PDA

View Full Version : ATV Carreers

firefighterjosh
01-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Alright I am 21 Years Old I hate my job and want something diffrent. Preferably something in the ATV field. I put my resume into Klotz but they are down sizing. I am thinking of going ot school for ATV mechanic or maybe try to get into sales. I have the basic plus some advanced ATV skills but I would need to go to college or whatever it is called for it (trade school?) Anways is ther money in this? Also is there any good programs out there?

For example CAT has a nice program were they pay for your school if oyu work for them for I think 2years after college at a smaller pay.

Also what other ATV career choices are there?

Thanks

XCAdam89
01-02-2007, 03:12 PM
I'd like to open up a small shop, or maybe even an indoor motocross track someday on the east coast. I sure as heck know I don't want to work for somebody when I get older.

firefighterjosh
01-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by XCAdam89
I'd like to open up a small shop, or maybe even an indoor motocross track someday on the east coast. I sure as heck know I don't want to work for somebody when I get older.

That would be awesome, something I would like to do. But it takes alot of mone y to do so. 1 step of a time for me. First i just want a job i enjoy that pays decent,

rollie
01-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Same here, i want to learn a skill early, id like to learn how to do shocks or maybe Powdercoat:cool: if the right area, i know theres money but i heard working on them at a dealership isnt the best pay

XCAdam89
01-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by rollie
Same here, i want to learn a skill early, id like to learn how to do shocks or maybe Powdercoat:cool: if the right area, i know theres money but i heard working on them at a dealership isnt the best pay

Maybe, but what about the guy who owns the dealership? That's where I'd like to be someday.

My best advice is find what you like and figure out how to make money with it. I know too many people who like so many things, but work a desk job. It's a waste of potential in my eyes.

Honda#4
01-02-2007, 04:04 PM
I want to go into something with atv's too, but I can't think of anything, I was looking into a small engines class at a college by me but it's way to far for me. I'd like to build fully moded atv's then sell them like some companies do I think, maybe i'd go into powdercoating but I don't think I could get enough customers to make enough money off of. So who knows what i'm gonna do.

MO-EX-RIDER
01-02-2007, 05:42 PM
put that king quad on the podium in the pro class:D its a job/career....sort of? are there any other atv companys/distributors in your area?

gotwarrior
01-02-2007, 05:51 PM
I know the local tech college around here has this new major.. Its called "POWERSPORTS" you go and learn how to work on different kinds of things.. Something to look into.;)

firefighterjosh
01-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by MO-EX-RIDER
put that king quad on the podium in the pro class:D its a job/career....sort of? are there any other atv companys/distributors in your area?

I am going to try but that takes money too lol. I am going to be running a almost stock machine. I will have even stock rims and tires prally for a while.:( PLus lots of traveling costs. I am going to try it this year but look for me in 08;) My firestation is getting built right now with a work out room so I will be there every morining. I am not in great shape right now plus I just got my pratice track done/always working on it.

01-02-2007, 06:43 PM
J/W, what are you gonna race? The WPSA's?

firefighterjosh
01-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
J/W, what are you gonna race? The WPSA's?

Local HS and a few GNCC events. I though of the WPSA too but that is pushing my money.

smokinwrench
01-02-2007, 09:23 PM
I agree it would be great to work on atv's for a living. Might get old and make me hate my hobby after a few years though. I have already switched from race and derby cars because I got tired of working on them.

The local honda dealer mentioned to me about mechanicing for them a few years ago. It was gonna be a loose of $8.00 per hour with no benifits except the use of a shop bike. No way could I ever have the things I own on that kind of pay.

I am a Caterpillar field tech, it pays dang good and I enjoy doing it. It also allows me to buy a few fun toys. Just keep im mind every job has its bad days and good days. Trick is to find a job that has more good then bad days and also pays well enough to enjoy a few fun things in life.

Mickey Dunlap
01-03-2007, 06:49 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by smokinwrench
[B]I agree it would be great to work on atv's for a living. Might get old and make me hate my hobby after a few years though.

This is very true, "some days" I just hate to think about coming to work and building motors, porting heads, dealing with the race team ect, ect. But then I try to think of the guy going to work that hates his job "everyday"!

Architects
01-03-2007, 10:51 AM
I just want to be paid to ride!:) Guess I better get good and FAST!

1fst400
01-03-2007, 11:40 AM
anyone know of an atv tech school in New england area?