PDA

View Full Version : Quad Width Laws vs Safety

Zuukn
01-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Off road quads do not escape the laws of physics with regard to vehicle handling characteristics and dynamics. They have a relatively small “foot print” (width and wheelbase) which results in a relatively high center of gravity. This makes them a more maneuverable in tight areas at the expense of vehicle stability. They can more easily tip over sideways, backwards or even forward. The dimensions are due in large part to short sighted ill advised laws in many states that actually limit the width of ATVs. Manufacturers have to manufacture machines to meet the width restriction in the most restrictive jurisdiction in order to have a machine they can sell in all jurisdictions. In the past 20 years trail systems with maximum widths of 50 inches have developed because of this.

The small foot print is fine if you want or need the extra maneuverability. Many riders do not. They operate quads in more open areas and in some jurisdictions on public roads. Sand riders in the Southwest regularly go to considerable expense to install extra width a-arms and axles in order to gain more stability. The bottom line is; allowing machines to be a little wider and have a proportionately longer wheel base would make them much more stable. It would be nice to have a choice. How many deaths and injuries have resulted because of maximum width laws?

96lapis coupe
01-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Mine's at 49" wide and I have hard time fitting through trees already. They make a wider atv now, it's called a jeep wrangler.:ermm:

deathman53
01-04-2007, 03:30 PM
that guy is crazy, he sounds like a lawyer or representive from some anti-atv group. Two of my quads are 49", both trikes are 49". I only ride mx. I rode trails at my friend's house. I could hardy fit between trees, and this guy wants them WIDER????
There is many trails near me, where if you have a +4 axle, you are asking for dinged rims and/or bent axle. I bent the axle on my 200x, as it was 49" in the woods, I went a tad too wide and 4th gear into a tree. I can't stand riding a wide quad though woods, and he want them wider??????

Stevie-D
01-04-2007, 03:35 PM
its an issue of rider capability, not vehicle width or length

SRH
01-04-2007, 03:38 PM
the reason people get hurt on quads is because , not everyone is a intelligent responsible , or sensible person, all the warnings are on the quad, and yet people disobey them, its unfortunate, every atv out there is plenty safe as it is, but when ridden faster or harder than originally intended, ie modified, then adding extra width is a must

not everything in the world should be idiot proof,humans have nature messed up, two words, natural selection

SRH
01-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Zuukn
Off road quads do not escape the laws of physics with regard to vehicle handling characteristics and dynamics. They have a relatively small “foot print” (width and wheelbase) which results in a relatively high center of gravity. This makes them a more maneuverable in tight areas at the expense of vehicle stability. They can more easily tip over sideways, backwards or even forward. The dimensions are due in large part to short sighted ill advised laws in many states that actually limit the width of ATVs. Manufacturers have to manufacture machines to meet the width restriction in the most restrictive jurisdiction in order to have a machine they can sell in all jurisdictions. In the past 20 years trail systems with maximum widths of 50 inches have developed because of this.

The small foot print is fine if you want or need the extra maneuverability. Many riders do not. They operate quads in more open areas and in some jurisdictions on public roads. Sand riders in the Southwest regularly go to considerable expense to install extra width a-arms and axles in order to gain more stability. The bottom line is; allowing machines to be a little wider and have a proportionately longer wheel base would make them much more stable. It would be nice to have a choice. How many deaths and injuries have resulted because of maximum width laws?

none, let me ask you this, how many injuries and deaths have resulted because of stupidity and ignorance

Stevie-D
01-04-2007, 03:51 PM
The bottom line is; allowing machines to be a little wider and have a proportionately longer wheel base would make them much more stable. It would be nice to have a choice.

many aftermarket companies (laegar, houser, the list goes on and on) offer longer a-arms and axles should the rider feel the need to widen the quad.

NOBODY is forced to get on an atv and ride it. if there is a width regulation in effect, people do not need to stick to it once the machine is owned by them.

when a race oriented quad is ridden properly, it is a safe machine. it is when it is actually ridden hard and aggressively that the wider suspension comes into play.

