PDA

View Full Version : jetting problems

brettg
01-02-2007, 06:38 PM
i have a 2000 300ex with a wb e-series slip on jsut got a K&N air filter and bought a dyno jet kit for. I bot the kit hoping to gain some extra balls for my machine and wanted to fix the backfiring and to get the full performance from the filter n e-series......my problem is that i took apart the carb n put the 118 main in because thats wat was recommmened ........when i went to styart it...it it only ran good while the choke was open......when u take it offf it kind of sputters......i think i forgot to put the needle in and set the clip to the right sport and i didn't fiz the fuel air screw.........im under 1000 feet elevation and i was wondeirnf if i adjusted the needle and the screw if i would be running fine.........also is their an easier way to adjust al this without taking eveyrthing offf................and if there is where is the oil filter on this?.........any help would be appreciated

400eXr1d3rZ
01-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Did you use the dynojet adapter? When you take it back apart, the main jet will probably be off the needle/jet holder if you didn't use the adapter. Same thing happened to me.

brettg
01-02-2007, 07:00 PM
yah i took ou tthe old main jet n screw the new one into the adaparter n screwed the adapter back into where it goes n then i ahd the problem.......is there an easier way to start it up....liek do i have to put everything back together to check it its gonna work n run right

400eXr1d3rZ
01-02-2007, 07:11 PM
It's probably two rich, go down about 2 sizes, if you want to have a easier start you need a bigger slow jet (or pilot). Go up about 4 sizes on the slow jet.

EDIT: You said it only runs good with the choke partially on? Then it's lean, go up about two sizes. Less air, more fuel = rich, less fuel, more air = lean.

I have to take a minute to think about this, i'm confusing myself :blah: .

Okay, I got it, when the choke is on, it's block the air flow, and making more fuel go into the engine, it changing the air to fuel ratio...now if it only runs good when you have less air, then I think you're lean, because when you're lean you have alot of air, and not enough fuel...so go up about two sizes.

brettg
01-02-2007, 07:15 PM
do u think it ahs anything to do with me not changing the clip on the needle and adjusting the fuel air screw?

400eXr1d3rZ
01-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by brettg
do u think it ahs anything to do with me not changing the clip on the needle and adjusting the fuel air screw?

Not really, the needle is only for fine tuning, it only messes with from 1/8 throttle to 1/4 i believe. You could mess with the fuel screw, richen it up a bit by turning it out 2 and 3/4 turns out from lightly seated.

I edited my previous post, check it out.

brettg
01-02-2007, 07:22 PM
yah i called dynojet and they said move the clip to 4th groove n said 2 n 3/4 turns on the screw and it would be goood...i tihnk im gonna try the turns first see hwo it runs n then if not then ill switch the main n see wut happens....could i do the fuel screw and mianjet without disassembling the wholw bike?......

thanks for all ur help too:)

oo and it runs fine with the choke fully outt i dont now if i said partially but when its fully out ti runs perfect with no backfiring and idles good

400eXr1d3rZ
01-02-2007, 07:36 PM
I believe there is a 17mm cap on the bottom of the carb, inside contains the main jet, adapter, and jet/needle holder. Although I think it's alot easier just talking the bowl off. I don't have a 300ex so im not sure about the cap on the bottom of the carb, anyway, good luck.

brettg
01-02-2007, 07:39 PM
yah i jsut checked and it does ahve the cap but im not sure if the fuel screw will b accessbile ...thanks for the help tho