PDA

View Full Version : mechanical engineers to be?

450robot
01-01-2007, 04:27 PM
for anyone taking their major in mechanical engineering, i have a few short questions for you guys

what all is involved in your studies?

what type of hands on, or computer work do you do?

i know there is alot of work involved in this field, how many hours of your day are devoted to your studies, and how much out of class work is given?

and lastly (i think), what are you class schedules like?

thanks for the help guys

Sjorge450R
01-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by 450robot
for anyone taking their major in mechanical engineering, i have a few short questions for you guys

what all is involved in your studies?

what type of hands on, or computer work do you do?

i know there is alot of work involved in this field, how many hours of your day are devoted to your studies, and how much out of class work is given?

and lastly (i think), what are you class schedules like?

thanks for the help guys

i'd like to know the same thing. I am almost 17 and I need to start thinking about what I want to major in and this is a possibility

Ralph
01-01-2007, 05:53 PM
I only have one semester of mechanical engineering under my belt. So far its hard. I passed all my classes, got pretty close to failing on 2 of em.

Your gonna be doing alot of work but if it is what you are interested in doing then you will enjoy it.

To me it seems like 80% of the people in my classes who also want to be mechanical engineers should seriously reconsider. It seems like nowadays kids just try doing it because they hear it pays well and their parents probably have alot of influence too.

In one of my classes, which is mostly filled with engineers, about half way through the semester the class had reduced by about a half because most kids werent cut out for it. Probably over 60 out of 160 failed the course half way though and it is a core requirement. I dont know how many failed it at the end. Prob quite a few more.

quad2xtreme
01-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Engineering drop-outs often go into acctg or finance. If they can't hack that, then they go into marketing or communications.

Any engineering degree is extremely difficult and you better be an ace in math...any high school calculus class better be a joke to you.

I am not trying to discourage anyone from striving to meet his/her dreams...just know going into it that it is tough and extremely competitive. Just asking how much studying is involved tells me it might not be for you. These guys live and breathe studying.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

/jon

01-01-2007, 07:30 PM
my friends in it say the math is the hardest part. my friend is quitting now b/c he failed calc 3 four times now.

450robot
01-01-2007, 08:45 PM
thanks for the help guys, maybe if i tell you what i want to do out of schooling you might be able to give me a better choice

i really want to be the person who designs and build aftermarket products, you know, exhausts, chassis, wheels, billet parts, tubing parts, etc. you know, using CADD and CAM to do so (from qa proto. to production)

i thought this was really the path i should take for what i want to do.

after all, i wasnt really sure on what exactly a mech. engineer applies his skills toward

i also slightly looked into itt tech CADD course, but, it didnt seem to have nearly enough of what i wanted

FasstMidnightZ
01-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Glad to see your going threw w/ it Jeremy. Off topic but have you tried using Solid Works? I use that and think its a great program. ;)

400eXr1d3rZ
01-01-2007, 10:17 PM
That's what I wanted to do, but math is my worst subject, History was always fun and easy me for.

YFZ450Ridr
01-01-2007, 10:36 PM
im in a college engineering class right now as a junior in highschool and i like it pretty much. ive thought so much and i think i want to be a mechanical engineer too. i have an A in engineering, chemestry, and algebra, which are from what ive read the basics of engeering.

the only thing i really havent put tons of thought into, is what area of mechanical engineering i want to go into! the list goes on forever. i was thinking designing parts for new cars hitting the road for a big manufacturer or somthing.

yamablaster24
01-01-2007, 11:24 PM
i was considering it until i realized i couldnt hack the math. Also because i realized i could make the same amount of money being an entreprenuer.

01-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by yamablaster24
Also because i realized i could make the same amount of money being an entreprenuer. thats what everyone thinks :ermm:

Jonesy
01-02-2007, 09:32 AM
I am a junior in college, studying for a Mechanical Engineering Technology degree. I did a stint at the University of Loiusville and the whole program is fast paced and hard to keep up with if you don't apply yourself. I slacked off and lost my scholarship, so now I'm at a smaller university that offers a the MET program I mentioned above, but is not ASE certifide. The teachers, school, program structure, degree focus, and your smarts has a great deal to do with how well you will handle the experience.

