PDA

View Full Version : Snorkel vs Airbox Lid

Quadjunkie
01-03-2007, 03:29 PM
I like using the 'vs' in my subjects. Like on the radio when they say there was an accident and it was a 'pedestrian vs a semi truck'. Geeze, sounds like a real battle!

Anyways, I have read some threads and come across some riders saying that they remove their snokel while others remove their airbox.

Can anybody shed some light on this topic?

Thanks

oldskoolex400
01-03-2007, 03:32 PM
i dont know what your asking, you are not very specific

TT racers remove their airbox usually, the snorkel is only a small tube, it doesnt have as much air increase as removing the whole airbox, i would say if your asking this question that you need to go with the snorkel

81 clark racing
01-03-2007, 04:07 PM
r u talking about removing the air box lid?

oldskoolex400
01-03-2007, 04:28 PM
thats what im wondering now, to start with he said lid later on he says airbox, he needs to be more specific, if he is asking this question he doesnt need to do either thing..... lol :p

hornetgod13
01-03-2007, 05:05 PM
I removed my snorkel and put a Nac's Racing Snorkel plug in the airbox inlet. I took the stock lid off and went with a EHS Racing lid. It's a stock lid with a large opening cut out with Outerwears covering the hole. The air flow is much better than what the small snokel inlet could provide and just slightly less than having the lid off. I like the added protection from mud and large debris. The Outerwears is water resistant and does provide limited protection from water.

Quadjunkie
01-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Sorry for the lack of clarity. What I mean is this, I run my quad without the airbox lid. I know that there are other kits that allow you to remove the airbox completely like one of you said.

The question is, what is the function of the snorkel? I never hear of people removing both it and the lid. Is one better than the other, or would having both removed be beneficial?

hornetgod13
01-03-2007, 08:53 PM
If you're going to run with the lid off than the snorkel is not needed. Removing it is merely for weight saving (not much). With the lid installed it provides the much needed air to the air box. It's very narrow in diameter and provides limited air flow to the carb. I like to open it up and let the motor breath. I like to compare the snorkel's air flow to drinking a soda through a coffee straw. You are restricting what your motor can do.

JOEX
01-03-2007, 09:44 PM
If the snorkel is removed a cap from most 'rattle cans'* will plug the hole nicely:) Choice of color too!

*A rattle can is usually refered to a spray paint can but many similar style can caps will work.

04exking
01-03-2007, 10:15 PM
I took mine off because I am Just looking for a clean look even when you take the seat and rear fender off. If you have the cash in the future I would go with an aluminum airbox.

hornetgod13
01-03-2007, 11:32 PM
NAC'S Snorkel Plug. Uses existing band clamp to safely secure it. Aluminum with engraved logo. $9.99 at NAC's Racing. Here's a picture.

HondaEXrider22
01-04-2007, 04:47 AM
Cant see spending 10 bucks on a plug when a spray paint can will make a perfect fit.

01-04-2007, 05:15 AM
I've gotten rid of ALL the snorkels on all the quads I've owned.

For my EX, I'm going with a K&N with outerwears, the UM airbox, and a outerwears-type screen cover for the airbox.

Power comes from the ability of the motor to breathe. Snorkels choke airflow.

Its prolly the single best $ for $ power increase you can get.

hornetgod13
01-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by HondaEXrider22
Cant see spending 10 bucks on a plug when a spray paint can will make a perfect fit.

Well I have too much time and money spent on my 400EX to just slap a plactic cap to a spray paint can on it. I've got a ton of pride in the way it looks and a rattle can lid would be the ghetto way out. The NAC'S Plug was only 10 bucks, it's aluminum, and it's not falling off. To each his own I guess.

dariusld
01-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
rattle can lid would be the ghetto way out.

My ghetto lid sits flush. You can't even tell its a cap. And you don't even see it anyway. What a waste of $10, even if you have money to burn.

hornetgod13
01-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Like I said before. "To each his own" A waste in your book not in mine.

Quadjunkie
01-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Anybody have a pic of the snorkel for me so I know what to cap off? Or a description would work.

hornetgod13
01-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Item 14 in the diagram is the snorkel. If you run with the air box lid off you can remove the snorkel. It's a good idea to plug the hole in air box where the snorkel went to keep debris from flying in kicked up by the tire.