PDA

View Full Version : 400ex to a twofiddy

blasterandy
01-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Alright, i have been looking at the 250r's and was getting kinda itchy for another 2 stroke. I had a blaster and realized once my dad kinda suckered me into buying the 400ex that it wasn't what i wanted.
My question is will i be happy with a 250r any known problems.
I really like the 88's with the lights in the plastic.
Also if anyone would like to trade the ex for an r I will take offers.
-400ex-
Cut Plastics
hmf s/o
pro aromor nerfs w/ heel guards
shock covers (quad)
k&n filter
42 Pilot
152 Main
It has been very well maintained
I have an ad posted in the wanted sect.
w/ Pictures
Name:
400ex to twofiddy

blasterandy
01-06-2007, 01:03 PM
I know u guys wanna convert me back to a 2 stroke from a 4 banger. :D Help pls. I just need some basic info on them and the price range of a lightly modded 250r. i am in the 88 range. Also what year did they stop makin em.

400EX QUADER
01-06-2007, 02:03 PM
they made em 86-89

blasterandy
01-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Cool, thanks for the info. I still need the other info in the pevious posts

blasterandy
01-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Nother question. Would the 250r be an ok atv to trail ride. I do hard core trail riding. I ride with mostly dirtbikes and on real curvy trails therefore I think the 2 stroke powerband would be optimal for what I do. Do you all think so. Plus I really just plain out like them. Any Help please Bump

flint250trx
01-06-2007, 09:09 PM
i hardcore trial ride too. and ill tell u what i have had banshees raptors blasters and the honda r handels better than any quad i have everowned or ridden. hands down the best. the powers is good too. will waste a 400ex .

josh

ChvyCruzen
01-06-2007, 09:11 PM
I trail ride on my R's and I like how they perform/ride. My buddy has a Banshee and he keeps getting stuck on his rear swinger out on the trails, I never got stuck wherever he does. We have same rear tire size too. Sometimes there's a lot of clutching so it's easier to just go fast :D

svahle
01-06-2007, 10:43 PM
I have a 250r and a 416ex. Both have +2 a-arms, lonestar swing arms, and aftermarket suspension. I find myself riding the 416ex in the tighter trails because I like the torque for that type of riding. If the trails open up or are faster style trails, I like the R because I feel it handles better and as far as top end goes the R is simply faster. In the dunes, the R is hard to beat.

As far as problems with the R, there really aren't that many. However, these quads are now 20 years old. Many have had cracked frames particularly near the foot pegs and at the top near the steering stem. But, if the crack has a good weld and some gussets, cracked frames really aren't that big of a deal. Most will say 2 strokes require more frequent top end rebuilds, but it is cheaper than the 4 stroke top ends. Most will also agree the 400ex is the most realiable sport quad built.

As far as price goes, it is tough to say. These quads differ greatly because nearly all have some mods. Some R's have been recently rebuilt and others were rebuilt several years ago. My buddy and I have bought 4 R's in the last year. All had +2 a-arms, aftermarket swing arms, aftermarket suspension and some motorwork. The prices have ranged from $1500 to $4500. The cheaper R has some very expensive components but was built in about 1999 and was raced. The most expensive R had a 350pv and was a recent rebuild. Those in the middle were rebuilt about 3-4 years ago and were in very nice shape.

Long story longer, you can get a pretty nice R with some good aftermarket parts for $2000 - $3000. I'm talking a good bike that really doesn't need anything but a rider.

I hope this helps. Good luck shopping.

ChvyCruzen
01-07-2007, 06:57 AM
I bought my first 88 R for $2750 in very good shape, only 1st overbore and good amount of mods with light porting on stock cylinder.

My 2nd R, 88 too, is a 310 big bore and it only cost me $2500. It has durablue axle and hardkore hubs, and everything that my first R has. It was cheap because the motor was cracked, but top end is still fine.

It depends on where you buy it and how. My first was off cycletrader and the 2nd was off ebay.

blasterandy
01-07-2007, 09:04 AM
That was the exact type of response i was looking for. Thanks
I was wondering what the normal amount of time you are looking at to get out of a rebuild.

ChvyCruzen
01-07-2007, 09:25 AM
If your talking about top end - it could take at least 3 days, depending on how fast your machine shop can bore and hone your jug. I wouldnt pressure them into finishing it ASAP, I would rather have it done right and they take their time.

It also depends on the skill level and experience a person has.

blasterandy
01-07-2007, 10:04 AM
I am talking about if it is done rite and you ride it how its meant to be ridden how long until you will need to rebuild again.
O and look at this r on ebay.

i would kill for that
tobad i am to far away.

ChvyCruzen
01-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Thats a nice R on ebay.
Anyways, I dont know how long it will last before needing another rebuild. It really depends on how you jet it. If you jet it spot on or a little rich I'm sure it could go 5 years if you dont ride really hard. I've heard of some guys going 10+ years on original bore! I dont know how frequently and how hard they ride though.

My first 88 R, 1st overbore, has been on that bore for like 3-4 years now. Before that it sat a long time and never rode much. The guy said it was just starting to lose compression and did a rebuild nearly 18 years after he first got it! Oh the compression on that R is 165 PSI using stock head gasket. Still very good compression. The guy I bought my first R from said it sat for like 10-15 years - sat so long he cant remember how long it was lol.

blasterandy
01-07-2007, 12:02 PM
I really pamper my machines i let no one other than myself ride them and i don't race anyone else besides my self that way i always win. :D Thanks that about all i needed to know. I feel confident that i will have one by this summer. My father is kinda po'ed that i wannt another after about 4 months. O well my money my gas. One day he'll come home and i'll just have another atv in the truck.:blah:
Thanks Drew

ChvyCruzen
01-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Good luck in your hunt for an R.
Matt

blasterandy
01-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks

Scott-300ex
01-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Yeh, the 250r is Power.

It will PULL so hard.

Rebuild, like on a lightly modded, pipe and filter and reeds, if its jetted and runs good, you could go 3 years easy before a rebuild, prolly 5 like the other guy said.

My buddy's had some, they're like 20 years older than me, they raced they're 250rs, when I raced my kx60. They said they should rebuild theirs like once a month. :eek: Yeeeeh, but that was fast stuff, back in the day only 250rs ran, $10,000 in the quad.

He said jumpin from his FT race one to his stock one with pipes was like goin from a 250r to a 300ex.

Now I beat modded 450's on my 250r and Its pretty well Lightly Modded, now just imagine if They were still racing their 250rs, They would lap all the 450's like twice in an 8 lap race. Just think How they would never loose, LoL.

Yeh so they are the funnest thing you can have.

twofocused
01-16-2007, 08:28 PM
I've got a 250 for you. PM me