View Full Version : Universal Technical Instituite

hondarider2006
01-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Any students in here? I am attending the campus here in Avdondale AZ, take Auto/Diesel/Industrial and Ford FACT. Just wondering if anyone else was in the area...or hell is attending anywhere else in the US!

400EXTRA
01-02-2007, 01:49 PM
my sisters boyfriend attends the one in illinois hes going for diesel

trX250eXmXr28
01-02-2007, 01:52 PM
i start at the UTI campus in Exton PA on august 6th 2007.... i cant wait!!! im taking the full 90 week program + the ford fact and hopefully a dealer specific training for either BMW Porsche or Audi

Stevie-D
01-02-2007, 04:20 PM
please do something with your degree after you earn it! 4 guys i graduated high school with went to the exton branch. after graduating from UTI:
one is working at a gas station, one got fired from a jack williams:huh one works at a butcher shop, and the other is unemployed and burned out on drugs.

hondarider2006
01-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
please do something with your degree after you earn it! 4 guys i graduated high school with went to the exton branch. after graduating from UTI:
one is working at a gas station, one got fired from a jack williams:huh one works at a butcher shop, and the other is unemployed and burned out on drugs.

thats funny you say somthing like that...I know a couple of UTI grads back home...one works at KFC...and the other is a salesman at a snowmobile joint...after he got fired from 3 different shops...

Aceman
01-02-2007, 11:08 PM
I was looking into UTI back in high school. All I remember is having to meet with the UTI admissions person that comes to your house and he kept saying "so your parents will be able to help you with your tuition, right?" Seemed like it cost upwards of 30k, is it still that high? I think that was for 2 programs however, maybe auto/diesel?

quadracer707
01-03-2007, 05:18 AM
My son is going to the MMI in Orlando, Fla. It is the Motorcycle, Atv version of UTI. He will start in Nov. of this year. Lucky fellow warm all year long while me & mom will be stuck in PA. 90% of grads get good jobs. Like any other school if you dont take advantage of your education, you can work at any stupid job.
Good luck guys going to a trade school, there is pleny of work out there.

trX250eXmXr28
01-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
I was looking into UTI back in high school. All I remember is having to meet with the UTI admissions person that comes to your house and he kept saying "so your parents will be able to help you with your tuition, right?" Seemed like it cost upwards of 30k, is it still that high? I think that was for 2 programs however, maybe auto/diesel?

yea its still that high.. mine costs 36,400 for the whole 90 weeks ( year and a half)

honda250xrider
01-03-2007, 01:14 PM
I was very close to attending but after talking to the counsler that comes out, it more or less seamed like a jail, He had many requirements for himself that weren't nessaceraly the schools. could never dip below an A or you would have to retake the course, no facial hair, random house searches to inspect, i think 20 hours extra circ. activities he wanted. along with quite a few other things, this pretty much drove me away from attending.

hondarider2006
01-03-2007, 10:06 PM
I think I am paying over 35k...it is ****ing crazy expensive..and yeah I am taking the auto/diesel and ford fact...they are proud of their money that is for sure...sometimes I wish I wasn't attending...but most of the time I am more then happy I am going. Just sooo much **** has gone wrong, its a long *** drive down here from AK..that is all I have to say:)

honda250xrider
01-04-2007, 05:45 AM
I must ask hondarider2006 is there any conditions that you have to do to be able to go to this school? Such as a few i listed up above. They at least the counsler made me turn away from that school fast.

TRX_450
01-04-2007, 06:18 AM
one of my good friends graduated from the AZ UTI like 3 years ago and came back here and had no trouble finding a job...worked ehre for 3 months then moved to lincoln, NE and got a job with starting pay at $52,000 a year

hondarider2006
01-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by honda250xrider
I was very close to attending but after talking to the counsler that comes out, it more or less seamed like a jail, He had many requirements for himself that weren't nessaceraly the schools. could never dip below an A or you would have to retake the course, no facial hair, random house searches to inspect, i think 20 hours extra circ. activities he wanted. along with quite a few other things, this pretty much drove me away from attending.

I think that guy was smokin crack bro...I think you have to have a 90% average to graduate...or 90% attendance, 1 of the 2. No bull**** "house checks" I mean the school doesn't even know where I live? and 20 hours extra circ. activities...I have NO idea how in the hell they would expect you to do that...I work 7-1 and school 2 - 8:15, so yeah like I said, I have no idea how they would expect you to do that....The facial hair isn't really an issue...although you have to be clean and look "professional"

They do have some bull**** rules...I mean I backed into a parking spot and got a "illegal parking violation" sticker on my window last night, and next time it will get towed. Pretty lame eh? Its the stupid **** like that, that gets on my nerves...

honda250xrider
01-04-2007, 12:46 PM
i've read some of the school's policy's, the counsler i was talking to told me directly that If i would dip below and A or miss so many min. of allowed during the classes i would have to retake that class before i could move on to the next course. He was very serious and holds his kids up and beyond what is expected from the school, and yes he told me look to be in school around 80-90 hours with the extra circ. and then on top of that work... so many other things i could list on and on that he wanted. I had to call him every time i would miss class and he wanted me to call once a week to check in on how i was doing. I just couldn't take someone pratically trying to run my life. But pretty much that was the end of the line for me. I would of loved to go but do to his own personal rules he had i will not would not attend. I personally think it is unright for himself to think that checking my apartment house that i would be living in is any business of his. I dunno i just wasnt satisfied with the counsler that i talked to. I hope he had a good trip back to his house drove a lil over 150mile to tell me all this in person.

400grl
01-04-2007, 02:12 PM
My husband and his brother both went to UTI - worked on the Ferrari race team as pit crew, graduated, then Ferrari and Porsche fought over them to get them to come work for them. They were excellent, top of their school students, and they had the pick of pretty much anywhere they wanted to work.

If you go to UTI, you have to love cars/trucks, have to love working with your hands, and have to know what you are doing mechanically to be successful at it. Once you graduate, and you go into a dealership (if you are lucky!) you have to know how to bust *** and work whatever system your dealer has in place for time/pay - you also have to know how to work well with other technicians.......if you can do these things, you can make excellent money, and enjoy where you work. If you can't, you either won't last very long in the industry, or you will barely get by making 70 hours a week........

It's FAR too much money to go to a school like that if you aren't 100% commited to that type of a career......

AtvMxRider
01-04-2007, 06:36 PM
The reason why alot of people come out of schools like that and don't last is because the schools make it look so cool. It's easy working on a part sitting on a table or in a classroom but when you get to a real shop things are not that nice and clean and easy to work on. I have known several people that have went to UTI and the Nashville deisel college and I wouldn't give 10 cents for any of them.

hondarider2006
01-06-2007, 05:05 PM
I would say about...half of the people that come out of this school actually get something out it. Just the other the some kids in class did a brake job on a kids care, and put the brake pads on backwards. I mean come on...I think to many people watch the **** they play on TV and believe they will be the smartest person in the world making 100k+ a year if they attend this school...well sorry, but their full of ****. The school is good, but like said in this thread, if your not commited, your wasting you time and money.