of air and fuel (idle) and then you give it WOT it now has a lot more coming in.

Jimmy

Quadjunkie
01-07-2007, 12:56 PM
I thought it might help if I put out a little more info.

at idle, in nuetral, and also if I am rolling at a very low rpm in gear, and then I tag it to say 1/3 to 1/2 throttle it misses and sounds for a second like I just turned it off, but then it catches again.

Once I get past say 1/8 on the throttle it's fine. I pulled my plug, which is old and it is black. So I am wondering if I am running on the rich side. Wondering if I need to drop my needle. I am going to start by testing the mixture and hope you guys might have some experience to add to my efforts.

Thanks

honda250xrider
01-07-2007, 01:13 PM
could be your needle, but still when you say after you get passed an 1/8 or so throttle it does not do it that leads me to beleive that your needle is fine, try turning your air fuel screw out a half turn to lean it up, keep on doing this and see if the problem still continues, now check on this and make sure that when you turn the air fuel screw out it is making it leaner, honestly right now i can't remember if you turn it in or out to make it leaner. I think when you turn it out you are adding more air but someone correct me if i am wrong.

Quadjunkie
01-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Out is rich in is lean.

250X_project
01-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Try a simple carb cleaning. Your acceleration well may be clogged, and for that small piece of time you don't have enough fuel. And it's just the easiest and cheapest way to start. ;)

joshyz125
01-07-2007, 08:55 PM
most 4 strokes will have a little bit of a hessitation, Depending on how fast you go from idle to WOT. If it's EXTREMELY bad, then it sounds like the accelerator pump might not be working correctly.

most of the time you won't notice is when your riding because your not riding at idle,