PDA

View Full Version : making a atv street legal in ny?

j450rking
01-06-2007, 05:11 PM
i would love to make my 400 be able to go on the road dose anybody know if i can do it in new york? if so what would i have to do? and were would i get dot aproved tires to fit on my atv rims?

any help would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

creed
01-06-2007, 05:58 PM
some of the small towns around where i live alow you to ride on dirt roads as long as you are insured and registered. no mods or changes needed for your quad but have to follow a speed limit i believe. but check before ya ride.

j450rking
01-06-2007, 06:30 PM
i want to ride on paved roads and highways not just dirt roads

but thanks anyway

ride_red666
01-06-2007, 07:42 PM
i know u need signal light, healights, brake lights, street tires and the exhaust has to be legel. u need ur motorcycle liscence aswell. thats the laws here anyway dont know about there but probs similar.

woodsracer144
01-07-2007, 07:33 PM
my uncle and i are gonna make one becasue hes a cop so then i cant get pulled over and get a ticket, you need all the lights and all that, i think that you need DOT tires because some trucks run the muders and they ahve just as much or more that a atv tire but the atv tire might wear faster. i was just gonna try to get it licened (sp) as a motorcycle, and put 4 wheeles on it and the make and what ever els i saw that a guy in MN made a street quad, it had a CRB600 motor in it tho and he said in 3rd grear ir did 90 and that beast looked sharp! i dont have any pics of her or els i would posted one. good luck, let me know how it works out, im gonna make one in WI and i think that it has to go so far beyong the speed limit so its not at its max rpms at east thats what im gonna do any way so i dont blow my motor. polaris makes a quad that is ready to hit the road right off the floor
im sure i have speel check problems but im not gonna fix them because i have to go to do my home work right now! later

j450rking
01-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
my uncle and i are gonna make one becasue hes a cop so then i cant get pulled over and get a ticket, you need all the lights and all that, i think that you need DOT tires because some trucks run the muders and they ahve just as much or more that a atv tire but the atv tire might wear faster. i was just gonna try to get it licened (sp) as a motorcycle, and put 4 wheeles on it and the make and what ever els i saw that a guy in MN made a street quad, it had a CRB600 motor in it tho and he said in 3rd grear ir did 90 and that beast looked sharp! i dont have any pics of her or els i would posted one. good luck, let me know how it works out, im gonna make one in WI and i think that it has to go so far beyong the speed limit so its not at its max rpms at east thats what im gonna do any way so i dont blow my motor. polaris makes a quad that is ready to hit the road right off the floor
im sure i have speel check problems but im not gonna fix them because i have to go to do my home work right now! later

yeah you do have a bit of a spell check problum but don't worry about it i use to be horible at spelling

and thanks for the post what i am relly looking for that i might not have bean clear about is dose anybody know the laws in new york about this kinda thing

vett_09
01-08-2007, 06:09 AM
Where I live, regardless of if you put turn signals, a break light, ect. on the quad, it's still not street legal. Four wheelers are classified as ORV's and driving one down a public road is against the law because they're not built to meet DOT standards. They're designed to run off road. I live on a dirt road kind of out in the country. I can ride down dirt roads as long as I'm not flying or acting stupid and have a helmet on. The cops know we do and just kind of look the other way, but they would impound my 400 faster than I could blink if I tried riding down a paved road.

Slinky
01-08-2007, 06:21 AM
you cant make an ATV street legal in NY

interceptorz28
01-08-2007, 06:50 AM
I really doubt you could make an ATV street legal in NY. If it could be done, I would have heard it.

The best you can do is get it registered and get a license plate. Then when / if you get stopped, the Cops will just write you a ticket instead of impounding it.

blown331
01-08-2007, 08:10 AM
Here in AZ anything with wheels, headlight(s), brake light, and one mirror and you're good to go. Of course you would have to be insured + licensed.

I was thinking about doing this but the atv would look a little goofy. When you register your ATV in AZ with the MVD (motor vehicle division) they automatically send you a license plate regardless if it is street legal or not. My buddy just purchased a brand new YFZ450 and plated it...

I was pulled over about 2 weeks after I got my 400 on the street and the cop told me to push it home (over 4 miles) I laughed and told him i'd call someone to pick me up... as he left, the dirt field just in front of me looked tempting, BRAAAAAAAPPP and i was gone lol

woodsracer144
01-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by interceptorz28
I really doubt you could make an ATV street legal in NY. If it could be done, I would have heard it.

The best you can do is get it registered and get a license plate. Then when / if you get stopped, the Cops will just write you a ticket instead of impounding it.

i would fight the fine if they give you a ticket,becasue they never asked or looked to see what it was, if they dont check its not your fault, its theres. thats what my ucle said thats why im buldin one with him.

interceptorz28
01-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
i would fight the fine if they give you a ticket,becasue they never asked or looked to see what it was, if they dont check its not your fault, its theres. thats what my ucle said thats why im buldin one with him.

What are they not checking? what is there that would get the fine dismissed? ?

woodsracer144
01-09-2007, 04:22 PM
if you put a bike motor and have the plates say that motor and say that it has 4 wheeles and then they say that its not for street use you fight the fine if they dive you one because its not your fault that they didnt check out your wheeles, i dont know much about getin plates on a car or truck.