PDA

View Full Version : Airstryker jetting??

screaminta
01-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Ok I havent been riding in a long time because of a new job, and the last mod I did to my R was a 38mm A/S. I never had a chance to correctly jet it with plug chops. Right now I am witha 52 pilot, ddj needle in the middle, and a 170 main. I went ridind this weekend, most tight trails, and ended up fouling two plugs in one day!!! I am afraid to drop the needle down a notch, even though the plugs are wet fouled. Do you guys think that this would be safe to ride again, until I can plug chop it from main down? thanks
BTW I am running a 52 pilot cause with a 55, I was more than 3 turns out when tuning the idle-1/8 throttle. Thanks again

Dave83
01-02-2007, 05:50 PM
What bore and altitude?

2StrokeGod
01-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Try a 50 pilot and a cel needle in the middle.

screaminta
01-02-2007, 07:14 PM
altitude ranges from just over sea level to about 1700 ft if i had to guess, 66.5mm bore.
I do not want to go lower on the pilot cause I actually just forgot to write that i think its a little lean in the pilot right now, When I apply the choke it doesnt die, it actully just starts to reve very high which makes me believe that its a little lean on the pilot. the air screw is about 1-1/4 turns out right now. I was sketchy to go to the cel needle because of the amount the it is leaner, plus just for now would I be ok dropping the needle to the 2nd clip? thanks.

86250rrider
01-02-2007, 08:03 PM
im running an 38a/s with whatever pilot comes from esr. 182 main at 1800 feet,middle position on clip ,1.5 turns.very crisp..plug looks like coffee with cream.it has been ported. hope this helps

Dave83
01-02-2007, 08:06 PM
170 is pretty fat for a stock cylinder.I run a 170 on my 310 with a 50 pilot.Go to the 50 pilot and about 158-160 on the main.You may possibly have an air leak somewhere.

screaminta
01-03-2007, 10:03 AM
I was running up to a 165 in the winters with the stock carb, and I would not want to go leaner with the pilot because of the way it acts with the choke on. Also, if I had an air leak I would be running really lean, therefore not fouling plugs correct? Is this how I should be thinking or is it wrong? I know I should really do some plug chops, but I dont have a long enough stretch to actually do them around my house, and when I leave my house I'm pretty much gonna be riding. thanks again

C-LEIGH RACING
01-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Whats the engines compression.
If your compression is low the engine cant burn the fuel.
A 170 main shouldnt be to big for your engine if the compressions the right amount.
Neil

screaminta
01-03-2007, 03:26 PM
I actually put a cr gasket in and the compression was about 185-190 ish when i first put it in. I wouldnt think it dropped much if any at all. I am still running 94 sunoco premium and shes not pinging at all.

screaminta
01-04-2007, 10:30 AM
I dont think Im too big on the main at all, would you guys recommend me drop the needle a notch and see? Or go to a whole new needle like a cel. I do have the stock needle, but there arent any letters on it just numbers. Anyone know what the stock needle is?

screaminta
01-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Ok, I ordered a cel and a cej needle today. I know everyone raves about the cel needle, but since i may be lean with the pilot i thought maybe i would try the cej since the affects the 1/8 throttle about with the pilot. Lastly, my buddy wants to ride this weekend and i probably wont get the needles till next week. Should I just move the clip on the needle up for this weekend? I also have the stock needle would that be any help at all? I believe its a dgh or somewhere near that correct?

C-LEIGH RACING
01-05-2007, 10:46 AM
When you change a needle clip setting you are only like fine tuning the main jets fuel supply into the venturi.
From one clip groove to the next is so small of a change you can hardly even tell it.
Moving the clip from one end of the grooves all the way to the other end would only amount to about a 1/8th of what 1 size number change would be in a main jet, say like a 180 main jet, lowering the needle all the way down would be turned into a 179 size or close.
This change is dependant on what letters the needle is, like a DGH needle is smaller than a CEL & will allow more fuel flow up through the needle jet into the venturi, CELs fatter & will restrict more.

Think of the needle as a fine tune when changing clip grooves & a main jet as a big change in fuel delivery when going from one size to the next.
Neil

ChvyCruzen
01-05-2007, 10:48 AM
If you want to go leaner on the needle you want to drop the needle into the carb more - meaning raise the position of the clip.

screaminta
01-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Sorry if it was confusing but my plan for this weekend is the drop the needle (raise the clip) to lean it out a bit. I may try the stock(dgh) cause its a little leaner than the ddj that i have now, and then try the cej or cel that are both a decent amount leaner than the ddj I have. thanks for all the responses..