PDA

View Full Version : truck help needed!

csimp3
01-01-2007, 01:25 PM
my truck has been screwin up latley, when i turn the key i hear a ticking sound, its my fuel pump relay, then after a few minutes, when the ticking stops, the truck will start and run just fine, but it will not start until the ticking stops. i have an autometer fuel pressure guage and im wondering if there is any possibilitie that there is a slight leak in one of my pressure hoses for the fuel guage, and if there was, would it make my fuel pump run that much longer trying to build pressure? also its a 95 dakota sport, 318 v8 and a 5-speed, any input will help, thanks

Stevie-D
01-01-2007, 01:41 PM
not questioning you, but check your ignition switch. when they go bad, they will make the noise like you described

csimp3
01-01-2007, 01:51 PM
thats not a bad thought, but its definietyl fuel related, i had the cap off the fuel pump relay and watched it go back and forth, then i watched my fuel lines surge a coyuple times, very frusterating when you cant figure out why

Stevie-D
01-01-2007, 01:56 PM
try bypassing the relay. if it works fine when it is bypassed, simply get a new relay

csimp3
01-01-2007, 01:59 PM
tried that too, its been doing this for a few months now, tried almost everything i could think of, just getting really sick of it, and just today i thought maybe it could be a tiny pressure leak in my fuel pressure guage, and wanted to see if anyone else had ever had that happen

ECATV Raptor
01-01-2007, 05:01 PM
My GMC ticks for like a minute or two and then stops and runs fine. I was told that it was because the oil GMC recomends is to thin and it doesnt keep everyting lubricated well enough. So it takes a bit to get the oil runin through and lubricaten everything. I run a little thicker oil and it helps alot.

csimp3
01-01-2007, 05:41 PM
nope, not valve tick, it wont start until its done ticking

Hornbreaker
01-02-2007, 08:08 AM
A few years back a friend of mine had the same thing happin. It was his fuel pump, It ran fine when it started but shut it down and the fuel pump would lose pressure it leaked back into the tank. We replaced the pump and no more problems. That was done on a 85 Ford Bronco full size.

firefighterjosh
01-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Whats you fuel pressure look like? If your fuel pressure is good threre prally isn't a leak. IF your fuel pressure is low there is a leak.