PDA

View Full Version : Help with a slow wheelie?

idro
01-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Needless to say I havent rode sport atv's that long.

What is the best way to do a slow wheelie?

I've got it down to being in second gear, but do you snap the clutch or roll the clutch like on a sport bike? I know you gotta be past the center of gravity....

I've not been trying to wheelie much, just for the past week. I have got the high speed wheelie down pat i think............urg.........i can ride it about 2ft. off the ground until second gear winds out... but that doesnt look like all the vids people post. I wanna do what they do on the vids. :p

chpsk8er630
01-04-2007, 10:53 PM
start from a dead stop and pop the clutch and practice alot.

red4ever
01-04-2007, 11:58 PM
if ur doing slow second gear wheelies then you could just get it to the balance point and feather the throttle

Oxbow Jimmah
01-05-2007, 03:23 AM
You have not once mentioned using or covering the brake. That is going to be the most important part or riding a wheelie. To ride a slow wheelie you need to bring the quad up past balance point and then bring the front end back down a little bit by feathering the rear brake. Using the brake will also save you from crashing a wheelie especially in a high speed one.

red4ever
01-05-2007, 03:09 PM
how is the rear brake more important than the throttle in a slow wheelie? if u so much as tap the rear brake in a really slow wheelie the front end will drop like a brick in case you havnt noticed and if u tap the grab bar then you fall 6 inches push the quad down and go play big deal

400exridin121
01-05-2007, 05:50 PM
not if you are still in the same position you were when you were riding it, or you dont know the meaning of lightly tap, either way, just lightly press on the back brake and youll go down give it more throttle and your back to bp if you can get there

red4ever
01-06-2007, 12:09 AM
or just get it rite below the balance point and feather the throttle easier imo especially if u like to stand in the grab bar

jokester
01-06-2007, 12:28 PM
the best way to do a slow wheelie is do it in first gear, put your left foot in the grab bar, right foot over the rear brake pedal. When you get the quad to the balance point, bring it just a little bit farther and lightly (LIGHTLY!) tap the rear brake and it will drop the front end just a little bit. and just keep doing this and you'll be doing them way slow, but once you get to where your quad is almost ready to stall out from going so slow thats when you start pulling in the clutch that way it doesn't die. But just practice and you'll get good over time. I can completely keep mine in one spot for about a second or two then start it back out, but you need to learn how to use your clutch in sequence with your gas and the rear brake.

red4ever
01-06-2007, 11:32 PM
thats beast

ExtremeAcres
01-12-2007, 10:06 AM
how slow do you want to go ? Rear brake IS more critical than any of the other controls....(as the second video will prove here...doing a slow wheelie with NO Throttle or Clutch....only rear brake and balance...with the idle turned up )

The first Video is Slower than Idle.....So it requires Throttle, Clutch and rear brake control...ALL being used simultaniously.

And Jokester has given the best advice so far as to how to launch them for a slow wheelie ....Practice will be the Key ! Enjoy :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzUOA8UDU3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_2ykBPHR_M

red4ever
01-12-2007, 01:50 PM
dont push your opinion on me! now dress like me and worship my god

idro
01-12-2007, 03:10 PM
lol i've been practicing w/ this and i forget to use the foot brake and my quad just pops straight up and on to the bar. :( i can't find the spot to hit the brake, lol. Its either too soon or too late. And my back bar is getting ate up, haha

idro
01-13-2007, 10:01 AM
woot im gettin the hang of it :cool:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a115/idro/pop1.jpg

ExtremeAcres
01-13-2007, 04:09 PM
yep...it looks like you're getting the hang of it ....

ready for the next level ? The first thing i see that will improve your balance and stance.....is to now straighten up that back leg....and get your knee off the seat.... trust me ....this is the exact natural progression we have all gone through....
the first few times it will feel wierd....but within one day....you will see more improvement....and after two or three days of practice with your knee off the seat.(you'll be killing long wheelies that you could ride forever...AND ...your rear braking will get way better too!)...and by then when you try and put your knee on the seat , it will feel really wierd and be way harder to wheelie.... Now go try that out...and update us of your progression. good luck man....keep up the good work :cool:

idro
01-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by ExtremeAcres
yep...it looks like you're getting the hang of it ....

ready for the next level ? The first thing i see that will improve your balance and stance.....is to now straighten up that back leg....and get your knee off the seat.... trust me ....this is the exact natural progression we have all gone through....
the first few times it will feel wierd....but within one day....you will see more improvement....and after two or three days of practice with your knee off the seat.(you'll be killing long wheelies that you could ride forever...AND ...your rear braking will get way better too!)...and by then when you try and put your knee on the seat , it will feel really wierd and be way harder to wheelie.... Now go try that out...and update us of your progression. good luck man....keep up the good work :cool:

haha yea actually the pics were taken in the morning. I did a few things around the house and went back in the evening. And started doing the leg straight thing and yea it does work. You can pivot the quad more and push it down and what not and not use as much gas. I turned my idle up too and that really helps. i dont have to dump the clutch as much it seems.

