PDA

View Full Version : Diamond J Widening Kits?

Quadjunkie
01-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Has anyone out there had some experience with Diamond J Customs widening kits? They seem to be rated pretty well, and well constructed, not to mention a less expensive alternative to extended arms, but...., things aren't always as they seem. So, if any of you guys have owned these or know anything about them I would love to hear it before I go off and buy any.

Chris

1fst400
01-01-2007, 09:24 AM
DO NOT buy it!!!

They are absolutly horible. I have one sitting in my shed out back for a 400ex that I will sell you for 50$ if you dont believe me.

Quadjunkie
01-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Why don't you like them?

1fst400
01-01-2007, 12:11 PM
They add lots of bump steer in the front end. This means when your shocks are all the way up your tires will be towed out, and when compressed they will be towed in.

That is very bad for jumping, or any rough terain riding.

Second, the tie rods are absolute junk, mine broke after 3 jumps.

Third, the kit is VERY hevy. Lots of extra un-needed weight.

deathman53
01-01-2007, 12:17 PM
I looked at them and thought they were horrible, it was explained to me by a friend that they add height to the center of gravity also. I would never ever ever buy them. I would rather put wheel spacers on than those and I can't stand spacers also, they tend the bend/break axles and spindles when used for jumping.

You will be much better off with a steering stabilizer and good aftermarket shocks. Also the k&n air filter has a bad reputation of letting fine dirt and such into the motor, they are way too pouris. If you are stuck on using one, put a pre-filter on it. If you don't believe me, remove your airbox-carb tube and look how dirty it is. I learned not to use one, when pulled off my air tube and saw tons of dirt, the bikes that used foam filters didn't have any dirt in them.

400eXr1d3rZ
01-01-2007, 01:14 PM
I would get it, but only use it for drag racing, nothing else. Better be flat drags too :blah:

300ex mxracer
01-01-2007, 01:29 PM
they are horrible. the geometry is way off because the a arms moints are extended farther than the tie-rod mounts thus creating bumpsteer. i also snapped one of the aluminum tie-rods over a finishline table, causing me to crash and bend a frame.

400ex28
01-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Your wasting your time. :o

Quadjunkie
01-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Thank you everybody for your responses. I believe in doing things right even if you have to wait to afford it. You guys here in the forum are quick becoming my favorite group of people.

Ride Hard, Go Big, or Go Home...