PDA

View Full Version : Seperating ball joints from brake

rlplive
01-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Hey guy's I am in the process of putting on my new houser a arms. I'll be danged if I can't get the ball joints off the spindle, I think thats what it's called. My buddy just used a punch and tapped his off but mine aren't comin off that easy. I already tried usin a hammer with the nut on and it spun off and kinda jacked up the top of the bolt.
I guess I need a ball joint puller? Anyway to get to the point any advice would be much appreciated
Ryan

mrnate400ex
01-01-2007, 05:20 PM
it's kind of tricky. when i took mine off of my 400ex i just flipped the nut around and put a long socket between there and backed the nut back off. the pressure popped them out. that's how i did it in a non technical sense.

01-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Pound on the spindle with a big hammer. NOT the ball joint. If you hit the spindle from the side it will pop right out.

rlplive
01-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
Pound on the spindle with a big hammer. NOT the ball joint. If you hit the spindle from the side it will pop right out.
ok I am gonna give it a shot

cdrookie
01-01-2007, 05:39 PM
go to the auto parts store and get an automotive tie rod end seperator, about $15. stick it between the spindle and the arm, then smack it with a hammer.

rlplive
01-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by cdrookie
go to the auto parts store and get an automotive tie rod end seperator, about $15. stick it between the spindle and the arm, then smack it with a hammer.
Went and bought one and the right side popped right off, the left side is bein a pain in the *** though

rlplive
01-01-2007, 06:56 PM
got it thanks guys

honda350r
01-02-2007, 06:23 PM

And now you have just ruined the ball joint boot !!

The only way is to smack the side of the spindle!

rlplive
01-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by honda350r

Hell I didn't give a crap, I used the grease out of the old ones for my new ones

JR3
01-02-2007, 07:20 PM
To get the ball joint out of the spindle. Get a friend and two regular hammers. Hold the a arm up[ and have you hit 1 side and your friend hit the opposite side should fall right out. Usually works for all of us.

Aceman
01-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by rlplive
Hell I didn't give a crap, I used the grease out of the old ones for my new ones

It just baffles me, people spend several hundred on new arms but can't spend 5 bucks on new grease??:huh

JR3
01-03-2007, 03:38 AM

yea thats uh nothing to boast about.:ermm:

cdrookie
01-03-2007, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by honda350r

BS! i've done it like that more times than i can remember.
throw some wd40 on the fork if you think it'll rip the boot. beating the spindle(or arm) is the absolute worst advise you can give someone. harbor freight and probably jc witney have some handy dandy ball joint seperators that screw up against the arm and work great but sometimes you don't want to wait for them to get there. beating on a cast(aluminum!) spindle is trouble waiting to happen.

rlplive
01-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
It just baffles me, people spend several hundred on new arms but can't spend 5 bucks on new grease??:huh
Ok listen guys, sorry to baffle you I guess you just need to get your 2 cents in. Ya there was some grease in the boot that was clean, and I didn't have any grease on hand so I used what I had to grease a few washers. I hope you don't think I somehow used the grease to grease the zirks. I asked a simple question about how to get the ball joints off the spindle not what you thought
about my greasing methods. I am not too much of a tight *** to buy grease.

rlplive
01-03-2007, 01:03 PM
BS! i've done it like that more times than i can remember.
throw some wd40 on the fork if you think it'll rip the boot. beating the spindle(or arm) is the absolute worst advise you can give someone. harbor freight and probably jc witney have some handy dandy ball joint seperators that screw up against the arm and work great but sometimes you don't want to wait for them to get there. beating on a cast(aluminum!) spindle is trouble waiting to happen.
exactly my point man, I beat on it a little bit with a rubber mallet but a hammer will dent the hell out of it. You are right about not wanting to sit around and wait on stuff as well.

rlplive
01-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by JR3
yea thats uh nothing to boast about.:ermm:
I wasn't boasting just stating fact. Sorry to let you down

JR3
01-03-2007, 03:50 PM
I wasn't boasting just stating fact. Sorry to let you down

well you did im crushed.:(

rlplive
01-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by JR3
well you did im crushed.:(
will it cheer you up when my a arms fail because of my bad greasing habits? Hey is it bad to use bailing wire instead of bolts to hold a arms on?

