PDA

View Full Version : cam worth it?

400exridin121
01-02-2007, 07:50 PM
ok ive had my 400ex for about a month now, maybe had 5 hours or so on it, and ive gotten used to the speed. I want to go faster. Im thinkin maybe a cam. i dont wont to pay alot for the bore kits, i think ill get a cam and a uni filter for starts.would that make a noticable difference in top speed? About how much fastercan i expect to go?

Thanks

northwest Texas
01-02-2007, 08:05 PM
You have to change gearing to affect top speed. A cam and air filter will help get you there quicker but won't increase top speed.

400exridin121
01-02-2007, 08:19 PM
exacxtly how do i do that?

flauge
01-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Go up a tooth on the front sprocket, or go a couple down in the back. Either one will add a lil top speed.
I'd say get a hotcam stg1, pipe, filter and jet it. That oughta help you pull the taller gearing :cool:

400exridin121
01-02-2007, 08:27 PM
oh i knew about the sprokets, didnt know they were called gears to, but would a hotcam stage 2 be better since i mainly feild ride?

northwest Texas
01-02-2007, 08:51 PM
If you're wanting to gear it for more top speed you're engine may feel more underpowered because that's not where it's strength is.

If you really want more power, the first thing(s) to do are a better air filter and a slip on exhaust (just muffler, not header pipe)

After that, unless you only ride flat ground, better shocks will help you go faster.

I've seen all kinds of different answers with the cams. According to Hot Cams, you should probably go with a Stage 1 unless you're going to do many more mods to the engine.

flauge
01-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Yea stg1 would be best if you dont plan on adding a hi comp piston. You wont lose any low end like you would with a stg 2. I just put a stg1 in mine a couple weeks ago and it made a nice difference. Not only on bottom, but a good bit in the mid and top too. its really an all around cam.