PDA

View Full Version : First quad, but long time D bike rider

mrbell83
01-05-2007, 06:11 AM
Hey guys, Newbie here. I am new to quads but not to off roading. I have ridden dirt bikes for a long time. I currently have a EC200 gasgas and have had an XR200 and a CR250 in the past. I would like to try my hand at quads and have narrowed it down to 3 that I like.

Honda TRX400EX, Yamaha Raptor 350, and the Suzuki quadsport Z400. I have always liked Honda but since I know nothing about quads, I am open to any suggestions.

Now, which one is the best for me? I will not race, but I do drive my bikes aggressivly and I like trails allot! I have never rode a quad tho so I don't know if that needs to factor into my decision. Are they hard to ride? I mean harder than a bike? Do they tip easy? Is it easy to adjust for someone with years of D bike riding experience?

Thanks allot,
Chris

Raptor68
01-05-2007, 07:05 AM
If you have ridden a CR250 before, I would say all three of those quads you mentioned would feel extremely slow, even if it is your first quad.

WhiteZrider
01-05-2007, 07:12 AM
What year 400ex were you looking at getting? Because the older ones dont have reverse and the newer ones do. Personally i would get the Z because it really smooth, comfy, and powerful
. + it has reverse which really does come in handy.

But hey i cant tell you what to get, maybe you have a friend that has either a 400ex or a Z400 and you can try them out.

Also you said are they hard to ride, and can they tip easy.

They arent hard to ride, it may be hard for you if its your first time idk. And they arent really all that tipsy.

mrbell83
01-05-2007, 07:55 AM
Whatever I get I want New, I plan on keeping it for a long time and a new one for me is the best way to go.

I don't have any friends that have quads, so riding one of theres is out. I DO want reverse, that I feel is a must.

I don't need something as fast as my old CR250, especially since this is my first quad, but I was originally looking at a 300cc honda and everyone I talked to told me that it would be too slow and I wouldn't be happy with it.

I hope that helps some....

Thanks,
Chris

bradley300
01-05-2007, 07:59 AM
they just take a different style of riding. lean back and stay on the gas in whoops, use your body as a counter weight in the corners, and slide the rear in corners instead of using ruts to steer around.

my geuss is a 400ex/z400 is similar to a xr250 in speed because of the weight/gearing differences. the way the power comes on nice and smooth will be very comparable to an XR motor. the raptor 350 (also known as a warrior 350 pre-05) motor will have the same power characteristics, but wont have as much power as the 400ex/z400, nor will the suspension ride as well.

my vote is a 400ex. very relaibe and very simple. being air cooled there is that much less to worry about

mrbell83
01-05-2007, 08:42 AM
I was leaning toword the Honda, because I favor them anyway, but since I don't know jack about quads, I figured I would ask.

Thanks.......

Raptor68
01-05-2007, 08:45 AM
I would say go with a newer 400EX ('05-'06), as well. That way it has reverse, handles well, is a Honda, and plenty of aftermarket parts are available for it.

mrbell83
01-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Raptor68
I would say go with a newer 400EX ('05-'06), as well. That way it has reverse, handles well, is a Honda, and plenty of aftermarket parts are available for it.

Thanks, I think thats what I will do...