PDA

View Full Version : How to get a broken bolt out?

tomg
01-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Hi guys, i'm really in the s**t here hopefully someone can help me. On my honda 450r the chain snapted and smashed the case saver off along with one of the bolts. I tried drilling i hole through the bolt so i could you a screw extractor kit but the drill bit snapted inside the bolt:ermm:
So now any attempt to drill the bolt just snaps the drill bit in the drill.

I was thinking the only way to get it out would be to use a hollow drill bit like in the picture (a smaller version than in the pic), then re- thred ?- Will this work?

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks tom

d33pt
01-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Is the broken bit still stuck in there? If so, that will be tough to drill out since it's high carbon steel.

Have you tried using a bigger bit that won't break as easily? Also, try a left handed drill bit. If you've been a good boy, it may be loose enough to back out with just a LH bit.

tomg
01-01-2007, 04:44 PM
yeah its a 0.5mm bit and it's well and truly stuck.thats my problem m8.
do you rekon if i cant get it out i could put top (working bolt) in and weld the bottom? iv'e bought a duncan racing after market one.

left hand drill bit sounds like it could work tho ill give it a go.

Thanks for replying, tom

brianr134
01-01-2007, 06:45 PM
How big is the bolt? I've used a dremel tool with a cutting bit and notched a bolt to match a flat blade screw driver and then unscrewed it before. You could try tapping what you have drilled so far and then threading a reverse thread bolt in but a .5mm drill hole is rather small. The only other thing I can think of would be an easy out kit.
Just make sure you use lots of oil/wd-40.
Sorry I can't think of more things you could try. Good luck :)

Aceman
01-02-2007, 11:28 PM
I not familiar with the 450r but I'd try a left handed bit first. If that doesn't work remove the sidecover and use vise grips? Or if it's not leaking oil, just leave it until you tear the engine down, then fix it. Just throwing out ideas here.....

tomg
01-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Hiya guys, all fixed now! :)

I used a stone drill bit (bigger than the bolt) to shred the bolt and abit of the casing, so that the bolt was recessed about 5mm, then hammerd a nut into the gap and glued it. Then cut the bolt to length which then fitted right in!

thanks to everyone! hope nobody else has this problem anytime soon!:p

Tom:)