PDA

View Full Version : When to rebuild and with what

quadwanter
01-05-2007, 01:05 PM
I've been kicking around the idea to do a little rebuild to keep my bike running strong and for a long time to come. I got my '05 R about 6 months ago and really dont know how many hours are on the bike or piston and stuff. I was thinking next fall/winter would be a good time to replace the piston with maybe a 12.25:1, replace the cam chain, new coolant and stuff but i dont know what else to do while i have it apart. I was thinking around $500-$700 just to get some fresh parts in there. I was also thinking about new axle bearings too.
So basically:
Piston of higher compression (still on pump gas)
Cam chain
Fluids
Axle Bearings

Let me know what you guys would replace with that kind of budget, might be benificial to a lot of people thinking about this as well.

hy250r
01-05-2007, 01:16 PM
i would check and adjust your valves while you are at it too.

Prey
01-05-2007, 01:22 PM
i would have the tranny gone through, the crank bearings replaced, the rod/crank checked and the valve train checked.

it will cost you a little for someone to split the cases/ check the valves & springs, but not near as much as if you had broke a case or dropped a valve.

i dropped a valve that ruined the cylinder, the head and the valve train, plus the machine had a new JE piston in it when it dropped the valve, it was a very expensive bill