PDA

View Full Version : 06 z oil pan

bountyhunter01
01-02-2007, 09:40 AM
I striped the drain plug and now a small puddle on the ground about the size of a dime has formed. What to do?? Repair or buy New??

montycarlo
01-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Yikes. Hard to recommend something from here w/o looking at it.

I would kind of lightly recommend a steel helicoil thread insert if you can be sure you're not getting metal filings upstairs. That would fix it good without replacing parts but obviously stray metal filings would be bad.

Will the plug (or a new one) tighten firmly enough that some RTV silicone will seal the drips?

http://www.bluetraxx.com/phpBB/images/smiles/shrug.gif

jonboy
01-02-2007, 09:24 PM
First check and see if the plug threads are stripped or if the case threads are stripped. If it is just the plug then replace it and, dont gorilla torque it. Most plugs are made of a soft steel with thin threads so it will strip before the case threads if this is not the case then you may have to clean up the threads of the case and possibly put in an oversized plug. If not then yes you probably will have to install a helicoil.

bountyhunter01
01-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Thank you very much guys. I will take more of a look and get back to ya with pics .

Villageidiott23
01-04-2007, 12:59 PM
your in luck. dude, i ordered parts to put the cert in. it sounds bad though. we gotta drill the case put the threaded cert in with lock tite and then get a new plug. im doin mine on sat. so i can let you know how it goes if ya want. and where, what i bought the stuff to do it. i tried to rethread and put a bigger plug but it didnt work so this is last resort for me. im just courious where i can find a plug like the stock one with that tapered washer on it. cuz the only thing i can find is a plug that fits with a washer that goes on the bolt. will that work??? anyone

bountyhunter01
01-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Villageidiott23
your in luck. dude, i ordered parts to put the cert in. it sounds bad though. we gotta drill the case put the threaded cert in with lock tite and then get a new plug. im doin mine on sat. so i can let you know how it goes if ya want. and where, what i bought the stuff to do it. i tried to rethread and put a bigger plug but it didnt work so this is last resort for me. im just courious where i can find a plug like the stock one with that tapered washer on it. cuz the only thing i can find is a plug that fits with a washer that goes on the bolt. will that work??? anyone

Right on man PLEASE let me know how it turned out. Pics if possible I just pulled the bolt out and it surly is the threads on the pan not the bolt. :-(

Villageidiott23
01-05-2007, 01:09 PM
yeah, its pretty stupid the shop that did work on mine last put that sucker in tight as hell so when i tried to get it out it was already stripped and i just had to back it out. but yeah ill let you know what you need. fyi. the rethreading that i did didnt work at all so i wouldnt waste time doin it. if you want a sure fix just put the time cert in... im still wondering where i can get a bolt like the factory one with the tapered washer on it. i cant find them anywhere. i guess ill try it with a regular bolt and fit with a copper washer or maybe nylon. whatever. anyone know where i can find one.

Villageidiott23
01-08-2007, 01:09 PM
just alil update 4ya the tap didnt come in on sat so im checking the mail for it today. mite try and get it done 2nite b4 it snows and gets cold tom.....