PDA

View Full Version : Shiney up stock axle, rotor, & sprocket?

Quadjunkie
01-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Do any of you 400ex Gods know how to shiney up a stock axle, brake rotor, and sprocket? I figure that there is a way to do it, just not sure how.

Also, is there anything that one can do to protect them and keep them looking good?

Pipeless416
01-06-2007, 12:55 AM
polishing these parts can be done using a wire wheel or a whole lot of sanding starting from a very course grit and moving all the way up to almost like an emory cloth grit. however, its very hard to keep it looking good, especially an axle since its steel and it wont be very bright like polished aluminum to begin with. with that being said, if you really wanted to try that, coat it with some type of clear coat. rustoleum makes something called crystal clear or something. it most likely wont stay nice for more than like a month though.. the more clear coats you apply, the longer the polished look will last.

Quadjunkie
01-06-2007, 07:09 AM
The brake rotor and sprocket appear to be stainless and have what I would call traces of rust. Do the same rules apply to them?

Quadjunkie
01-06-2007, 07:10 AM
do you have any pics of your quad? I'd be interested in seeing it.

400excaleb
01-06-2007, 06:17 PM
if u sand steel it will rust, my sprocket is very shiny, what i did is polished it so many times that it is like chrome now. id say u can do the same to the axle

01-06-2007, 10:14 PM
i use drywall sand paper to shine up my axle after every ride...it only lasts until the end of the ride so i don't spend too much time on it

Pipeless416
01-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Quadjunkie
do you have any pics of your quad? I'd be interested in seeing it.

heres a thread i made recently about the axle situation- http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=274660 - i tried to keep the axle looking nice by sanding it all the time but i gave up so im trying this instead. my sprocket was replaced since the stocker was worn and it came black so i figured id just leave it that way. now the rotor.. i dunno how to keep that looking nice beyond using steel wool every once in a while. hope this helped. :)

Quadjunkie
01-07-2007, 08:29 PM
How did you get your brake caliper that color. Is it Honda or some other color? And, how did you do your swing arm? I was planning on doing mine like that. Is it black or something else? I am very much wanting to know.

Pipeless416
01-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Quadjunkie
How did you get your brake caliper that color. Is it Honda or some other color? And, how did you do your swing arm? I was planning on doing mine like that. Is it black or something else? I am very much wanting to know.

the caliper was polished using a wire wheel and it looked great but it was so hard to keep up with it so i ended up using actual caliper paint for cars from autozone. its brushed on so it doesnt look too great since i didnt take my time but it definitely holds up great. the swingarm was cleaned off using steel wool and a degreaser then i used rubbing alcohol to remove any left over residue on it. i used "hammered" black rustoleum and gave it about 8 coats and then around 4 clear coats and a layer of the black over that. let it dry completely between each spray and it'll hold up pretty well. it never seems to chip, and its easy to wipe clean. for the money you cant go wrong. sorry for the novel.