Right now I'm co-oping as a mechanical engineer with my company, doing new product developement. I am lucky that I can take an idea from a piece of scratch paper, to a CAD drawing, to a prototype and if everything works out to a full production based operation. Whether it be a small revision that saves the company time or money, or a completely new process for a new product, I get to see it all. I really like that I don't just sit in front of computer, typing and drafting all day, but I can go out in the shop and actually build or modify components.

Right now I don't think I'll stay in the industry that I'm in (braided textiles) but hopefully move into an industry related to the motorsports or automobile industry. I'm only 21 and make around 13-14 an hour, which I realize isn't to bad for working part time with going to school, but I hope to make 25+ once I get out. Whether that is realistic or not, I am not sure, so only time will tell.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. In the end that little piece of paper will be worth the time and effort.

Jonesy

sandmanblue
01-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Glad you asked these questions guys. I have a BSME from ASU - 1989.

First off, the courses they start you off with are weed out classes. If you can deal with the math, chemistry, physics and eventually statics and dynamics (really just more applied math), then you are golden. I hated math in high school, so getting my ME degree is ironic. I love math now. I love computers and programs like Excel and design software even more.

Now - the misconception of what ME's do. As an engineer, you need to completely understand drawings of all types. I don't think school prepped me enough for that. PC's have made drawing far easier, but in the beginning, you're going to be drawing detail parts - not entire assemblies or complicated stuff and definitely no designing. You'll need to also know electronics and component parts eventually. The high level math in school is basically there to make you learn how to solve difficult problems. You probably won't be doing too many differential equations on paper once you're out of school. But you do need to know how to apply them if necessary. you'll have plenty of reference material to help you.

If I had a suggestion - it would be to spend a lot of time in front of Pro Engineering, Solidworks, or AutoCAD programs. You'll be doing a lot of computer work as a design engineer. If you like the idea of sitting behind a PC all day, then being a design guy is for you. There are also development engineers that get to take the designs and test them (more hands on and more fun). There are project engineers that sort of manage a program and need to coordinate the design, development, and manufacturing of the product. In smaller companies, you'll wear more hats and need to be educated in more areas. You'll need to know how to find parts already made and get inexpensive, yet proper parts for your designs. The Grainger and McMaster Carr catalogs will be your friends. They didn't teach much about cost in school, but as an engineer, you have to make things for the lowest cost possible - or the company can't sell them.

Most employers want to see engineers with a GPA between 2.5 and 3.5. The 4.0 guys are usually too introverted and can't communicate well at all. Software guys are more of an exception - being an introvert is okay if you only need to write code. Also, if you like the lab lifestyle, high GPA's and Masters degrees or Phd's are going to get you the jobs that ultra-nerd/scientists have. Some people are just good at those things and we all need people like that.

Take communications classes seriously and learn as much as you can about materials.

Just keep in mind that once you're out of school, only about 20% of what you learned in college will apply. What 20% you need varies a bit though, so don't blow anything off. What you DO need to remember is that all those courses are there to make you a good problem solver that can explain and communicate the solution to other people. Also, copying other people's work might get you good grades, but when you're on your own and your boss expects you to know the answer, those other classmates won't be there for you to steal ideas from. In other words - do your own work. It's better to do it yourself and get a C, then copy somebody else and get an A. You'll learn more.

Many companies have ways for students to learn what day to day life is really like. GO VISIT A FEW COMPANIES. It's your life and career - so find out if it's right for you.

Lastly, don't blow off those economics courses. Your future job might very well depend on them. I did the regular ME stuff for about 8 years, then got into technical sales. Much happier - but that's me. I like to talk tech. Even better if I can talk tech and make money at it.

As somebody early on told me - If you're an engineer that can communicate or sell, you can write your own ticket.

For every 10 enginerds I have met in my career, maybe 1 or 2 of them could communicate. Make that a priority.

Regular_Joe
01-02-2007, 10:06 AM
I agree with sandmanblue. I am a Software Engineer for a defense contractor. Its not Mechanical Engineering, but engineering all the same. I graduated in 2000 w/ a BS in Computer Science. It all comes down to your not a one man show and your employer can't babysit you. Anyone w/ a degree can do the job, but the guys who can work well with others and solve complex problems are what companies want.

