PDA

View Full Version : Shock question.....

T-R-X
09-20-2002, 10:33 PM
I recently blew the seals on my rear Axis shock(standard travel, single rate spring, for a 250r. I noticed when i took my rear shock off, someone not me, set the rebound to the slowest position. So would this have caused the seals to go? My main question is if i do want a slower rebound, should i increase the preload? lessing the compression? or vice versa- if i want a fast rebound, should i stiffen the compression? Im just a little confused here, i have read my manuels, but not getting much out of them.Any help would be appreciated.
thanks

Mxbubs
09-20-2002, 11:11 PM
If the shock is set too soft, soft compression, no preload and slow rebound, the shock will "pack up" meaning everytime you hit a bump or jump, your shock compresses and before it has time to decompress you hit another bump and they compress even more, before you know your shock has no travel left and your shock is "packed up". I like my compression set on 8 on a 1-8 setting, and my rebound set on 4 or so, with mild spring preload. I dont have to set my rebound fast, because the stiffly set compression will retard the shock from packing up.

T-R-X
09-21-2002, 12:46 PM
ive been running a softer compression all season(around 6) and a faster rebound, because i find it works great at southwick, but will having incorrect settings bloew seals- just wondering
thanks