PDA

View Full Version : banshee probelms

harry64chevy
01-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Just bought a 99 banshee off of ebay for $1700 not a bad deal so i thought. Picked it up and throttle lever is stuck guy kept bike outside so i guess the cable froze inside, so i bs the guy and got the bike for $1500! Now i am really syked cause i got a great deal. So i thought again. Replaced cable and bike seemed to run ok when i would finally get it started (would take about 20-30 kicks to get this thing started) but it wouldnt idle at all. You would have to stay on gas to keep it runnung. Friday i threw 2 new plugs in it cleaned the air filter real good and finally got it started and took it out for approx. 5 mins of riding just made it back and it stalled pulling up to my house. When i tryed to start it again the kick starter was locked. I have had alot of other quads while growing up but never came across this problem. Did it blow up??? I ordered a cylmers to start going over it. But its just driving me nuts thinking about it. I know its kinda hard to diagnose something like this but has anyone ever had this happen? thanx for any help!

ALLUWANT
01-02-2007, 12:07 PM
get it in gear and roll it see if motor locked up or gear broke on kick starter. if wont turn over in gear then motor locked most likey. i have seen those gears break and get caught and lock up

harry64chevy
01-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanx i will try that anybody else have any more suggestions????

if motor did lock up how much are the parts gonna be for me to replace? and where is the best place to get them? ebay?? dennis kirk?? thanx all for help

2muchquad
01-02-2007, 12:53 PM
ebay,dennis kirk is way high.i can guarantee you'll most likely need a top end,hard starting is a tell tale sign of worh piston/rings.where you at in pa?

harry64chevy
01-02-2007, 03:21 PM
phoenixville pa....approx 45 mins outside of phila

firefighterjosh
01-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Take you read cages off and your exhaulst you should be able to look inside and see if the pistons look all scrapped up.

If it needs a new topend I suggest Vitos forged pistons. Mine have lasted 3 years with alot of hours and have been beat on pretty good. I have over heated it twice were all the coolant has been evaporated out and it still kicking today:)

harry64chevy
01-02-2007, 05:08 PM
i see on ebay they have alot of different mm piston kits. I dont know anything about this. This is gonna pretty much be my first rebuild. What do yous suggest i do. Should i get a rejet kit also and rebuild the carbs when i do the motor? .040 mm .030mm what do all these sizes mean? what size do i need?

firefighterjosh
01-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by harry64chevy
i see on ebay they have alot of different mm piston kits. I dont know anything about this. This is gonna pretty much be my first rebuild. What do yous suggest i do. Should i get a rejet kit also and rebuild the carbs when i do the motor? .040 mm .030mm what do all these sizes mean? what size do i need?

MM stand for milimeters. Its how much bigger the piston is. I went 40 over whick means .040mm.

You have to buy the piston then have them bored to what the true specs of each piston is. I would tear it down first cuz if the piston really did a number on the sleeve you might have to have a new sleeve too. PLus you do not know how many times it has been rebuilt already.

Toadz400
01-03-2007, 07:25 PM
I would dig into the lower end and make sure everything else is in top notch condition otherwise I would go for a full engine rebuild. It's not worth it to rebuild your entire top end only to have the bottom end let go on you. Banshee's need to be in perfect running condition to be reliable, if anything is wrong with them they will never last long. Read over that manual, get yourself some good tools and dig in.