School really does 3 main things for you:

1) It gives you the basics for your discipline. This is the math and science classes. Anyone w/ that degree will also have to take and pass these.
2) It rounds you out by exposing you to different classes, groups, clubs, and activities. This is where you learn to work and communicate w/ others on many different levels. This is what you make of it.
3) It helps teach you to be a problem solver (not necessarily in your own discipline). This is where you use the skills from 1 & 2 together.

When we interview here skills is 30% of what we are looking at. The most important thing we are trying to determine is if we will be able to work with you all day every day. If we don't think you can be a team player you will not get the job. This is where the whole introvert thing comes in. If you just do what you think is right and don't communicate w/ others you can end up w/ a fabulous product, but that is useless because it doesn't fit what the customer really needs. You can be the smartest guy in the world but if you can't communicate your ideas to anyone else your useless in the real world.

As somebody early on told me - If you're an engineer that can communicate or sell, you can write your own ticket.

Thats a very true and powerful statement.

450robot
01-02-2007, 02:23 PM
thanks for all the help guys, it really opened my eyes alot.

i am not a slacker for sure, so nobody has to worry about me not keeping up with my work, as well, as keeping up with my math, science and econ/social classes

while i dont mind sitting in front of the computer alot (designing, writing, and drafting), i would love to get out there with my prototypes to test them out. i really like being the hands on guy.

as mentioned by someone, being an outgoing person, and staying away from an introvert perspective. i feel im a very easy to communicate and share ideas with.

ussually i take the side of "give me your knowledge, and i will make it my own. while you can feed off of mine." philosophy

01-02-2007, 02:43 PM
I'm a sophomore majoring in chemical engineering. Like someone else said, if you don't like or cannot hack math, engineering is not for you. If it's not too late, while in HS take all the AP classes you can, especially Calc, Chemistry, English, etc., and clep out of all the basics, that's what I did. I'm already done with all my calc, chem I and II, physics, thermo, statics, etc. So far I have a 3.8 GPA so I'm hoping the hardest is over, although P Chem and Organic may be a good challenge!

Another tough thing about engineering degrees, especially a CE degree, is all the hours! My degree requires 134 credit hours, plus they expect you to already have Calc I done, Chem I done, etc., even before you start college. On top of that, my degree requires alot of lab time, much of which you do not get credit hours for! I study all the time, but my GPA means alot to me as well.

My cousin had 3 job offers already, he graduates this may with a degree in Petroleum Engineering. He accepted the highest offer which was for $88K/year with a $22K sign on bonus. Engineering degrees pay quite well, especially in PE or CE and especially if you keep your GPA up. Good luck to ya!!

400exstud
01-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Very good info!

I am thinking about either mechanical, chemical, or nuclear engineering. I'm not a slacker as I am currently ranked 1 ( last time transcripts were handed out ) out of about 650.

Any information about nuclear engineering.

Tommy 17
01-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Im currently an ME major at PENN STATE in my junior year heres my opinion and experiences...

first off let me start this out by i was ranked 30 outta 120 in my h.s class... i'm not the smartest person you will ever meet but i'm def average or above... right now i'm running a 3.22 overall GPA...

1st year I walked in and sat down like ralph said with probably 150 other kids... I know maybe 20 that are left... People will drop out constantly but if u try u will make it! I barly made it past a few classes and i mean BARLY! but I did... don't ever quit if u try because you will usually find a way or make it somehow... never quit even thou u want 2... the classes are made to weed out the weak minded and non determined...

when we say its math intensive we really do mean it... last semester i had 6 classes and 5 of the 6 were nothing but math... one was a history class... you better be ready to do math from sun up to sun down... its also usually the same thing OVER AND OVER AND OVER but u just gotta deal with it and do it...

