PDA

View Full Version : swing arm bolt.....wow...

itismejoshy
01-06-2007, 03:55 PM
ok picked up my third 400, she is alittle ruff but cheap!:D so while doing my complete tear down and rebuild of her i got to the swing arm bolt, now i have had some troubles before working on un maintained bike getting this bolt out, but this is a different story, got the nut off easy enough, but needless to say 2 different hammers and a woodblock later it's still not moving 1mm. so i covered it with PB and called it a night. i am currently on my 3rd night and a 5LB sledge, still nothing, how stuck can tihs bolt be? and how on earth can i get it out now? i got new bolts to replace it with already because i def messed this one up, but i am outa ideas? any one tried heating it? but i don't know where it is stuck, and there is rubber in the dust cap?? dunno open for any ideas!!....:ermm:

j450rking
01-06-2007, 04:09 PM
i had the same problum but i got pissed and used a 20lb sleg with the pb blaster after i got it out i put a greas fitting in the end and pluged the other end up and drilled two holes where there was marks were it was sticking here is some pics

j450rking
01-06-2007, 04:11 PM
another pic

j450rking
01-06-2007, 04:14 PM
and another

northwest Texas
01-06-2007, 04:21 PM
The bushings are frozen to the bolt. If you turn the bolt, they turn too, right?

You need some heat on them (remove the swingarm caps or you'll catch them on fire) where they're good and hot. Then try driving it out. If you've bradded the end of the bolt already, you'll be cutting it off to get it through the bushings.

Don't hit it directly, use 2 hammers, blocks of wood have too much give to be effective on the most stuck.

itismejoshy
01-06-2007, 07:14 PM
ya the zirk on the bolt is a great idea! i am def doin that next time, also a correction i am using a 10LB sledge and another hammer gave up on the wood block. no it won't turn i tried every thing from a 3 foot breaker that only started to messed the end of the bolt up to an impact, no luck, you say remove the swing arm caps how do i get them out with the bolt still in? i just spent another 3 hour beating it back and forth with the sledge and covering it with PB sesion to no avail.......:ermm:

j450rking
01-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by itismejoshy
ya the zirk on the bolt is a great idea! i am def doin that next time, also a correction i am using a 10LB sledge and another hammer gave up on the wood block. no it won't turn i tried every thing from a 3 foot breaker that only started to messed the end of the bolt up to an impact, no luck, you say remove the swing arm caps how do i get them out with the bolt still in? i just spent another 3 hour beating it back and forth with the sledge and covering it with PB sesion to no avail.......:ermm:
\

you would have to cut the swing arm caps to get them off the funny thing is the thing that was sticking on mine was the needle bearings thay would move up and down but not let the bolt go through that is untill i just got mad and broke the 20lb sleg out

(my best freind lol ) :devil:

brokenmike
01-06-2007, 08:36 PM
put the bike on its side.It is alot easier to swing the hammer when you are swinging it up and down

cbr929rr
01-07-2007, 02:32 PM
an air hammer with a pointed chisel removed mine in 1 min. after beating it with a hammer for 15. I let pb blaster work overnight and used an air hammer with a pointed chisel to work it half way out, then just a piece of steel rod and a 18 oz hammer.

groutman
01-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by j450rking
i had the same problum but i got pissed and used a 20lb sleg with the pb blaster after i got it out i put a greas fitting in the end and pluged the other end up and drilled two holes where there was marks were it was sticking here is some pics great idea you better go get a pat on it i went out to the garage grabed a swing arm bolt and a 1/8 pipe tap and went to work

j450rking
01-07-2007, 03:46 PM
yeah i was thinking about patin it

ill_lil_romey
01-07-2007, 06:37 PM
A cut from a plasma gun will do the job. Ive seen them totally seized in and this is the only thing that will free them. Along with a swift and carefullly placed cut, the heat will free the two pieces of the bolt with only a tap or two without damaging the swing arm.

itismejoshy
01-07-2007, 08:54 PM
hmm....looks like cutting it out is goin to be the only option, i heard a rumor that the spacers are not available from honda? any conformation on this? also i don't have a plasma so i was thinkin sawzall? can't believe this is such a pain in the ***! i will be pullin all the swing arm bolts on all my machines this week and doin the zirk idea!

j450rking
01-07-2007, 09:49 PM
i thought it was a good idea myself but you might want to drill more than 2 holes in it i'm not shour becouse i have't had time to test it seeing as i'm in the middle of a build so right now my ex is a pile of parts

northwest Texas
01-07-2007, 09:49 PM
I do believe you can get those bushings in a Pivot Works kit. It seems like they have a swingarm bearing kit with and without them.

Def-e-nition
01-08-2007, 10:24 AM
never done a rebuild myself , but i always Look for info .

so tell me chaps , the swingarm bolt that causes you all so much grief is the Main bolt running through both the frame and the swingarm ? Why the hell do they sit so tight ? I always oil the OUTSIDE with whatever oils/lubes i have at hand , but i reckon thats a waste of my time then judging by the way you guys are struggling to get the Damn thing out .... shhiiiiit .

So tell me , do all these suckers sit so tight , or is that from Neglect ?

killed300ex
01-08-2007, 10:40 AM
you need to take it out and lube in every couple of months to keep it easy to remove. The problem with the bolt is that they are different qualities of metal that basically weld themselfs together. Another problem is that these bolts can also bend from hard landings ect. I know mine was bent and almost welded in and I had to cut it out.
Evan

01-08-2007, 11:00 AM
I had to cut the swingarm bolt out of my 250R.

Def-e-nition
01-08-2007, 11:29 AM
So you guys reckon I should try and remove it before i NEED to remove it, then regrease the Bugger and do this frequently . Bugger .

I can just imagine from all the pounding it takes how stuck it must get in the bushes .

Damn .There are no user-serviceable parts in there , correct ?
Besides Any bearing I mean ?

Anyone know of someone with a fische for this part of the T-rex , for interests sake , or pics . ?

itismejoshy
01-08-2007, 03:18 PM
ya as long as you take care of them and remove them once every couple months and clean/lube then your ok, but when you get a bike that is few years old and never been serviced, good luck! as for the fische i know they got them for the 400ex at http://www.bikebandit.com and click on oem parts. i use them alot as a reference.

**update**

bolt still not out, planning on cutting this weekend.....:ermm:

witech
01-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Ive found that a drilling them out is the easy solution to possibly destroying a lot of expensive parts. The bolt is hollow and self centering on the drill. A good bit and about 5 minutes and your done.

Norris3710
01-09-2007, 01:48 PM
I just took mine out, beat on it from both sides in then out,soaking it with pb, i stripped mine out and couldnt get anything on it to turn it