PDA

View Full Version : Quads Banned!!!

clutch22
01-03-2007, 08:39 PM
I live in a county that consists of a few small towns of about 1200people.... about a year ago the county banned quads from riding in town...well actually they bannd them from any road(dirtroads too)...

I think the main reason why they banned them is because a few poeple were ridin out in the country, drunk, w/out headlights and someone got killed.. I dont think that they should punish everyone by something that a few irresponsible people did. ... People get in car fatalities, but u dont see them banning cars.......

Is there anyway that this ordinance can be overturned, and be able to ride again?

northwest Texas
01-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Doubtful.

I'm a little confused. Are you wanting to go back to riding on the roads again with vehicles?

clutch22
01-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by northwest Texas
Doubtful.

I'm a little confused. Are you wanting to go back to riding on the roads again with vehicles?

I'm just sayin that a few years ago, we could ride up and down the streets in town, and i as well as all my other friends who ride, want it back the way it used to be.

northwest Texas
01-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Ain't gonna happen, especially if someone did die in an accident.

It may die over in a couple years and things may get closer than they are now but they won't be like "the good ol days"

Unfortunately, it is that kind of thing that our sport fights against. All it takes is one accident/jerk/etc. and it's not hard to jump on the bandwagon and get in the mode of "we gotta do something "

You ever watch the Simpsons? Hear the phrase "think of the children" and all the hub bub that goes on? As a parent, there's nothing I wouldn't do to protect my boys. Sometimes it's that same instinct that perhaps goes a little overboard. It breaks my heart literally each time I see a child hurt badly, or worse yet die. It's something you'll come to find out soon enough.

I know you may think it is harmless riding the streets in your little town(s) but it is against the law and that's not really what ATV's are for. I live in a rural part of the country (graduated with 9 other classmates) like you and I know how "harmless" you think it is. Fact is, probably when I was 17, I would've agreed with you.

I'm not trying to lecture you, just trying to explain some of the thinking (poorly I admit) of what goes on and not necessarily why you're wrong but just thoughts in general.

You can fight to change it but you won't overturn it. I'm not telling you not to. If they're only restricting the use on public streets and roads and not much else, maybe you gotta just pick your battles.

01-04-2007, 06:09 AM
welcome the the way 90% of the quad population live...for all of those who think that thier actions on an atv never affect anyone but them...look at this as an example of how you actions affect everyone on an atv

01-04-2007, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by clutch22
I live in a county that consists of a few small towns of about 1200people.... about a year ago the county banned quads from riding in town...well actually they bannd them from any road(dirtroads too)...

I think the main reason why they banned them is because a few poeple were ridin out in the country, drunk, w/out headlights and someone got killed.. I dont think that they should punish everyone by something that a few irresponsible people did. ... People get in car fatalities, but u dont see them banning cars.......

Is there anyway that this ordinance can be overturned, and be able to ride again?

Quads are not street legal to begin with, unless of course you go to the expense of making one street legal. So the fact in years past quads were allowed in town was being done illegally to begin with.

Aceman
01-04-2007, 07:06 AM
Maybe the town has a local amendment allowing quads on the roads? I know Quadjunkies has posted a certain town in Idaho lets you ride atv's all around town, up to the gas pump, etc because atv's are a major part of their tourism.

If you don't want atv's banned, you need to start doing something about it. Go to your public meetings when they're discussing the topic. Whining about it after the fact accomplishes nothing.

01-04-2007, 07:13 AM
Theirs some dumb brod that lives a couple houses down from me and every one around her has quads and she was trying to get every one that lives around us to sign a paper to try to make it so none of us could drive and were way out in the country! Ha but it didnt work (yet).

clutch22
01-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Its kinda funny, because i started this thread last night, and the next morning in government class, my teacher asked us to pick a political, or social issue and research it and do something about it.
So i figured what better than to go ahead and get info together and push this issue with the county commisioners and at least get some sort of freedom on our quads.

Creech52
01-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Point is quads aren't made to be driven on the roads, thats why we have cars. Your only real point of argument is if you need access to the roads to get from trail to trail. That is why some towns allow it, because they have major trail systems that you must travel down roads to go from trail head to trail head. If you feel you have been wronged by your counties decision stand up for what you believe in and maybe you can change things, good luck.

jwick07
01-04-2007, 12:34 PM
what little town in Kansas, I grew up Hays and now live in Manhattan

400exMO
01-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by jwick07
what little town in Kansas, I grew up Hays and now live in Manhattan
I agree I'm from Hutch, where did this happen?

clutch22
01-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by 400exMO
I agree I'm from Hutch, where did this happen?

Stafford, about 30mins west of hutch

jwick07
01-05-2007, 08:08 AM
yeah I know were that is at I spent a lot of time in St. John when i was a senior in high school back in 99

jwick07
yeah I know were that is at I spent a lot of time in St. John when i was a senior in high school back in 99

jwick07

400exc
01-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Yea the town i live by was ok with riding quads on the roads in town and such without any problem as long as you followed the law. But some idiots started drag racing (while they were drunk) and crap up and down the streets and the cops found them. The idiots ran for it and only 1 got caught, but then that guy told the cops the rest of the guys so he wouldnt get into as muhc trouble.

Xater
01-05-2007, 04:09 PM
on one side of my town on sundays they let people ride quads on the road to get to the systems of trails, even the police chef rides the road on sunday. but on my side of town i can ride the side of the road in 1st and they wont bother me.

smokinwrench
01-05-2007, 09:16 PM
I live in Cimarron out by Dodge City and the cops don't bother anyone that is riding from your house down to the river. Just make sure you ride nice and slow, some kids always seem to get to racing down the street and then the trouble starts.

01-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by 400exc
Yea the town i live by was ok with riding quads on the roads in town and such without any problem as long as you followed the law. But some idiots started drag racing (while they were drunk) and crap up and down the streets and the cops found them. The idiots ran for it and only 1 got caught, but then that guy told the cops the rest of the guys so he wouldnt get into as muhc trouble.

What a chit head if the quad runs run i mean wtf.

Tater049
01-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Start a pettition and try to get people to sign it, even if they are out of state. Just do whatever you can to get them back. Or just ride anyway, and if a coo follows you then run. When you do this and start running others will too, and there would be just too many to stop. So, the cops would give up and make them legal again. Trust me, it worked in my city.

Mxjunkie
01-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Im surprised you guys could even ride on the roads! cop's go ape chit around here if you even cross the street

Bandicoot
01-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Where I live in Los Angeles, you have to drive for an hour to get to a place to ride.
If they let people ride on the streets here , some one would get run over or die ech minute of the day, way to many people who don't give a f $%& about anybody else..... But I would still ride if they let me! I ride a sport bike and every ride there is a close call... :chinese:

Kansas400ex
01-07-2007, 10:03 AM
cops here dont care well they do, but as long as you dont hot rod it through town they dont care, now they will follow ya but thats it. In the country they dont care.

QuadJunkies
01-12-2007, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Aceman
Maybe the town has a local amendment allowing quads on the roads? I know Quadjunkies has posted a certain town in Idaho lets you ride atv's all around town, up to the gas pump, etc because atv's are a major part of their tourism.

If you don't want atv's banned, you need to start doing something about it. Go to your public meetings when they're discussing the topic. Whining about it after the fact accomplishes nothing.

That would be in Idaho City.
Beautiful Country too!