PDA

View Full Version : 400ex stator rewinding?

red_rider38
01-04-2007, 07:58 AM
I know I can buy a new stator from Ricky Stator or have Baja Designs rewind the stocker to have more power. I have searched through the xr forums to find that they rewind the stators themselves to save a few $. My question is the following. The XR's stator have a few poles unwound while the trx's have windings around each pole. The XR owners just continue the windings into the unwounded poles, but the trx's have all the poles winded. Would just adding more magnetic wire to each pole increase the power?:confused: How do they rewind the stator? I compared the illustrations of the Ricky Stator stator versus stock and it seems their's has more windings in each pole.

thanks
-oliver

triple b
01-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Hey Red
Frist off let me say I am not an expert......
No you can not just add wire to the existing poles.....You would need to remove all the windings off the stock stator. Then you need to start over with one continious wire and add windings to each pole. With the XR stators 32 to 35 windings of 16 ga magnitec over 10 poles give you about 120 watts. Stock XR is 80 watts (I do not know what the stock TRX stator puts out but I would guess it is close to 120 watts with the starter, battery and dual lights)
There are a few guys on Thumpertalk who know there stuff when it comes to stators. I would become a member and search the XR600/600 forum you will find a ton of stator info there.
If you try to do it you self and it does not work you can always call Ricky Stator to buy a new one. If it works you will save $$$ and the satafaction of doing it your self.
Good Luck and keep us posted

red_rider38
01-05-2007, 03:31 PM
thanks triple b
I am already a member of thumpertalk. That's where I got the idea of the rewinding. I will post a thread in the xr's forum and see what I can get.