PDA

View Full Version : Need help this quad is killing me

YFZer
12-31-2006, 05:29 PM
I need some help guys, I traded for a 05 Limited Edition YFZ 450 the other day and it wont start. It cranks over but seems like its not cranking fast enough. I put a brand new battery in it and it didn't help none. It will roll start easily and when it gets warmed up it will start with the electric starter. You can wash it off and by the time u get done it wont start. Could my starter be bad?

12-31-2006, 09:03 PM
sounds like the valves may need adjusted, you need to check these periodically.

TWILES
12-31-2006, 09:10 PM
Sounds like it needs a new plug.

12-31-2006, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I would install a new spark plug...

YFZer
01-01-2007, 09:51 AM
I already tryed a new spark plug and it didn't help any and the valves are not real noisy and once you get it started it runs perfect

oldskoolex400
01-01-2007, 11:33 AM
what did you trade the guy? hope you got the better end of the deal still, having two problems, one with it running and it just stops running and the other not starting, that sucks

01-01-2007, 01:55 PM
the valves generally aren't too loose they are usually too tight, and if the is the case the engine is losing compression when you crank it over because the valves are opening just a little bit too soon, so when you pull start it it turns over quite a bit faster than your starter will turn it over. it will run fine this doesn't affect how it runs to where you will notice it. check the valves and let me know. you can pm me if you want.

hinesdg
01-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Get a new starter.

YFZer
01-01-2007, 02:37 PM
I traded a 04 Raptor 660 that had a million miles on it and was wore out.

ckasper18
01-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Is the motor stock

YFZer
01-01-2007, 03:24 PM
I am pretty sure the motor is all stock and it has an alba pipe and gytr jet kit installed with a K N air filter and air box drilled out.

STEVENJANNA
01-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Since you stated that the cranking seems labored but it starts OK when you roll it I would suspect an electrical issue. If the quad runs ok once it gets started I wouldn't suspect a mechanical issue, so before you tear it down I would check your connections between the battery and solenoid, solenoid to starter and battery to ground. If you have a fully charged battery and all your connections are good you're left with 2 things 1. the solenoid isn't making good contact or 2. the starter motor is tired. A valve train loosens as it wears and it could cause the compression to rise in the cylinder at the begining of the stroke but it would take some pretty loose valves and if it were that bad the engine wouldn't run right.

440ex342
01-03-2007, 03:16 PM
did you charge the new battery or just put it in if you don't charg it it won't put out enough to start it also these things won't charge a battery much if you put a meter on them they don't put out much voltage its just enough to maintain the voltage in there

norcalatver
01-03-2007, 03:38 PM
I had the same problem. Mine ended up being the cdi. Whenever it got wet it wouldn't start. Also didn't like to start when humid outside. I replaced it with a msd and everythings been awesome since.

DVickroy
01-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Mine did the same thing- I bought a used '05 also. I was used to my 450R- it was cold blooded.

Thing was, I was full choking it on cold starts and flooding it every time. The battery would wear out before the gas was cleared out. It would chug and chug and not fire. I was convinced there was a major problem with it.

If I use 1/2 choke on a cold start- it fires right up. I don't give it any gas either.

Don't know if it would be something as simple as this but just a similar experience.