PDA

View Full Version : Well, my clutch still slips

flauge
01-06-2007, 05:32 PM
I just took my bike on the first real good ride after putting in my vesrah plates and Ebc Hd springs and its still doing the same thing before.. It'll be fine until WOT, then it'll act like its not grabbing comepletely, It kinda feels like im feathering the clutch when it does it.. I kknow its not supposed to do that tho.
Far as i know i did everything right on the install, made sure the last fiber was offset, inspected the basket which didnt hardly have any wear.
So now Im stumped, i dont know what else that could make it do that. Any suggestions???
Thanks

flauge
01-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Also, i was just wondering.. Does the clutch need some time to break in or whatever. I havent heard anything about this but i was just wondering...

brokenmike
01-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Did you check the clutch hub and the pressure plate for any wear? Mine started slipping when I put the stage 2 hot cam in it and I went through 2 clutches with heavy duty springs.Then I put another set of clutches in it with heavy duty springs and I replaced the clutch hub and the pressure plate and they have been in there for 3 years with no problems. You didnt ues any oil that had moly in it did you? Make sure you have enough slack in your clutch cable too.

flauge
01-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Yea, the hub and pressure plate looked fine too, and all i use is klotz mx4 oil. Theres slack in my clutch cable but i never did adjust it tho, it looked about right to me.
I cant think of anything else to do to it now.:scary:

flauge
01-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Also about the way it slips, its not a constant slip. It'll hold a lil at wot, but then for like a breif second it'll slip, then hold and slip again.. hope this helped a lil bit

zrpilot
01-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by flauge
Also, i was just wondering.. Does the clutch need some time to break in or whatever. I havent heard anything about this but i was just wondering...

I just completed my 416 rebuild today and rode it for the first time with no clutch break-in. Never slipped. So I don't think there is a break in on a new clutch.

flauge
01-06-2007, 10:52 PM
how'd the 416 do for ya?? I'll bet it goes like stink with all the mods you have done now:D .
Anyway, i thought the plates might've needed a lil while to seat or whatever, thats why i was asking. Another thing too, after i put the clutch in a few days back, it would creep when i put it in gear with the clutch pulled in. Today it didnt do it at all.
Dosent make any sense.:confused:

zrpilot
01-07-2007, 08:34 AM
Dude,
My 416 is really fast.. all the mods made a completely different quad!!

Like rolling 2nd gear wheelies w/o yanking on the bars..

Your problem has me stumped... The only thing I can suggest is pictures.

of EVERYTHING...

Or buy me a ticket, I'll fly out there with my tools and we'll take that bad boy apart and get it runnin' ... LOL!!:devil:

flauge
01-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Haha.If I had the $ you'd have a ticket comin right now.... Oh, well i guess i might as well crack her back open and get the camera out. It wont be til next weekend when i do that tho... would've done it today but I was too busy fiddling around with my 450r carb.. Thats another thing thats not acting right.. :mad:

jrafter
01-07-2007, 06:46 PM
i would replace your clutch cable.......its cheap and it cant hurt or try lubing the old one just to see what happens.

interceptorz28
01-08-2007, 06:57 AM
Did you soak the fiber plates before the install? This might be the problem. I just changed my plates, soaking them for an hour before install. Did you tighten everything down evenly (criss-cross pattern)?

Maybe its the plates themselves. I have not heard of the brand you mentioned.

hondaracer57
01-08-2007, 01:39 PM
mine didi the same thing urs is doin i though i put the last fiber in right but i didnt i put the second to last fiber in the offset slot and that caused it too slip like that so i would tear the side case off and check it out...o and dont ask me how i didnt it i have no idea!!!lol

exracer416
01-08-2007, 08:18 PM
make sure you soak the plates in a non synthetic oil before installing them. I had a similar problem I had a set of ebc plates that were junk went through them in no time. Put a set of stock clutch plates in and was fine. but i also has that little slipping problem but come to find out it wasnt my clutch. a race later 2nd gear let go in my tranny. dont know if this is the same slipping you felt, and i hope for you it isnt

flauge
01-09-2007, 06:25 AM
Yea, I soaked them in non-synthetic for like 3 or 4 hours and i made sure about offsetting the last plate also, i even double checked that before i put the cover back on...
ya know you might be coming on to something exracer416, b/c i was looking at my old clutch plates when i took them out and they didn't look that bad, i mean i've seen a whole lot worse..I hope i dont have the same prob you had:scary: .. tell me a lil more about that..

interceptorz28
01-09-2007, 08:25 AM
I am running Amsoil synthetic and that is the same stuff I used to soak them. The bike is running strong and the clutch grips MUCH better. It is perfect imo.

exracer416
01-09-2007, 01:28 PM
well after i put the stock plates back in It grabbed alot better. took it to a poker run and it started doin that there felt like it wa jumping the chain kinda. took it to a race and ended up taking out 2nd gear and a shift fork. i wish i could explain it better but it folt like someting was slipping and sure enough it was

flauge
01-10-2007, 07:01 AM
Thats exactly what it feels like, sort of jumping the chain i guess. Its kinda hard to believe that it would be the clutch tho b/c its grabbing better than it used to. I even managed to stall it a few times b/c i wasnt used to the new clutch action..:o
Exracer, when did it slip? Wide open or under lighter loads too?? Id figure if it was tranny related it'd probably slip all the time..i guess

zrpilot
01-10-2007, 07:33 AM
Thats exactly what it feels like, sort of jumping the chain i guess. Its kinda hard to believe that it would be the clutch tho b/c its grabbing better than it used to. I even managed to stall it a few times b/c i wasnt used to the new clutch action..:o
Exracer, when did it slip? Wide open or under lighter loads too?? Id figure if it was tranny related it'd probably slip all the time..i guess

I really think this sounds like a tranny problem...

It seems to me that if you had a clutch problem at high throttle, the motor would simply rev high, yet "feel" smooth. However if you had a gear problem, the feeling would be sudden, violent, ratcheting like a chain jump..

By putting more load on the transmission, the gears want to "climb" apart. This could cause it to fell like they are slipping..

yikes.. sorry man

flauge
01-11-2007, 07:32 AM
whoa, I think I might have to take it easy on er for a lil while then, b/c i know thats beyond your usual handtool job.:eek:

flauge
01-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Man i feel like a slow kid.LOL That jumping that i was feeling wasnt the clutch at all..It was the carb. At wot it would surge and jerk a lil, i dont know what caused it but its fixed now, i threw it out in the woods and put a 450 one on:D

zrpilot
01-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Man i feel like a slow kid.LOL That jumping that i was feeling wasnt the clutch at all..It was the carb. At wot it would surge and jerk a lil, i dont know what caused it but its fixed now, i threw it out in the woods and put a 450 one on:D

Great news for sure. Good Job.

blasterandy
01-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Don't throw it in the woods sell that s.o.b.

flauge
01-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Nah, i didnt throw it in the woods, Im glad i didnt b/c i had to use that little rubber springy looking gasket off of it.. You know that little peice that goes over the rod, and falls out every time you take the float bowl off:o It fell and rolled off somewhere. Good thing there the same on both carbs..:cool: I will probably wind up selling it tho...