PDA

View Full Version : Edelbrock Carbs for 400ex?

Quadjunkie
01-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Anybody had some experience with the Edelbrock Carbs for a 400ex (Modified). Upsides? Downsides?

Crashmore 22
01-04-2007, 11:03 PM
I have one on my Duncan 440 national engine. I race xc with it. Initially, I had an extremely stiff throttle, after a few calls and adjustment advice from Loren I got the throttle pull to be reasonable. Then the accelerator pump arm broke in half. I called Chris Silva at Edlebrock, they are an exceptional company, they paid for the shipping to and from and no charge for the parts. After I got it back it was easier to pull than the stock carb!! Since then I have had no problems with it. It is very easy to adjust and makes the 440 breathe!!!!!!!!!!! Any ?'s pm me.

CHEVYZ
01-05-2007, 04:30 AM
I had one on my full 440, and it sucked. I never realized how bad it was until I switched to something different-the 450r carb-which then I saw a world of improvement. I say don't waste your money. It is kind of disappointing when a carb you paid $75 for is outperforming $400 setups.

Here is my take overall..
Upsides......was relatively easy to tune. No jets, just adjustments and needles. It looked good and was better than the stocker for the most part.

Downsides....the throttle on the carb was just stupid. To allow the carb to reach WOT with the thumb throttle you have to grind out your throttle box to enable the throttle lever to push out farther. That means that when you want WOT you have to throw your hand to the moon before it will actually reach it. Another downside was the performance. Though better than stock, even "cheap" 450r carbs were far better performers, not to mention brands like FCR. Not worth the money.

enduro400rider
01-05-2007, 09:16 AM
i had one on my 440 and it worked great. very easy to adjust.....no jets. i broke a screw off in it and i called edlebroke, i sent it in and the fixed it and sent it back to me free of charge. it looked like new when i got it back, it was all polished and they even put a choke kit on it. they sent it back in a new box with manuals and everything

Chin_Chilla
01-05-2007, 09:19 AM
When I first got my 400EX, I was calling around well known racing companys like CT Racing, Powroll, Duncan Racing, etc. I was on the phone with Duncan Racing, and asked them what they thought about the Edelbrock. They told me not to get the Edelbrock, but to go with the FCR 39. This is coming straight from Duncan Racing...:eek2:

480ex
01-05-2007, 01:29 PM
ya i have one on my quad never had any problems with it boght it used off ebay works grate and ez to adjust.prolly the best $200 i spent on my quad.:cool:

Sheepless
01-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Had one in our 440, could not have sucked worse. Just trying to get it tuned right was a huge PITA, you can forget about fine tuning!
Sold it to an idiot on Ebay after hours of trying to make it work!!!

1fst400
01-05-2007, 01:49 PM
I had a FCR on my 416 a while back. What a pain that was to tune in. It made more power noticibly. but if i had to do it againg I would just get a 450r and bore it or somthing.