SRH
01-04-2007, 04:11 PM
by the way width, length all affect turning radius, and handling wider isnot always better

trx450jason
01-04-2007, 04:18 PM
so theres laws that limit the width of atvs? or did i miss something.. i wonder why this is you think the wider the safter it would be to lawmakers

Rider-trx_250ex
01-04-2007, 05:50 PM
it is mainly a rider capabilitly, some people go buy quads and just take them into woods they were never in before and fly, stupidity. that guy is more than likely someone who is very dumb on the topic and coming from a person who never rode an atv just heard all the bad stuff about them and decided to put his .02 cents in, which may seem like it is a good idea to him because he never rode an atv,............rider responsibility.

deathman53
01-04-2007, 07:07 PM
notice, this was his first post.

northwest Texas
01-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Most of you made good arguments but this person won't read them. They just threw that out there. Your words will be misconstrued and twisted to support their argument.

I don't know exactly their reason but I think we'd all be better off ignoring this person whom sounds like they may be on the anti-ATV payroll (though I'm not 100% sure)

Rider-trx_250ex
01-04-2007, 07:29 PM
if thats the case we should all delete our posts, it does seem suspecius.

northwest Texas
01-04-2007, 07:37 PM
I forget the #'s, but if we wore helmets in our cars, the number of people that would be saved was staggering. Of course, that would NEVER happen, but it would save lives.

An explanation. Several years ago, I was visiting with a fellow whose daughter nearly died from a minor car wreck. She was in the back seat and the collision caused her to hit her head on the side of the car back there somewhere. She had massive brain injuries and was very seriously hurt from a minor fender bender. I forget most details but I think she recovered but something as simple as that would've saved more than just her head.

bradley300
01-05-2007, 08:04 AM
How many deaths and injuries have resulted because of maximum width laws?

far far fewer than how many have been caused by irresponsible riders or riders parents that refuse to follow the many many warnings on the fender of each ATV

01-05-2007, 08:11 AM
i dont get the point of this thread, i vote to delete it, JMO

PolarisRider06
01-05-2007, 12:55 PM
i'm with you on that... not to mention the only max width rule i've ever heard of is for ATVA sanctioned races.

DELETE THIS THREAD

red2004 TRX450R
01-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by northwest Texas
Most of you made good arguments but this person won't read them. They just threw that out there. Your words will be misconstrued and twisted to support their argument.

I don't know exactly their reason but I think we'd all be better off ignoring this person whom sounds like they may be on the anti-ATV payroll (though I'm not 100% sure)

i read this post when it had no responses.
i decided not to respond but to let other people aware of the post!!!

put i know in PA there is a class I ATV and a Class II ATV.
class I is 50" max and has a straddle seat and handle bars.
the Class II is over 50" has a side by side seat and a steering wheel.

Zuukn
01-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Are you guys sure all of the ATV laws on the books are good for the sport?

I kind of like this Polaris Revolver shown on the front page.

http://www.atvriders.com/atvnews/polaris2007revolveratvnaias.html

I noticed the following paragraphs in the article:

"A heavy-duty suspension with a radically lowered and widened stance result in superior cornering maneuvers on all types of terrain
Hydraulic steering dampener and long wheelbase increases stability on all surfaces"

It won't happen in this country unless some laws change.

96lapis coupe
01-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Why would we want any new laws? I'm completely lost as to what kind of answers you are looking for. My 49" wide atv is too wide for alot of woods trails. What good would a 60" wide or whatever ATV do for anyone?:huh

JOEX
01-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Are you guys sure all of the ATV laws on the books are good for the sport?

I kind of like this Polaris Revolver shown on the front page.

http://www.atvriders.com/atvnews/polaris2007revolveratvnaias.html

I noticed the following paragraphs in the article:

"A heavy-duty suspension with a radically lowered and widened stance result in superior cornering maneuvers on all types of terrain
Hydraulic steering dampener and long wheelbase increases stability on all surfaces"

It won't happen in this country unless some laws change.
Would you mind sharing your agenda with us? Or do you prefer keeping it Greek?

I can put the better writing that is found here in my website

Zuukn
01-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Nope I don't want new laws. I want fewer laws so things will be less difficult for us.

STEVENJANNA
01-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Can someone translate his/her signature please?

NorCalRacer
01-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Definitely a political agenda:rolleyes: I say he lives in CA:blah: