PDA

View Full Version : please help

outlawed1
01-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Can anyone give me a baseline of how I should set up a stock suspension? I am 165 lbs and I turned the springs up 3 turns in the front and 2 in the back. The front shocks I set the compression and rebound the same . 17 clicks in the soft direction. I also set the back compression and rebound to 3 turns out to soft ( it only turns 4 complete turns) and the same for the rebound. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Splatter Matter
01-06-2007, 03:27 PM
what problem are you having.

outlawed1
01-06-2007, 04:24 PM
I adjusted the shocks and springs because I was tired of being beaten up when I ride. My friend has a brand new suzuki and it feels like butter when I rode it. I am trying to get the yzf to feellike that. Did I make the corredet changes? Thanks in advance.

quader419
01-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Have an 06YFZ450 Bill Balance edition,I adjusted my compression all the way soft on all 3,and raised spring on rear to within a couple of threads from the top,as for feeling like butter I can't say it was even close but did help some.I am currently rebuilding my suspension with Houser LT arms,Elka sport fronts,and GT Thunder revalve/respring/xc link,and am very hopeful of getting that butter like feel that you described.

richiesq75
01-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Get a new rear shock dual rate axis, ohlins, pep, or fox poduim, don't get elka here they have do be service a lot more often. And if you want to go big buy the linkage for the rear shock to. The front shock either replace or send out your shocks to be revalved and springs.

TWILES
01-06-2007, 10:00 PM
I don't have a YFZ but the old Yamaha Banshee shocks would really take a beating if you could put it on them. A lot of guys who say they suck never really hammer them like they are meant to be done. You'ed say PEP's blew if you just putted around the house on them. Start off raising the springs to the TOP, turn you compression as soft as it will go and get the rebound like it should be and start from there. Setting up shocks sucks because the back one is hard to get to. I worked on my wifes for 3 hours. Keep in mind that you DON'T have ZPS shocks. Too much sag is bad. Also you don't want the rear-end way lower than the front. It throws the handling off bad buy taking the leverage off from the tires. The springs don't only hold you up. They also hold the tires down. From what I saw of the YFZ's the back shock is way off from the front shocks. The back needs to be raised up and the fronts need to be softened anyway. When you start tightening your springs get the bike sitting level without you on it and adjust the compression from there. REMEMBER to make sure the rebound is where it need to be. It will throw you off the bike if its off too bad. You'll figure out where you want it. The front and back will be really close if not the back will be a little slower. The best way I ever found to adjust them was to find a decent jump and hit it adjusting every couple of jumps till it does what you want it to do. Those shock are extremely adjustable and at 165 you shouldn't have any trouble getting them where you want them if you start the way I told you to.