PDA

View Full Version : Cam break in?

danniheyj82888
01-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Am I supposed to go through another break in period on my 450r after installing HRC kit? I have read both, that I do and do not need to. I was thinking just take it a bit easy for the first couple rides.. or not?

keller45
01-03-2007, 06:04 PM
That's pretty much what I did. Have you rode it yet?

Does the HRC with the HMF give a big bump in bottom end?

trx450jason
01-03-2007, 06:05 PM
i have no experience with this but i've heard you need to vary the rpm's when breaking a cam in.. but i could be wrong

danniheyj82888
01-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by keller45
That's pretty much what I did. Have you rode it yet?

Does the HRC with the HMF give a big bump in bottom end?

No. I havent finished installing it yet.. but I will let you know how I like it. I will be riding it on Saturday so Ill update anyone who wants to know.

Dave400ex
01-03-2007, 08:03 PM
When I put my Baldwin XC cam in I was told to get it through a heat cycle and then let er rip.

lumi
01-03-2007, 08:49 PM
hey danny good luck with the install...

i know most cam manufactures come with instructions to do a cam break in..... hotcams does i know that... there procedure is to not go high rpm or dont lug it and let it idle for a long time to vary rpms but no full throttle and do like 2 heat cycle.... ride it for 20 minutes and than let it cool for 30 to a hour and than do the same again.. let it cool and than i think to change the oil and than let her ripp.. most people let her ripp anyways so...i wouldnt see anything needing to break in , in a bad way....

but go to hotcams site to get more info...

imo the important thing is to mix assembly lube and oil in a small cup and to lube the lobes and rollers on the cam assembly well and the buckets on the outside and the tower.... this is important..

i kno the hrc manual doesnt say anything about a break in.
and i wouldnt break it in as long as it doesnt say so from honda. the cam isnt to radical so i wouldnt see a reason for break in and maybve the reason for honda not mentioning a break in period.

-lumi

danniheyj82888
01-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by lumi
hey danny good luck with the install...

i know most cam manufactures come with instructions to do a cam break in..... hotcams does i know that... there procedure is to not go high rpm or dont lug it and let it idle for a long time to vary rpms but no full throttle and do like 2 heat cycle.... ride it for 20 minutes and than let it cool for 30 to a hour and than do the same again.. let it cool and than i think to change the oil and than let her ripp.. most people let her ripp anyways so...i wouldnt see anything needing to break in , in a bad way....

but go to hotcams site to get more info...

imo the important thing is to mix assembly lube and oil in a small cup and to lube the lobes and rollers on the cam assembly well and the buckets on the outside and the tower.... this is important..

i kno the hrc manual doesnt say anything about a break in.
and i wouldnt break it in as long as it doesnt say so from honda. the cam isnt to radical so i wouldnt see a reason for break in and maybve the reason for honda not mentioning a break in period.

-lumi

sounds good.. Thanks for the help. Did you break yours in when you had it? Or did you ride it like you stole it?

keller45
01-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Ride Report already! :D

danniheyj82888
01-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by keller45
Ride Report already! :D

haha.. sorry about that. Im putting it in tomorrow after work.. and if i dont finish, then it will be done saturday afternoon. then im sure to report. One quick question. Do i need cam lube or do I use regular oil to oil the lobes of the cam?

keller45
01-05-2007, 06:22 PM
We used Cam Lube, I've heard of using Moly and oil 50/50 too.

Use this if you need to for help
http://www.rockinhorseweb.com/450r_how_to_guides.htm

lumi
01-05-2007, 06:43 PM
i used some polaris moly paste that was in my garage and a mix of the engine oil i use in my quad in a small cup and mix together and lubed the lobes on the cam..

-lumi

ricks450
01-05-2007, 07:05 PM
lube those cam lobes real good. when i put my cam in i just turned the idle up a little so it didnt lope and let it run for about 30 mins. then rode it just cruising around for about 5 hours. then changed motor oil after ridin that day. any part that as to wear together like that i would let it break in. you want your lobes to seat good on the lifters and your shims to. i would definitly let it break in. better safe then sorry. :D i just used bearing grease and poured motor oil all over the cam assembly and valves. most poeple wont use bearing grease because it dosent say cam lube on it. but it will work, been building motors a long time using it and never had any problems. besides it doesnt stay on the cam long anyway. :blah:

Flyin-Low
01-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Hotcams reccomends that you dont use part synthetic or full synthetic oil when breaking in the cam. I dont know why, its just what it said.

-Martin

lumi
01-06-2007, 01:48 PM
the hot cams is more agressive has a has a protectibve layer on it, hence the oila dn break in procedures and them just trying to save there arses... for a hrc cam no break in is really required.. if it was im sure honda would be the first to list it....
but i did run the engine slow for about 5 minutes before i let her ripp!! jmho

-lumi:D

ricks450
01-06-2007, 08:31 PM
synthetic oil is alot slicker oil which as less friction. it doesnt let your cam break in or motor, thats y honda tells you to not use it in there motors until its broke in. which is about 10hrs. you need to put so time on it first with reg. motor oil. :D