PDA

View Full Version : Tire changing question?

deerslayer45
01-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Just wondering if you guys have any tips on changing tires on aluminum rims, I changed my rear tires to razr's and had a heck of a time getting the bead broke, even after futting the old tire off we still played hell getting all the bead of the rim. Now I am about to change my fronts to razr's and was wondering if there was anything I could put on it or do to make this job a little easier? Thanks

northwest Texas
01-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Yeah, it's usually easier to slip the tire on the narrower side of the wheel so the tire doesn't have to go on at such an angle to get into the midsection. If you do it right, a medium to large screwdriver would be all the leverage needed to slip the bead over the wheel.

As far as breaking the bead loose, you should do the side with the narrower section of the wheel first and that has always taken just one "bite" to do so. The back side usually takes about 3 "bites". Push down til it stops and then rotate the tire about 90-120 degrees and try again. If that doesn't break it loose, rotate it another 90-120 degrees and that always does it for me.

If you need some help, I just installed new Razr 2's on my fronts and I got in too much of a hurry and got one on backwards. I'm going to tear it down and turn it around later. I can take some pics to explain since I'm not very good with descriptions.

joshyz125
01-07-2007, 06:26 PM
I have a coats tire changer, and if the side wall wants to roll over, instead of the bed pushing down, i'll put a few punds of air in it, and it helps stiffen up the tire, and helps the bead brake loose.

Sounds backwards but i swear it works