PDA

View Full Version : 05 450R sputters in water

Pacer
01-01-2007, 08:43 PM
After running through water my 450R starts sputtering and missing, it will Idle, but when I try to rev it it dies or backfires and won't rev up. I'm not running it through deep water, just a few inches that sits on the trails in spots. When It started running bad, I checked the airbox, there was a little bit of mud splashed in it, but the filter wasn't wet. It didn't stop for over 10 minutes. It backfires, has no power and won't rev over 1/4 throttle. It's not getting on the spark plug boot. Where could I be getting water that would make it do this? I've had a waterbox full on my 400ex and it ran fine after I dried it out. The 450R runs bad for a lot longer.

Thanks

JW450R1
01-02-2007, 05:43 AM
i went threw a water puddle on the mx track with 04 450r and some-how came up with the same issues.top end missing,back-fireing,running poor.finally by the end of the day it completely died.my rev box went bad.at first i check for spark and i had it.by the end of the day no spark.can u borrow a rev box to compare from a freind or somthing

red2004 TRX450R
01-02-2007, 08:56 AM
mine runs fine in the water!
did you mess with the wiring or intake.
check over the intake and see if there are any leaks then check over the wiring.
and check and see if there is water in you steering stem what will block the breather hose off.
you could try taking a hose to parts of the bike to see what area is effected by water.

rescue6
01-02-2007, 11:59 AM
I use dielectric grease in all of my electrical connectors to prevent any water related electrical problems been doing it for years on all of the toys and have never had a problem since I started doing this

Pacer
01-02-2007, 07:59 PM
rev box? Is that what your calling the ignition? This has happened twice and it only quit after I let it sit for 30 or 40 min. I'll go through all the electronics. Anything else I should look at?

Thanks for the help.

JW450R1
01-03-2007, 03:51 PM
yes its the black box on-top of the upper shock bolts.its surrounded in a rubber gromet.maybe try using a garden hose little by little to use it as prosess of eleminuation..

DJJ450r
01-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by rescue6
I use dielectric grease in all of my electrical connectors to prevent any water related electrical problems been doing it for years on all of the toys and have never had a problem since I started doing this I did that on mine and it still did it a little but not as bad as these guys, it turned out to be my UNI filter letting water through, I put my stock one on and its fine. But if you havent I'd try using dielectric grease:macho

ajr400ex
01-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Dielectric grease on electrical connections, use a good waterproof oil on the airfilter. I have had good luck with Klotz, Bell Ray, and PJ1. Make sure your steering stem is not filling up with water when you wash it. I found you have to stand it on end after washing and let the stem drain out. The vent hose for the gas tank is long and will suck water in from the stem. Took me a while to figure this one out. No issues since I found this. Clean out he gas tank and carb so you know that is not the issue. I run the HRC lid on the airbox and have no issues with water now.

Pacer
01-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the tips. It's not acting like water going through the intake because I think it would clear up quicker. I'm not going to rule that out though. My 400 would clear up quicker after being completely flooded.

Thanks

Pacer
01-06-2007, 09:14 PM
It happened again today. It ran fine for over an hour while a friend of mine was riding it. I was following him on my bike. He was taking it easy but going through a good bit of water. I jumped on it, hammered the throttle and jumped a small hill and then it started running bad. It didn't have any signs of water in the airbox so if it is getting into the engine its coming from somewhere else. It wouldn't rev up and it would backfire, if I gave it more than 1/4 throtle it would die. It would run better on choke, so I rode it easy for about 10 min and it started running fine again I took it off of choke and hit a rough section, then it started running bad again. If I take it easy it will run ok but as soon as I am rough with it it starts running bad. I drained the carb, and the tank and didn't find any water or trash. I'm going to pull the carb apart tomorrow. I'm thinking its fuel because it would run better on choke.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help

outlaw450r
01-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Mine did this once and it had a small piece of black plastic stuck in the main jet. Looked like it came from the tank.