Also the classes are not like in h.s. where you spend 3 days learning how to do something... u learn a section of a chapter per class and move on the next class... there is no review or anything... they do example and lecture the theory... they don't actually teach you how to do it... you go back home and figure that out urself usually... u better read every chapter of the book before the class and then reread it after...

homework can kill you as an engineer... there is times where i'd start the minute i got back from classes at 4 and finish up at midnight or later... every math/engineering/chem class has graded homework due once a week... sometimes its 5 problems and other times its 20... then you have to read the chapters and teach urself it... sometimes that can take a good bit of time... sometimes its easier to go get help or ask your buddies in a group... don't be afraid to ask for help trust me everyone needs it usually... the 1st 2 years at a branch campus my homework wasn't as bad but now at the main college it SUCKS!

be expected in class to have ur conversation of the hot girl up front change to what would the work be produced from the adiabiatic turbine with a mass flow rate of 3 kg/s and the entropy at the inlet to be 330 kj/kg with an exit pressure of 2MPa and a temp of 350 degrees...

I will tell you this... your gonna hate it and be pissed off when your in ur room studying and all ur friends are out having fun and partying... the 2 other guys in my apartment are hotel and teaching majors and they do nothing... they go out and party every night and drink and have good times... not the engineers... be expected to have quizzes every friday so ur thirsty thursdays are gone... you will get to go out on friday and saturday night and usually thats it... every engineer i know that tried to party more then 2 or 3 times a week failed out... i know it sucks but u gotta put engineering 1st and riding and partying second...

Some of u that are talking about how u like to do use computer programs to draw stuff... at penn state we take one CADD class and thats it... after that you don't do drawings anymore... they told us that in the work force u are worth to much money to finialize the drawings and thats what the drafters are for... you will do some but you will be more on the design and theory aspect then actually drawing the part...

now the best part of engineering... THE MONEY! and let me tell u it is sweet... this summer i worked as an engineering intern for PennDot and i made right around 9,500$ in 4 months... the work was a joke and I made a ton of money... you will make more money then all of ur friends working for minimum wage during the summer with a job they hate... then they get really mad when u buy new toys like quads and bikes and stuff... also i noticed this about the engineers at parties... there is no drinking ****ty cheap beer we drink yingling, bud light, carona, etc because we can afford it... its nothing for me to go out and spend 50$ a weekend eating and drinking while my other friends are barly able to spend 20$... i went out this summer and bought a cbr600rr in cash and it was nothing for me to do it... no teaching major can say that...

i hope this helps out some of u guys... i said a very broad overview of my experience but if u have anything more specific u want me to talk about just let me know...

87250rxrider
01-02-2007, 08:51 PM
ok, first off, i'm going to do you a favor and not write an essay like many of the other guys have been doing, so this will be pretty short and to the point.

i am a biochem major, but also complete classes which would allow me to switch my major over the mechanical engineering at a later time. as a biochem major, i am required to take all the calculus classes, any science you can think up, and i also take classes such as physics, as well as computer design classes. i plan to get a degree in both biology and mechanical engineering if i can. as you may well know, biochem is considered one of the most difficult majors and when i complete it i will go onto get my masters degree and then hopefully onto med school.

i know you are mostly interested in mechanical engineering, but this plays hand in hand. with my major i watch friends who are history majors, or JLA majors, etc do absolutely nothing and get by with straight A's, but i will tell you right now that you will work for your grades. as a mechanical engineering major, it will be your life. math will be your life, so you better know how to do those equations in your sleep or behind your back.

just know that you will not be having nearly as much fun as you expected college to be.

-Ryan

450robot
01-02-2007, 09:09 PM
ive never, ever expected my college years to be fun. i know i am there to learn for my future, and that it is going to take dedication to work for what i want.

haha, i know tommy mentioned partying... trust me, i am NOT a party person. id much rather stick in and make sure what i need done for myself is done, before i go have some me time (i guess im a loner)

so, its gonna be tough, but i know i can get through it, obviously if this is my dream work, then i have to concentrate

01-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by 400exstud
Very good info!

I am thinking about either mechanical, chemical, or nuclear engineering. I'm not a slacker as I am currently ranked 1 ( last time transcripts were handed out ) out of about 650.

Any information about nuclear engineering.

I never even considered nuclear, but I'm sure it would pay quite well. Keep in mind if you like a wide choice in where you want to live after you graduate, your degree choice will play a huge role in that. For instance, with a degree in nuclear engineering, there are going to be a select few places that would employ those type engineers. Same is true with Petroleum, that pretty much limits your choices to Houston, New Orleans, Denver, Tulsa and a couple other smaller communities.