JR3
01-03-2007, 04:15 PM
will it cheer you up when my a arms fail because of my bad greasing habits? Hey is it bad to use bailing wire instead of bolts to hold a arms on?

no it saves weight thats what i did to all the bolts on my quad i used bailing wire instead of bolts its saves like 10 pounds and then i used old grease to grease everything because i figured the old grease was already broke in

rlplive
01-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by JR3
no it saves weight thats what i did to all the bolts on my quad i used bailing wire instead of bolts its saves like 10 pounds and then i used old grease to grease everything because i figured the old grease was already broke in
Yea me too, the hardest part was gettin the old grease back in the grease gun, I also used a little motor oil from my oil drain pan

JR3
01-03-2007, 04:22 PM
why waste good oil like that lubin a grease gun i use that old oil in my quad again.

rlplive
01-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by JR3
why waste good oil like that lubin a grease gun i use that old oil in my quad again.
Dang you got me there

86Rryder
01-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Man...jr3. You are such a smart guy. If everyone on here was as smart as you, this website would be wonderful. I'm going to be putting arms on mine soon also. So, I will be sure to ask you if I'm doing things the correct way! He made a simple post. Morons like you always have to put you laim 2 sense in. And you don't know jack! Get a life you piece if ****!!!!

N300exJ
01-03-2007, 05:25 PM
LOl this is just to funny. Yeah dont mind JR its just a NJ thing. My houser +2 a arms should be in thursday. I spent new years day puttin my houser swingarm on the 450r. Gonna be great to have a quad that handles. takin turns on two wheels and riding wheelies out of em sucks. All thats left for handling is derisi rebuilds, houser steering stem and some flexx bars. :devil:

JR3
01-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by 86Rryder
Man...jr3. You are such a smart guy. If everyone on here was as smart as you, this website would be wonderful. I'm going to be putting arms on mine soon also. So, I will be sure to ask you if I'm doing things the correct way! He made a simple post. Morons like you always have to put you laim 2 sense in. And you don't know jack! Get a life you piece if ****!!!!

search my name find at least 1 other thread were ive ever done this. He made a simple post I gave him my simple input and what works with me in my expierence. And then i made a comment on how it didnt agree with something he did. Its a internet forum if you get that offended step away from the keyboard.

rlplive
01-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by N300exJ
LOl this is just to funny. Yeah dont mind JR its just a NJ thing. My houser +2 a arms should be in thursday. I spent new years day puttin my houser swingarm on the 450r. Gonna be great to have a quad that handles. takin turns on two wheels and riding wheelies out of em sucks. All thats left for handling is derisi rebuilds, houser steering stem and some flexx bars. :devil:
Be sure to put some pics up with that swinger on, should look sick. You go with black or red?

N300exJ
01-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Everything is blackkkkkkkk. My 450R is all black. and i mean everything. well i do have tiny bit of red. LOL. I also plan on picking up a set of either plus .05 housers or a set of +1 Eyeball engineering a arms for xc use. Im trying to make it easy to switch between mx and xc with not to much time changin parts. I want to get a Leager axle cause they go from stock width to +3. So pretty much i can leave the back end for mx and xc. Its just the front i need to tweek for each setup. theres no way i can race xc with +2 a arms.

rlplive
01-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Everything is blackkkkkkkk. My 450R is all black. and i mean everything. well i do have tiny bit of red. LOL. I also plan on picking up a set of either plus .05 housers or a set of +1 Eyeball engineering a arms for xc use. Im trying to make it easy to switch between mx and xc with not to much time changin parts. I want to get a Leager axle cause they go from stock width to +3. So pretty much i can leave the back end for mx and xc. Its just the front i need to tweek for each setup. theres no way i can race xc with +2 a arms.
Ya thats kinda the way I went with my setup, went with the xcr03s so I can ride xc or a lil mx. You def cant hit the woods with +2's you would get hung up on everything. Mine used to be all black but now it's black white and red. I just get sick of one thing and switch to another

86Rryder
01-03-2007, 06:30 PM
He really just saw mine! Liked the white so much he had to have it..LOL. Got some hermann racing +1 arms, and a +1 1/4 swinger and stem on order today ry dog. All red. So we dont have twins! Whats the diff on the stabilizers? elka to precision?

N300exJ
01-03-2007, 06:34 PM
the precision unit and the elka system 3 are similar. I was told by an elka rep that the system 5 unit isnt needed for the average rider. The system 3 is more than enough. (well than why do the offer a system 5 unit with more adjustments than? LOL)

86Rryder
01-03-2007, 06:37 PM
yeah no kidding..thanks for the info. Both of my buddies got them. So, I guess I will just go off of how they seem to perform for them.

rlplive
01-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by 86Rryder
yeah no kidding..thanks for the info. Both of my buddies got them. So, I guess I will just go off of how they seem to perform for them.
you have a link for herman racing, couldn't find it

JR3
01-06-2007, 10:42 AM
the precision unit and the elka system 3 are similar. I was told by an elka rep that the system 5 unit isnt needed for the average rider. The system 3 is more than enough. (well than why do the offer a system 5 unit with more adjustments than? LOL)

Well they offer the system 5 for pro am and pro riders who can make use of that little adjustment that will help them. Also for the poeple who dont min d throwing money aroun d and spending time tuning it in. you get yout houser **** yet bro