ExtremeAcres
01-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Yep yep.... Keep up the great work... I remember how good it felt to conquer those first steps into riding really good wheelies on the Quad ! (It was only 6 months ago or so for me)
now I'm trying to learn the Slow wheelies and such on Bikes also...it's about 10 times harder...but with dedication and practice... I know it's achievable ! later man :D

01-15-2007, 11:24 AM
wow realy hot! :) :)
[url\url]
regards, Abedmoterted2

jokester
01-15-2007, 07:40 PM
ya after a while of being able to do slow wheelies like its second nature it tends to get boring and doesn't really present any challege... and starting out at first and shifting through 5th tends to get old after a while too...thats why I'm now practicing stunts while doing these wheelies adds plenty more of a challenge which makes it fun....so far my favorite trick I've seen is people standing on top of the handle bars while riding a wheelie. It takes sooo much practice. I've tried this about 15 times or so and so far I've managed to fall right off when I start to stand on the bars :( but just like anything it takes practice..

ExtremeAcres
01-15-2007, 08:49 PM
standing on the handlebars ? Ive never seen this (not while wheelying) got any pics or videos?

jokester
01-15-2007, 10:16 PM
here is a pic of another guy doing it....
I can manage to get my left foot up there, but when I start to bring my right foot up I always fall off everytime!!

ExtremeAcres
01-16-2007, 03:19 PM
wow...thats the first time ive seen that.... looks nasty ! And I cant see him covering the RB (even if he had a RHB(he's not covering it) I'm such a skeptic .... I'm almost wondering if the quad isnt propped up and not actually riding a wheelie in motion. (like have you ever seen the wheelie machine they have for bikes ?

Have you ever seen a vid of him doing it ? Wow I wonder who it is ? Very cool thanks

jokester
01-16-2007, 11:07 PM
hey if you go to this link it shows him and a bunch of other guys doing some pretty sick wheelie tricks... and I'm pretty sure that those are pretty legit. I've seen some video of these guys doing tricks before, but I haven't seen that paticular trick of standing on the hanle bars. But I do know that it is possible though. I finally managed to ride one for about a foot and a half this time before I fell off :D

http://www.cvboyz.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=17&g2_page=1

ExtremeAcres
01-17-2007, 07:04 AM
Yeah....SOmebody on another site...said they think is JLanphear.... I've seen some of their vids....Definately sick.... It looks like his foot is actually not on the handlebars ...but on the tank in front of the gascap....You might try that jokester...and you might not fall off for 5 or 10 feet LOL...J/K keep up the good work ! later man. and Josh ....your a SICK Rider !!! Props !

jokester
01-17-2007, 04:56 PM
dude!! your were on on that one!!! he is standing on that part of the gas tank..I never realized that, I always thought it looked like he was standing on the handle bars... wow nice call man!

JLanphear
01-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Hey guys....Yes that pic is me.....

And, for the record...haha. I am standing on the bars, not the tank. And the quad is not propped up on something...it's moving. No Handbrake either.

I'll attach the full size version. Oh and also....the pic is from 2 years ago.

Guess I might as well post the video also.... http://www.cvboyz.com/videos/nswatchtower.wmv

-Josh

jokester
01-19-2007, 12:37 PM
^^^ whoops....sorry about that....I guess I was right the first time when I said you were standing on the bars.....how the hell you do that anyway?? everytime I try it I wind up falling off:mad:

jokester
01-21-2007, 07:52 PM
well I finally did it!!! after all of my practice it finally paid off!!!

Quadboy14
02-20-2007, 12:34 PM
While were on a wheelie thread here.... How do you pull a superman wheelie? And what exactly is it?

jokester
02-20-2007, 09:36 PM
for a superman wheelie you need to lean over the front end and grab onto the bumper and lift the rest of your body off of the quad so that your legs are straight out, and your holding yourself up with your chest on the handle bars while keeping your right hand on the gas.