That is one of the reasons I chose Chemical Engineering. Well that and the fact that calc and chemistry came pretty easy for me. Your choices of the different industries that hire ChemE's is quite large, thus your choices of where to live are as well. Mechanical Engineering would give you many choices as well, since ME's are used in multiple industries too.

Here is info on top paying jobs for college graduates:
http://www.naceweb.org/press/display.asp?year=&prid=231%20
As you can see engineering makes up most of this list. Here is some info on nuclear engineering:
http://www.ncsu.edu/majors-careers/do_with_major_in/showmajor.php?id=23

Sjorge450R
01-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by atvrulz
I work as a chemical engineer and it is a fun job, but I am more of gear head, and probably should have went into the mechanical engineering field instead.

what excatly do you do?

stuntman_12
01-03-2007, 08:47 AM
I'm 19 and and I already have my engineering job! I began working on the Redstone Arsenal three years ago. Now I have my own office, computer, ect. I am cooping through Auburn to obtain my Aeronautical/Mechanical Engineering degree. The Arsenal pays for all of my schooling as well. After I graduate I will just come in my office and pick up where I left off from the previous semester, the only difference being that more money will be coming in. The gov't treats you VERY well, I'm at work now....:D

RidinRed420
01-03-2007, 09:01 AM
basically, like everyone has said mechanical engineering = alot of math.. my boyfriend was in mechanical engineering for 2 1/2 years. he did well, but he is really good at math.. and so was the kid he worked together with all the time.

now they did not spend their entire life studying... hell they'd spend maybe 6 hours a week total studying/doing homework. we partied just about every night. for finals they would pull an all nighter and get an A.

on the other hand, they were always competeing with these 2 other guys in their classes.. they were not very good at math, they spent every night doing problems, spent weeks on their finals, and would just barely pass.

if you are good at math, it will be easy. if not, you will struggle... and you will need to find a good partner to work with.

try it out, you will know quickly if its for you or not.

atvrulz
01-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
what excatly do you do?

I develop new products and improve existing products in my product line for the company I work for.
I have meetings with our sales staff and find out from them, what exactly their potential customer is looking for. Once this is done, I find out how to get it done. Starting off by development in a small pilot plant stage, and once I find out how to produce at this level, I scale up and perform alot of troubleshooting along the way.
You have to pretty motivated to be a chemical engineer or any kind of engineer, because there are many obstacles to overcome during the course of a day.
Good luck.

Tommy 17
01-03-2007, 09:41 AM
o i another thing i thought i'd add...

DO NOT BECOME A MECHANICAL ENGINEERING TECH! its def not worth the time u spend on the degree... my good friend went to pitt for this degree and graduated in 2 years with it and he can't find a job... noone wants the techs they all want the true engineering degrees... penn state and many others don't even offer the tech degree at the main campuses because its worthless!

sandmanblue
01-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Sorry - the best line in all the above was this "he hot girl up front..."

That must have been in a non-engineering class :D

EVERYONE knows there are no hot chicks in the college of engineering! LOL

Lots of good info there too.

Nuclear Engineering - one of my best friends went that route. Now he works for the gov at a nuclear waste disposal site. He can work at nuclear powerplants as well - but for whatever reason he has stayed with the gov. He has good job security but fairly narrow job opportunities outside.

If you're undecided about the discipline, consider Civil Engineering - as long as there are buildings to be built - you'll have a job. That was my second choice.

ME degrees are well suited to gearheads. It's amazing the number of guys I have me that are ME's and love bikes, atv's, cars... you name it.

Another very good friend is a structural engineer (ME) at Boeing. He's the one that told me about shooting chickens through a cannon into the windshields of aircraft. Now THAT sounds entertaining!

Tommy 17
01-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by sandmanblue

Another very good friend is a structural engineer (ME) at Boeing. He's the one that told me about shooting chickens through a cannon into the windshields of aircraft. Now THAT sounds entertaining!

we had to watch a video and do a report on this... did u see when the british messed up and couldn't figure out why no matter what they built the chickens shattered the window... then the americans went over and said thaw out the chicken before u shoot it... it cost millions of dollars before they figured out shooting a froozen chicken is like shooting a bowling ball at it:o