PDA

View Full Version : Dispute between a friend and I(jetting warning)

idro
01-03-2007, 08:13 PM
A friend of mine believes just by him jetting his ATV he picked up some HP? Is this true?

I was just under the impression this just adjusted the A/F ratios.

He has a 450r if that helps any. *shrugs*

--------------------

Btw, got exhaust slipon, and jet kit coming... Should be here next week, im pretty stoked. :cool:

hornetgod13
01-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Jetting alone will not add much to improve his horsepower. It will help his throttle response. He needs to add mods like new exhaust, air filter, air box mods, larger piston, cam. Rejetting after any of those mods will unleash the extra horsepower he's bragging about. Another way to get a jump on the competition is a smaller front sprocket and larger back one This will produce more low end torque.

firefighterjosh
01-03-2007, 09:34 PM
If jetted correctly even on a stock engine you will gain some HP. Just depends how much it is off when he got it. Prally only gain .01 HP.

To unleash some power you need exhaulst and airfilter for starters.

jokester
01-03-2007, 09:35 PM
at the very most!! I would say maybe he picked up a single ponny, but otherwise all it probably did was increase his throttle response a little bit..

Honda#4
01-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Maybe just a pony he picked up otherwise just throttle response you get from jetting, you would have to get a pipe, air filter, and maybe a sprocket would also help to get more power.

underpowered
01-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
Jetting alone will not add much to improve his horsepower. It will help his throttle response. He needs to add mods like new exhaust, air filter, air box mods, larger piston, cam. Rejetting after any of those mods will unleash the extra horsepower he's bragging about. Another way to get a jump on the competition is a smaller front sprocket and larger back one This will produce more low end torque.

not quite.

jetting will increase the horspower, thats why proper jetting is so important. byt slighly chanign the jetting you can gain or lose HP. most people only rejet with teh addition of a pipe, filter, ect... but small gains can be achieved on a stock bike through jetting. the difference may be minimal since the bike should be close from the factory, but still a difference.

But gearing will not give you more power, it just changes the speeds you are traveling at a certain RPM. lower gearing give the feeling of more torque because you are higher in the RPM range and powerband than you would normaly be with stock or taller gearing. you did not gain any thing from gearing, it only felt like it.

idro
01-04-2007, 09:14 AM
yea i know all about tire sizes and gearing believe me lol...

but im kinda concerned about jetting, don't want to go through 4 spark plugs just to get the right jetting.

Its been kinda cold lately and havent rode my quad much since summer(I'm a pansy when it comes to cold weather), and yesterday i went and rode it for a long time and with the cold weather it feels really slow since summer.

underpowered
01-04-2007, 10:07 AM
in cold weather you should richen up your jetting. the air is denser so you are getting more oxygen than you would in teh summer. if your jetting was right in teh summer you might be a little lean now. usually i run no airbox lid in the summer time and with teh lid in teh winter. it is not exact but is kinda close for winter jetting and is better than running lean. in the winter you should go up about 1 MJ size and adjust the a/f screw. i would run it the way it is and do a plug check to see what it looks lke right now.