PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joint Bind

ZSK
01-02-2007, 06:28 AM
While cycling my front suspension, with the shocks removed, it seems that I'm only getting about 8" of wheel travel. Down travel is only about an inch from where the shocks bolt up. I have yet to cycle it with the shocks installed but will be pulling my springs off tonight and cycling the suspension again.

Does this seem normal? My YFZ seems like it has 10-12" of wheel travel with the shocks removed.

This is an 86 250R with JB +2 A's.

C-LEIGH RACING
01-02-2007, 07:01 AM
Your probably extending the a arms down farther than they will travel with the shocks bolted up, ball joints do have a limit of movement though, keep that in mind.
Neil

ZSK
01-02-2007, 07:36 AM
The A-arms will travel about an inch farther down without the shocks installed versus with the shocks installed. I'm more concerned about the lack of up travel. I don't want the ball joints to bind before the shock bottoms out.

C-LEIGH RACING
01-02-2007, 08:00 AM
I can understand your thinking, its bad news if you break a ball joint on a landing.
Might be that the angle of the joint mount is angled up to much causing a bind or could just be the design of the a arms thinking the worst of both evils.
Which place would you want a ball joint to break, after the jump while in the air & the shock is extending or after you land & then it break. Of course not at all.
Might do well to check & see if those are the right ball joint for those arms, easy to get things mixed matched when in a hurry.
Neil